DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in red zone

davew

Reactions
So if I want to fly recreationally in a red zone, say at 100 AGL 25 miles outside DC is a rural area (but inside red), what authorization do I need, can I use the LAANC or what is the process?

Unfortunately, you are in the DC Special Flight Rules Area. Please have a look here: No Drone Zone. You also want to check for Temporary Flight Restrictions.

Last edited:
Reactions: JSKCKNIT
I guess there-in lies the issue, in Skyward the red zone extends what looks like 60 miles and does not allow a request to be entered, I assume because it is in the red zone. Your link says at 15 miles you can fly under certain rules. Maybe the issue is with the Skyward app. I just checked Airmap and it appears to be using the 15 mile rule.

So if I want to fly recreationally in a red zone, say at 100 AGL 25 miles outside DC is a rural area (but inside red), what authorization do I need, can I use the LAANC or what is the process?
Same boat. Since you're outside the 15 mile radius, but within the 30 mile ring, you're allowed to fly with certain conditions. See the previous commentors link.

Today I received a reply from Skyward saying they are aware of the problem in their software and are working to fix it, that is the red circle incorrectly showing at 60 miles instead of 15 miles as it should be.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
IF you want to fly in red zones, try to buy a non-gps drone. I fly in red zones all time, but not with my DJI since it will never take off. Haven't had an issue in 2-3 years. OR you can have the DJI drone upgraded by a third party that will do away with the nanny parameters/restrictions.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+