DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in neighborhood?

KyserPhoto

Reactions
I live in a subdivision and from my backyard can fly around a drainage system free of houses that is kept mowed. There is a walking path through it but I can avoid that area.
I practice here but wonder since neighbors can see me practicing will this be an issue of creating dislike from them knowing I have a drone.
I am new to the area and don't want to create issues but also see no harm in this. Just wondering if anyone else has had any negative responses from neighbors.

Out of sight, out of mind. If they cant see or hear it, theres nothing for them to complain about. A Mavic at 385' is barely louder than a low flying full scale Cessna or Jet Ranger. Some members take off vertically from their home point, climb to 350 or higher, then go cruising.

I think over time it’s obvious to most reasonable neighbors that you have no nefarious intentions. I have a big dry wash 1/4 mile from my house, and have been flying over neighboring houses to get there for a couple years now. Just get where you’re going at a decent height, no hovering over private property, and it should be obvious to anyone interested what you’re doing

Really depends. Some neighbors have no guts and are already scared when they just hear the word "drone". Others will be perfectly fine and even show interest.

I personally don't fly in my neighborhood because I've had some problems with neighbors in the past.

Reactions: KyserPhoto
Thanks for the responses. Today as I was learning to fly it I did it in plain sight and at a pretty low level making it obvious I was practicing and only circling the drainage area. I would hope it would be clear a set of binoculars or telescope would be much more intrusive and easier to use to spy.

Reactions: ifly2high
Yesterday I had a neighbor down the road complain to me about invasion of privacy. First I told him he's not that interesting for me to look at from above. Also told him flying over his house is just the same to me as driving past it. I don't care what's in his front yard or his back yard. Let alone what's on his roof. I got him interested in all the feature s of the Mavic. By the time I was done talking with him he was asking me what is the best inexpensive drone to learn how to fly on. I told him to do some research. Reseach is part of the fun. I did tell him GPS is the way to go. It's not fun losing a drone no matter how cheap it is.

Yesterday I had a neighbor down the road complain to me about invasion of privacy. First I told him he's not that interesting for me to look at from above. Also told him flying over his house is just the same to me as driving past it. I don't care what's in his front yard or his back yard. Let alone what's on his roof. I got him interested in all the feature s of the Mavic. By the time I was done talking with him he was asking me what is the best inexpensive drone to learn how to fly on. I told him to do some research. Reseach is part of the fun. I did tell him GPS is the way to go. It's not fun losing a drone no matter how cheap it is.

Hey J-Dog just joined & read your post. I see it’s an oldie, but then noticed your a neighbor.

You are close. I am Right around 86th ave & 113th st.
Have you found any good places to fly here?

Last edited:
Within my flight area, I have several open spaces suitable for flight exercises, we have woods and wide fields with paths to hike, in other words perfect for a drone pilot. About 45,000 inhabitants live here, but so far I have not met a single-drone pilot.

Today when I fly and meet people I always move the drone up and away until people have passed, but often people stop and look and then I talk to them and describe a little about the drone and its ability as well as what rules we as good drone pilots have to follow. This has developed to make me feel like a Godwill Ambassador for drone flying.

So far only positive meetings.

You are close. I am Right around 86th ave & 113th st.
Have you found any good places to fly here?

Mine just shipped today. I’m a total greenhorn.
you have that baseball / soccer field nearby you bordering the trail.

Unfortunately I see PINELLAS county has special restrictions on nonflying in any county owned or managed land. I was hoping to go to Walsingham, Lake Seminole & the Boca Tower.

There is a park right by the Speedway gas station on Park Blvd at Lake Seminole. I have flown there many times. Met a couple of others that fly there also. Wide open area next to boca ciega waters and across the street from lake seminole. Freshwater saltwater. Its pretty much where I learned to fly.
***Just be careful or that top power line. You can't see it!!

Last edited:
Reactions: ZipSilver
There is a park right by the Speedway gas station on Park Blvd at Lake Seminole. I have flown there many times. Met a couple of others that fly there also. Wide open area next to boca ciega waters and across the street from lake seminole. Freshwater saltwater. Its pretty much where I learned to fly.
One of my first videos. Not super proud of it though. Its at the park I just mentioned.

***Just be careful or that top power line. You can't see it!!

Sweet I know right where that is by Home Depot!

One thing to remember that can save you some grief.

When you start out, remember a drone at least 50 to 75 feet away from neighbors when you start out, quickly appears to be right on top of them!! We learned this the HARD way as our next door 'pal' thought we were trying to take naked pix of him because it looks like you're right overhead.

This has caused us to lose a 23 yr Friend.

Rgds, NAVMAV

Reactions: ZipSilver and J-Dog
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000