DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in Canada

Seakayaker

Reactions
In Hover and DJI Go app a whole bunch of new yellow/orange circles have appeared recently and I hear all kinds of conflicting advice about what is legal for non-commercial drone hobbyist flying. Where is the best info on this? Thanks.

In Hover and DJI Go app a whole bunch of new yellow/orange circles have appeared recently and I hear all kinds of conflicting advice about what is legal for non-commercial drone hobbyist flying. Where is the best info on this? Thanks.

Welcome to MavicPilots.
In Canada, Transport Canada is the governing authority.
The links at this TC web page should provide the info you need.
https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviation/drone-safety.html
More specific at this link.
https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviation/drone-safety/proposed-rules-drones-canada.html

Here sre a few suggestions.
If you are flying from your property, even if you stay over it, let your neighbors know you have a quadcopter and will be flying it in the area.
Do not fly near any animals (pets, livestock, wild).
Do not fly near dwellings without notifying inhabitants if possible.
Always be vigilant of intrusions into your airspace. (Light aircraft, helicopters, birds, etc).
Only fly when the weather is suitable. If in doubt, don't fly.
Take note of the height of trees, buildings, towers, etc in the vicinity of your flight.
Make a preflight checklist and use it every time. (Batteries full, gimbal protector off, propellers seated, battery seated etc, ).
Much more, but this might get you started.

Check out this organization for RC flyers in Canada.
View the Clubs Affiliated with MAAC | Model Aeronautics Association of Canada

Reactions: KELLARK
I do lots of flying and I live in northern Canada but where I fly there is nobody to complain. Lol
add926a617fd921fbe667b8fae16098e.jpg

Here sre a few suggestions.
If you are flying from your property, even if you stay over it, let your neighbors know you have a quadcopter and will be flying it in the area.
Do not fly near any animals (pets, livestock, wild).
Do not fly near dwellings without notifying inhabitants if possible.
Always be vigilant of intrusions into your airspace. (Light aircraft, helicopters, birds, etc).
Only fly when the weather is suitable. If in doubt, don't fly.
Take note of the height of trees, buildings, towers, etc in the vicinity of your flight.
Make a preflight checklist and use it every time. (Batteries full, gimbal protector off, propellers seated, battery seated etc, ).
Much more, but this might get you started.

Check out this organization for RC flyers in Canada.
View the Clubs Affiliated with MAAC | Model Aeronautics Association of Canada
Thanks Ken. I am a MAAC member and have been doing my flying at our local field. I will check out your links. Much obliged!

Cheers

Actually Canada isn't too bad compared to other countries. Still room for improvement though. Some of my neighbours are totally paranoid about UAVs, feeling we are "spying" on them from 300 feet in altitude. I tell them I didn't get the model equipped with missiles nor the one with the cameras the NSA/CIA/FBI uses because it was a bit too expensive.

Actually Canada isn't too bad compared to other countries. Still room for improvement though. Some of my neighbours are totally paranoid about UAVs, feeling we are "spying" on them from 300 feet in altitude. I tell them I didn't get the model equipped with missiles nor the one with the cameras the NSA/CIA/FBI uses because it was a bit too expensive.

Good one - Thanks. I am just figuring out where all these supposed airports are in our little town. Basically I can't take photos of anything much interesting at our MAAC airfield, although I did some focus tests yesterday: Mavic Pro Platinum Focus Test1 - Gord & Marijean Harris I concluded style sharpen settings 1 or 2 were best using resolution charts.

I do lots of flying and I live in northern Canada but where I fly there is nobody to complain. Lol
add926a617fd921fbe667b8fae16098e.jpg
I hear ya mate! My son resides in Kapuskasing, Ontario and we visited last week. Took some videos of the now abandonned CFS Lowther as well as some power dams. The weather wasn't great but I would have loved to have driven a bit further North to the tree line. Next year!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jose Molina