DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in the fog/clouds

I'm not a licensed pilot, or even a pt 107 licensee. Maybe the IFR pilots among us can answer this question: Let's say you had a fog layer with top below 400' AGL. Could you file an IFR flight plan with the FAA for a 10 minute flight above the obscuration level?
yes

Reactions: Hauptmann
yep, sorry. I got confused as I was directed here, thinking I was in another post. But you guys aren't giving him credit. Aren't you amazed at the skill it took ? He had to to hold the joystick back for a really long time. Actually, in my world that isn't a demonstration of anything but utter stupidity.

Operators like this are BEGGING for the FAA to get tough on drones. Forget Air Force One. As soon as one of these immature, self absorbed children has one get sucked into an engine, even if the aircraft survives, or drops one on a child playing in his back yard, the hammer will come down. And with the number of similarly ridiculous videos I have seen from such egocentric, a**holes, it might be time for it to happen. All someone has to do to show how dangerous these things can be is to come on here or Youtube and have posts like this tell them the story. And just as bothersome is when they get replies like "SuperCool Video. Thanks for posting", and "Not the record, Less than half". Are these guys all 10 years old? I have been dealing with the FAA as a pilot for many years. Believe me, they don't always wait to set rules after something happens. Sometimes, the threat to safety is so obvious that they act to prevent, before the newsworthy event occurs. And when they act, pilots often feel that they over do it. I hope people like this don't force their hand.

As a professional pilot, I have been shocked and saddened by much of what I have seen on this board. I was hoping for more some level of maturity, integrity, and situational awareness. I am also aware from the replies that many drone pilots are as bothered by this as I am. I just thought that would be the norm. Now, I wonder.
I agree with you 100% sir thank you very much. Please read my reply #54

I have seen posts on this board stating that one flew through fog, not clouds. Just be aware that fog IS a form of cloud. To the FAA, and to the law, it doesn't matter. It is illegal in the US. And if you are so unfortunate as to impact an occupied aircraft while operating in such a manner, the FAA and federal law enforcement authorities will be your MINOR problem The attorney for the aircraft owner/occupants will be your Major problem. I'm pretty sure the law suit would be for more than legal fees and cost of damages. I think it would go to punitive damages, since you would be violating federal law with impunity. Punitive damages are the ones where they keep adding zeros to the end of the number till their fingers get tired. DON"T DO IT.

Reactions: Classic flyer
I have seen posts on this board stating that one flew through fog, not clouds. Just be aware that fog IS a form of cloud. To the FAA, and to the law, it doesn't matter. It is illegal in the US. And if you are so unfortunate as to impact an occupied aircraft while operating in such a manner, the FAA and federal law enforcement authorities will be your MINOR problem The attorney for the aircraft owner/occupants will be your Major problem. I'm pretty sure the law suit would be for more than legal fees and cost of damages. I think it would go to punitive damages, since you would be violating federal law with impunity. Punitive damages are the ones where they keep adding zeros to the end of the number till their fingers get tired. DON"T DO IT.
Amen brother...while stupidity in itself isn't illegal it sure is costly

Kool! I'm going to get my part 107 license and try it (after filing IFR flight plan).

Imagine a foggy day in SF with only bridge towers, high-rises and Coit Tower above the fog?
You had better look at the part 107 rules. Your cannot fly IFR. Even with a part 107. Though the pics would be epic.

I'm not a licensed pilot, or even a pt 107 licensee. Maybe the IFR pilots among us can answer this question: Let's say you had a fog layer with top below 400' AGL. Could you file an IFR flight plan with the FAA for a 10 minute flight above the obscuration level?

No

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MemphisDrone