DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in chicago

kiwimartini

Reactions
Hey guys just wondering what the rules for flying in chicago are, I heard that the city is extremely stingy about where you can fly and that parks are a no-go? I am looking for open areas where i can learn to fly my mavic and the parks would be a perfect space to fly, I am also traveling to Tampa soon and read that they don't have their own regulations so I will only have to follow the FAA's rules; am I correct? Thanks

I was in Chicago last year down by Navy Pier early in the morning. Police came over and told me to land my Mavic and put it away or they would take it and write me a $500 ticket. According to the officer its illegal to fly a drone anywhere in the city. Wasn't going to argue. But I did get an awesome video of the Ferris Wheel with the City in the background.

I was in Chicago last year down by Navy Pier early in the morning. Police came over and told me to land my Mavic and put it away or they would take it and write me a $500 ticket. According to the officer its illegal to fly a drone anywhere in the city. Wasn't going to argue. But I did get an awesome video of the Ferris Wheel with the City in the background.
Is there any credibility to this claim of a law?

I'll be there in July and would like to do some droning.

Another thread suggested that cops were accommodating if the associated park was called for permission in advance, but I was thinking of flying around the shore line near Meigs.

Anything? Does anyone know about specific laws regulating drone flying in Chicago, or is it just the word on the street that the whole city is a NFZ? Hover only shows the normal stuff (game TFRs and airport areas).

I flew at Navy Pier and had no problem, but no one was around. I can't speak to the law but I've been shut down in lots of places by people with no authority, very frustrating but I try to stay pleasant.

This gent interprets Chi-Code as exempting 107 flights from their ordinances:
(Skip to 3:30)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zantuna