DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in the Falklands

TrisMavic

Reactions
landed here this week with work and have my trusty Mavic Pro with me. Hoping when the wind allows to get some footage before I go home. Seems to be windy everyday though!! What is the limit in MPH for flying?

You might be in a no-fly zone - the RAF are stationed there. Best check it out.

Reactions: TrisMavic
The official DJI spec seems to be a max of 22 to 23mph, but whether that would be safe is beyond me. At least the vast majority of the FI is covered in soft peaty mush, so any crash might not cause too much damage ;)

I haven't been there for 36 years, but was there around spring back then, and the weather was pretty changeable, one minute 100mph winds, next total calm, but there were more than a few times that it was glorious. Seas as still as a millpond, so just wait half an hour and that wind might go away.

The Aforementioned RAF (Mount Pleasant) is way out in the sticks though. Where are you staying?

Last edited:
Can you get to San Carlos, I was there in 1982!

Afternoon Gents,

mkiii as it happens I am staying at RAF Mount Pleasant ; ) Heading to Berthas beach today to try and film some penguins if the weather allows. Sun and low wind this morning but very cold. Here for some time but unfortunately entering the winter now so very changeable weather daily. Heading to Volunteer point tomorrow but forecast not too good, Stanley next weekend so I will be keeping the batteries charged and looking for opportunities to get airborne. Liasing with the ATC guys to prevent any problems so should be all good regarding safety.

Hoping to get to San Carlos Ic hoTT that is very much somewhere I want to get some images of especially given the gravity of the events there in 1982. Dont have a battlefield tour sorted out yet but hoping to get to all of the battle sites as well.

Reactions: ICHOTT
Port San Carlos, was where I spent my time (Chinook detachment), was a good spot for heading west or north to spot penguins, and a good high range of hills to the north, (easy climb), but give a great view over that part of the islands. It has a landing stage, but I'm not sure of roads to get there. There weren't any back in 82, but it looks quite civilized now if Google maps is anything to go by. Good luck. I'm jealous.

Got airborne today at Bertha's beach approx 20 min drive from Mount Pleasant and got a few snaps along the beach. Just a flight to ensure the GPS and Compass Cal was ok really while the sun was out and the wind low. More to follow as I get more. Helicopter ride to Volunteer point yesterday taking lots of photos of the King Penguin colony there but not with the mavic as the guide wasnt keen. Spoken to the Falkland Island CAA office today and have a laminated copy of the local guidance (Just IAW CAA law) so if any members of the public confront me I will show them that. Dount many have seen one here just have to respect the ranges from the wildlife.

In contact with the FI CAA Director for future flights now. Contact within the ATC logging any launches and if need be will issue a NOTAM to ensure safe flights. Refreshing to have help to ensure safe flights and ability to fly rather than barriers and resistance. Compass Cal was a breeze on initial startup it alerted me to the need to do one which was reassuring given the 8000 mile trip down.

Biggest issue down here is the gusts can be very strong and the weather changes so quickly. Updates to follow when I get a chance to fly again.

Flew yesterday at San Carlos bay for the landing commemoration. Surprisingly the wind remained low for most of the day. Will upload a few shots ASAP

Port San Carlos, was where I spent my time (Chinook detachment), was a good spot for heading west or north to spot penguins, and a good high range of hills to the north, (easy climb), but give a great view over that part of the islands. It has a landing stage, but I'm not sure of roads to get there. There weren't any back in 82, but it looks quite civilized now if Google maps is anything to go by. Good luck. I'm jealous.

Got a few shots in the bay and a little filming as we came down the dirt track in a defender towards San Carlos. Unable to upload video due to bandwidth here but will try and get a few photos up asap.

Got a few shots in the bay and a little filming as we came down the dirt track in a defender towards San Carlos. Unable to upload video due to bandwidth here but will try and get a few photos up asap.
My Sons just come back from there on three month detachment

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Surprise