DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in windy conditions

lopezjbl

Reactions
Does anyone have any input on this: I would like to know your thoughts and expereince in flying the MP in windy conditions. Specifically, what is the maximum wind outside you recommend flying in? I'm looking for a number such as "feel safe to fly in anything under 20mph" or something like that. I'm coming from a Parrot Bebop 2 and I used to fly it in winds up to 20 mph without any issues. It could handle 30 mph but to be safe 20 was my limit before I grounded it due to wind sheer. What are your thoughts for the Mavic Pro?

Does anyone have any input on this: I would like to know your thoughts and expereince in flying the MP in windy conditions. Specifically, what is the maximum wind outside you recommend flying in? I'm looking for a number such as "feel safe to fly in anything under 20mph" or something like that. I'm coming from a Parrot Bebop 2 and I used to fly it in winds up to 20 mph without any issues. It could handle 30 mph but to be safe 20 was my limit before I grounded it due to wind sheer. What are your thoughts for the Mavic Pro?
I believe the Mavic specs are below 22 mph.

In the Mavic Pro FAQ, DJI states the following:

"The Mavic can withstand a level 5 wind, also called a fresh breeze. This is defined as wind speeds of 19–24mph (29–38kph)."

If you choose to fly in strong winds, keep in mind the Mavic will have a harder time flying back to the home point when flying into the wind. That means it'll require more battery power than usual and will possibly be pushed away from the home point if the wind is too strong.

The real difficulty is assessing the wind speed at your location, especially once higher up.
At quite low wind speed the app shows a red box warning, this can be disregarded but be cautious close to anything you might hit.
The next stage warning is yellow across the top of the screen, this means you are close to the limit.
It is wise to fly very conservatively if the amber warning is showing, don't go far downwind for example as even slight further increase means you may not get back.

I fly on beaches 90% of the time. It is always windy so I pay strict attention to several things. First, I watch my altitude and distance and always keep my MP in my line of sight in case it starts acting weird. Second, if I get a message that there are strong winds I lower the MP and start to bring it back closer to home. Third, I always fly INTO THE WIND when I start and use no more than 30% of my battery flying OUT. That way I know I will have plenty of battery for my return and will have the wind at my back. Too many beginners don't do this and they may fly out with the wind at their back and then not have enough battery left to get back. Use the rule we use as scuba divers: swim into the current for 30% of your air. Drift back with the current (return) with 30% of your air. Use 30% to get back to the surface (land the drone) and come home with 10% cushion. Better to be safe than broke(n).

Here's my experience . . . MAVIC is exceptionally capable in high wind. . . just avoid landing near blowing debris/sand/dust etc . . tough to do in high wind.
Video of Mavic Wind Limits! >40mph or 18m/s
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Reactions: Warren36bolton
I fly on beaches 90% of the time. It is always windy so I pay strict attention to several things. First, I watch my altitude and distance and always keep my MP in my line of sight in case it starts acting weird. Second, if I get a message that there are strong winds I lower the MP and start to bring it back closer to home. Third, I always fly INTO THE WIND when I start and use no more than 30% of my battery flying OUT. That way I know I will have plenty of battery for my return and will have the wind at my back. Too many beginners don't do this and they may fly out with the wind at their back and then not have enough battery left to get back. Use the rule we use as scuba divers: swim into the current for 30% of your air. Drift back with the current (return) with 30% of your air. Use 30% to get back to the surface (land the drone) and come home with 10% cushion. Better to be safe than broke(n).
That's definitely good rules to follow, any other insights coming from diving experiences? like never fly/dive too many times a day to keep body health? [emoji4]

Reactions: Huge Bama Fan
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DvrkDrone