DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in Madeira?

Jin03

Reactions
Hi everyone,

I visited a lot of websites and am still confused, hence asking for help here. Could someone please clarify what are the rules of flying in Madeira?

I am only a hobbyist and have my Mavic Air 2 registered here in UK. We're off to Madeira next week and haven't figured out what I need to do to be able to legally fly my drone there.

Do I really need to register at AAN website and ask for flying permission by email every time I want to fly there? What if I don't know the days, times and places where I want to fly, as we don't have any itinerary and not sure what the weather will be like? How long does it take to get the approval?

Or is it as simple as just taking the drone there, be aware of no fly zones and other general rules like flying up to 120m, always in sight etc.?

Thank you,

Jin

Reactions: Droniac
Welcome to the forum from the land of Oz. If you search Madeira in the forum there are a number of informative posts about flying there. Enjoy your trip
Regards

Welcome to the forum from the land of Oz. If you search Madeira in the forum there are a number of informative posts about flying there. Enjoy your trip
Regardsc
That's what I tried first before creating a new thread. Couldn't find anything related to my question from a year 2021, only one video taken in Madeira.

Maybe I'm not searching in a right way...? Would you please be so kind and send me a link to any of those posts with the info? Thank you!

Mate your right no recent (2021) articles. Check out uavcoach.com they have info about international flying.
Regards

Here's some links from Google, this one 2019 and quite easy going rules . . .

Not sure what the (new ?) EU drone rules may have done to the above, UAV Coach info . . .

This is supposedly 2021 info, seems pretty relaxed overall.

Here is something fairly EU official for Portugal, might be worth delving into this site a bit more . . .

Reactions: Gagey52 and Brian I
Hi everyone,

I visited a lot of websites and am still confused, hence asking for help here. Could someone please clarify what are the rules of flying in Madeira?

I am only a hobbyist and have my Mavic Air 2 registered here in UK. We're off to Madeira next week and haven't figured out what I need to do to be able to legally fly my drone there.

Do I really need to register at AAN website and ask for flying permission by email every time I want to fly there? What if I don't know the days, times and places where I want to fly, as we don't have any itinerary and not sure what the weather will be like? How long does it take to get the approval?

Or is it as simple as just taking the drone there, be aware of no fly zones and other general rules like flying up to 120m, always in sight etc.?

Thank you,

Jin
HI Jin.
Hi everyone,

Thank you,

Jin
HI Jin. Go to play store and install voanaboa. Voanaboa (cool fly) is the Portuguese app for to know where you can fly in Portugal. Then go to Madeira and you'll have the fly and no fly zones.
I hope I've helped.
By the way in Spain it's the enaire drones (it's an apk and I could only download it when in Spain (?!)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211028_190537.jpg
    Screenshot_20211028_190537.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20211028_190517_pt.anac.voanaboa.jpg
    Screenshot_20211028_190517_pt.anac.voanaboa.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20211028_190732.jpg
    Screenshot_20211028_190732.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 7
Hi everyone,

Thank you,

Jin
Sorry Jin, on the rush to tell you about voanaboa, forgot to mention that if you click on the map a screen like this will appear and will tell you if you are allowed to or not to fly. However the eu rules apply, i.e. You should have proper license, and your reg n. on the drone. I think you know this. Anything about Portugal you can also consult apdrone.pt, it's in Portuguese but Google will help

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211028_191254_pt.anac.voanaboa.jpg
    Screenshot_20211028_191254_pt.anac.voanaboa.jpg
    619.6 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: Gagey52
Hi everyone,

Thank you,

Jin
Hi Jin, I'm off to Madeira shortly and am just wondering how you got on. I've come across one reference to a need to get permission from the Portuguese civil aviation authority before using a drone to take photos or videos but none of the other guidance mentions that. If you're still around on this forum it would be good to hear from you. Andrew

There's an app for Portugal (Madeira, Azores inc.) - VOANABOA - which shows you if you have to obtain permission or not, depending on the coordinates. I attach a print screen of Madeira, and also of the app on google playstore. If you are on some place, it will recognize your location, and if you press the screen, it will appear another screen (4A and 4B) authorizing or not (or if you have to ask to permission and to whom) your flight. Hope I've helped

Attachments

• VOANABOA - Madeira 4B.jpg
    VOANABOA - Madeira 4B.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 15
  • VOANABOA - Madeira 4A.jpg
    VOANABOA - Madeira 4A.jpg
    610.5 KB · Views: 11
  • VOANABOA - Madeira 3.jpg
    VOANABOA - Madeira 3.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 16
  • VOANABOA - Madeira 2.jpg
    VOANABOA - Madeira 2.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 12
  • VOANABOA - 1.jpg
    VOANABOA - 1.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 8
There's an app for Portugal (Madeira, Azores inc.) - VOANABOA - which shows you if you have to obtain permission or not, depending on the coordinates. I attach a print screen of Madeira, and also of the app on google playstore. If you are on some place, it will recognize your location, and if you press the screen, it will appear another screen (4A and 4B) authorizing or not (or if you have to ask to permission and to whom) your flight. Hope I've helped
That's great Paul, many thanks! Seems the rules are similar to those in the UK and drone flying is allowed in most of Madeira apart from in the controlled airspace around the airport. I've read elsewhere that permission is needed to fly in national parks, and there is one in Madeira, but I'm not planning to do that.

