DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in Pittsburgh

adaws96

Reactions
Hello! I am an engineering student at the University of Pittsburgh. I have been flying Dji drones for about two years now...I started with a used Phantom 3 Standard and upgraded to the Mavic Air this past may.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience flying in Pittsburgh! I know that it is illegal to fly drones in any Pittsburgh Parks. I curious to see if anyone else new of any rules/good places to legally fly!

I have taken off from the West End Overlook Park before, only because I was able to fly out of the park and over the Ohio in a matter of seconds. I assume flying over the rivers is fair game? (Obviously the no-fly zones around the stadiums are there, but I was curious to see if anyone has any comments about that?)

I have flown in Oakland before, but only vertically over my house, or over a friends house where I take off from. I have to keep my drones low due to the helicopter traffic coming in and out of Presby Hospital.

Thanks!

DJI_0022.jpg DJI_0096.jpg DJI_0030.jpg DJI_0235 2.jpg DJI_0009.JPG

Reactions: Chirp
Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Hello! I am an engineering student at the University of Pittsburgh. I have been flying Dji drones for about two years now...I started with a used Phantom 3 Standard and upgraded to the Mavic Air this past may.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience flying in Pittsburgh! I know that it is illegal to fly drones in any Pittsburgh Parks. I curious to see if anyone else new of any rules/good places to legally fly!

I have taken off from the West End Overlook Park before, only because I was able to fly out of the park and over the Ohio in a matter of seconds. I assume flying over the rivers is fair game? (Obviously the no-fly zones around the stadiums are there, but I was curious to see if anyone has any comments about that?)

I have flown in Oakland before, but only vertically over my house, or over a friends house where I take off from. I have to keep my drones low due to the helicopter traffic coming in and out of Presby Hospital.

Thanks!

View attachment 46153 View attachment 46154 View attachment 46156 View attachment 46157 View attachment 46155
Howdy from Wyoming @adaws96 , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Mavic Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Mavic quadcopter’s.
Enjoy the forum! Thumbswayup

Reactions: Thomas B
looking at the sectional, it looks like there is not a large area of SFC to XX air space... much of the area is open to Drones with proper notifications.

Thanks!

View attachment 46153 View attachment 46154 View attachment 46156 View attachment 46157 View attachment 46155
Nice pics!! Used to live in Pittsburgh, the weather is great this time of the year! The waterfront is usually pretty interesting, the incline at night should be really pretty as well!

Welcome,
I live just south of Pittsburgh don't think there is a lot of flying space in the Burgh you might have to go for a ride North or South to do some good flying . fstop is right would be a bad a** shot at night at the incline but you might have to be right on Carson St. Hope you can find what you are looking for and if so let me know I might have to take a ride.If you can get a way from the Burgh fall is coming you can get some nice shots around the mountains.

Good Luck

Welcome to MavicPilots from Dayton Ohio! Fly safe and have fun!

Thanks!

I have flown from the large parking lot at the base of the Mon Incline. If I remember correctly it's $5.00 to park but to me well worth it.
I walked up to the fence which parallels the RR tracks, which parallel the river. Right at the Point. That way you are not flying over people. I have gotten some great photos of the city at twilight and in the daytime.

Reactions: adaws96
I have flown from the large parking lot at the base of the Mon Incline. If I remember correctly it's $5.00 to park but to me well worth it.
I walked up to the fence which parallels the RR tracks, which parallel the river. Right at the Point. That way you are not flying over people. I have gotten some great photos of the city at twilight and in the daytime.
That's such a great spot idea, I will give it a shot, thank you!

Reactions: Chirp

Thanks!

Hey! I am in the same shoes as you with my Mavic Pro Platinum. Were you able to find good spots to fly? I heard Boyce Park has a fly zone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair