Welcome Mavic Pilot!
Jump in and join our free DJI Mavic community today!

Flying in neighborhood?

KyserPhoto

Reaction score
I live in a subdivision and from my backyard can fly around a drainage system free of houses that is kept mowed. There is a walking path through it but I can avoid that area.
I practice here but wonder since neighbors can see me practicing will this be an issue of creating dislike from them knowing I have a drone.
I am new to the area and don't want to create issues but also see no harm in this. Just wondering if anyone else has had any negative responses from neighbors.

Former Member

Reaction score
Out of sight, out of mind. If they cant see or hear it, theres nothing for them to complain about. A Mavic at 385' is barely louder than a low flying full scale Cessna or Jet Ranger. Some members take off vertically from their home point, climb to 350 or higher, then go cruising.

ifly2high

Reaction score
I think over time it’s obvious to most reasonable neighbors that you have no nefarious intentions. I have a big dry wash 1/4 mile from my house, and have been flying over neighboring houses to get there for a couple years now. Just get where you’re going at a decent height, no hovering over private property, and it should be obvious to anyone interested what you’re doing

MiniPalourde

Reaction score
Really depends. Some neighbors have no guts and are already scared when they just hear the word "drone". Others will be perfectly fine and even show interest.

I personally don't fly in my neighborhood because I've had some problems with neighbors in the past.

Reactions: KyserPhoto

KyserPhoto

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Today as I was learning to fly it I did it in plain sight and at a pretty low level making it obvious I was practicing and only circling the drainage area. I would hope it would be clear a set of binoculars or telescope would be much more intrusive and easier to use to spy.

Reactions: ifly2high

J-Dog

Reaction score
Yesterday I had a neighbor down the road complain to me about invasion of privacy. First I told him he's not that interesting for me to look at from above. Also told him flying over his house is just the same to me as driving past it. I don't care what's in his front yard or his back yard. Let alone what's on his roof. I got him interested in all the feature s of the Mavic. By the time I was done talking with him he was asking me what is the best inexpensive drone to learn how to fly on. I told him to do some research. Reseach is part of the fun. I did tell him GPS is the way to go. It's not fun losing a drone no matter how cheap it is.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Reynolds4FSU