@Andrewzc based on the VOANABOA app I see no limitations of flying in parks except for near Airport and near the Heliport of Funchal where you need ANAC authorization

@Andrewzc based on the VOANABOA app I see no limitations of flying in parks except for near Airport and near the Heliport of Funchal where you need ANAC authorization
Since there seem to be nearly no limitations at Madeira, no permission/license is needed? Or do you need a license even when the map doesn't show any red/yellow/blue areas?

Hi everyone,

Thank you,

Jin
You can check at the AAN site what's necessary, but as EU member the EU rules apply. As to the voanaboa app, if there is no forbideness you can fly. As you say acc to the general A1A3 or else rules

Funny that I should bump into this thread. I just finished going through the AAN website on capturing photo or video footage in Portugal (including Madeira) and there it says you need permission from them for any flight that you intend to take. You have to provide them a flight plan of sorts as well. As far as I understand it, you'll only get permission for 2 consecutive days of shooting, which will be valid for 60 days. And then only in the specific area you're going to shoot in.

See this page. The FAQ at the bottom of the page has clear insights too.

Hi everyone,

Thank you,

I am following this. We are off to Madeira and the Azores in March and it is confusing. I obtained my European Drone license and now trying to obtain operator approval to operate in Portugal. It doesn't seem as if I can register before I arrive as I do not have a Portuguese citizenship card and I am a Canadian citizen. If your done has a camera on board you need to register regardless of size. It looks like you can register when you land at a local government office , but I understand that Madeira and Azores also require flight plans and that can take up to 45 days ? How did it go for you ?

I'm visiting in April and wanted some input on drone laws. I was planning on bringing my Mavic 3 and flying it in Sao Miguel & Madeira, but I'm receiving mixed information about licenses, and insurance policies. Do you have any information you could provide?

Hi everyone,

Thank you,

Jin
Jin; I am travelling from Canada and went through the whole process recently. Your drone needs to be registered in the EU and I am not sure with Brexit where you stand. I registered through Germany as was easier to convert to English than Portugal. Next you have to apply for an account with the e-AAN - Login. . Then you will need to register for your flights and any flights over the water, beaches etc have to be approved through the appropriate maritime authority, but only after the AAN approves and you write and include the approval to [email protected]. . We are not there until March 10, but I applied saying I would be there Mid February to ensure I got the approvals in time. It was important for me to learn that if you are taking pictures you need to register. There was no cost to do this. The only cost I had was getting my EU license, EU registration and my liability insurance . Any questions feel free to reach out. I struggled to get it done and the information is tedious to go through

I'm visiting in April and wanted some input on drone laws. I was planning on bringing my Mavic 3 and flying it in Sao Miguel & Madeira, but I'm receiving mixed information about licenses, and insurance policies. Do you have any information you could provide?
I am travelling from Canada and went through the whole process recently. Your drone needs to be registered in the EU and I am not sure with Brexit where you stand. I registered through Germany as was easier to convert to English than Portugal. Next you have to apply for an account with the e-AAN - Login. . Then you will need to register for your flights and any flights over the water, beaches etc have to be approved through the appropriate maritime authority, but only after the AAN approves and you write and include the approval to [email protected]. . We are not there until March 10, but I applied saying I would be there Mid February to ensure I got the approvals in time. It was important for me to learn that if you are taking pictures you need to register. There was no cost to do this. The only cost I had was getting my EU license, EU registration and my liability insurance . Any questions feel free to reach out. I struggled to get it done and the information is tedious to go through

Funny that I should bump into this thread. I just finished going through the AAN website on capturing photo or video footage in Portugal (including Madeira) and there it says you need permission from them for any flight that you intend to take. You have to provide them a flight plan of sorts as well. As far as I understand it, you'll only get permission for 2 consecutive days of shooting, which will be valid for 60 days. And then only in the specific area you're going to shoot in.

See this page. The FAQ at the bottom of the page has clear insights too.
I had no problem getting approvals for 30 plus days sunrise to sunset. You can only register 3 shoots per day.I am travelling from Canada and went through the whole process recently. Your drone needs to be registered in the EU and I am not sure with Brexit where you stand. I registered through Germany as was easier to convert to English than Portugal. Next you have to apply for an account with the e-AAN - Login. . Then you will need to register for your flights and any flights over the water, beaches etc have to be approved through the appropriate maritime authority, but only after the AAN approves and you write and include the approval to [email protected]. . We are not there until March 10, but I applied saying I would be there Mid February to ensure I got the approvals in time. It was important for me to learn that if you are taking pictures you need to register. There was no cost to do this. The only cost I had was getting my EU license, EU registration and my liability insurance . Any questions feel free to reach out. I struggled to get it done and the information is tedious to go through

Since there seem to be nearly no limitations at Madeira, no permission/license is needed? Or do you need a license even when the map doesn't show any red/yellow/blue areas?
If you are taking pictures you need to register. I am travelling from Canada and went through the whole process recently. Your drone needs to be registered in the EU and I am not sure with Brexit where you stand. I registered through Germany as was easier to convert to English than Portugal. Next you have to apply for an account with the e-AAN - Login. . Then you will need to register for your flights and any flights over the water, beaches etc have to be approved through the appropriate maritime authority, but only after the AAN approves and you write and include the approval to [email protected]. . We are not there until March 10, but I applied saying I would be there Mid February to ensure I got the approvals in time. It was important for me to learn that if you are taking pictures you need to register. There was no cost to do this. The only cost I had was getting my EU license, EU registration and my liability insurance . Any questions feel free to reach out. I struggled to get it done and the information is tedious to go through

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143