DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in your own neighborhood

Nah...it was in the low 30's.

No interest in going south for the winter. I am certain that the snowmobiling really sucks in Texas.

I took mine up a couple times by my house. But it‘s wooded, so I can’t fly anywhere without it being out of sight from the ground. So it was interesting to see what the view looked like, and to see the house from above, but that’s about it. I don’t like it because of the proximity to the trees.

A9E2AE13-11F4-4530-9C6C-1A4FE7F6C753.jpeg

I took mine up a couple times by my house. But it‘s wooded, so I can’t fly anywhere without it being out of sight from the ground. So it was interesting to see what the view looked like, and to see the house from above, but that’s about it. I don’t like it because of the proximity to the trees.

View attachment 88744
That looks a lot like my neighborhood. I live in northern CA between Sac and SLT. Where are you?

Reactions: bheiser1
That looks a lot like my neighborhood. I live in northern CA between Sac and SLT. Where are you?

I’m in CA also, just over an hour from Yosemite (to the north). ?

There are actually other houses around. That angle through the treetops make it look like I’m in the wilderness :).

Reactions: Camino Ken
My neighbors have all been good about it. I tend to fly over the street and if I want to go outside of the area I'll go 250-300 ft up and fly to where I want.

Yes..... fly in my neighborhood all the time.....I live in a 55+ gated golf community and ther are about 10 foyers who live here...A few months ago I was doing a video of one of our golf courses and I must have had 5 or 6 couples stop ask me questions and watch me flying...all were very interested..
Nothing negative...

I do all the time. Since this is my neighborhood, it's not much of a problem. I don't do much in urban areas though.

Attachments

• 2018-08-15_JZfarm_scattered-showers_0001_edit_ds_PI.jpg
    2018-08-15_JZfarm_scattered-showers_0001_edit_ds_PI.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 2019-01-27_snow-fields_0013_cropped_edit_ds.jpg
    2019-01-27_snow-fields_0013_cropped_edit_ds.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 19
Do you fly in your own neighborhood and have you had your neighbor watch or ask about your drone?

Yes I let everyone in the neighborhood watch know that I use the drone late at night for storm watch and Perimeter checks. I also let them know its geared up with a Wet Suit for search and rescue.

I posted pictures of all the drones and email everyone Storm Pictures and possible threats.

My storm pictures get a bit thumbs up as do a few of the videos.
I post.

I highly recommend everyone sign up and introduce your selves , your drone and how you save the world with it. lol .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in and out of the Storm.

Last picture I posted in the Neighbor hood watch :
Tornado warning :
Screenshot 12-28-2019 10.44.19.png

Some of the ideas :
Start off with some sunset pics :
Some high alt pictures of the neighbor hood
Most people do not know what is surrounding them
Capture some police lights and post that
I also notify them of fish in the river.
The list of things you can provide our endless.

A little goes a long way.

Sadly no flying in my neighborhood. I did go up a couple of times when I first got my mp but then the local international airport changed their approach routes and I’m squarely under class c now. Oh well,it was nice while it lasted. Of course now we have new rules and licensing in Canada which gives me some more freedom to fly,but still not in my neighbourhood.

I like to fly around my neighborhood and everyone around me is very nice and likes to watch my MP fly around. Once on our HOA Facebook page a resident made a post that he saw a drone (not mine) flying over his house below 500 feet and that he would shoot it down with his shotgun or a homemade jamming device if he saw it again. I posted that drones are not allowed to fly over 400 feet and he said drones weren’t allowed over his house without his expressed written permission.
I DMd the guy with the FAA drone operation references plus some state of Texas laws and he apologized. There’s a difference between overflight and taking pictures and actual surveillance. Education was the key.

I live in a real residential area, I have about 10 neighbours within a half a mile.
I have spoken with all my neighbours about the drone, and I’ve never had an issue.
I have offered to take aerial photos of my neighbours propertit’s. and most appreciate that.

I live in a real residential area, I have about 10 neighbours within a half a mile.
I have spoken with all my neighbours about the drone, and I’ve never had an issue.
I have offered to take aerial photos of my neighbours propertit’s. and most appreciate that.
Perhaps that word would be less problematic if it is spelled properties

Have flown in my suburban neighborhood many times. Neighbors are interested and some have asked for copies of neighborhood orbits I’ve done or a video of their roof to look for storm damage. Generally fly above 200 ft so my Mavic Air with Master Air Screw props is barely audible. I’ve had zero issues or complaints even though I‘ve heard through social media of at least one drone lost in someone’s tree in the near vicinity.

I learn something every day from this forum. I realize in the UK things have to be "proper", but I didn't realize this applied to breasts too. I assume where you live it's not proper for a woman to wear a TShirt without a bra on (unlike California), so I assume you're saying it's only proper to take photos of women with a bra, and they appreciate it, only when they are dressed proper. Is that correct?

Reactions: JanB and Camino Ken
Yes. In my backyard I go straight up to 150 ft, fly down my driveway, down the cul de sac, and if no traffic, fly down the street. 200 ft is max since I am in a Class D airspace.
At 150 ft at sunset, the view is beautiful with the sun shining on taller University buildings nearby.
A couple of neighbors are fascinated with my P4 and have come out to watch.

I have flown over my neighborhood a few times.... a loss of control at worst would crack a tile on someones roof or land in a pool... neighbors don't care... I am up and away not looking in windows!!
I had to exit porch sideways cuz of the fwd sensors!!

I fly when I need to test something. Some people look, most don't care. I used to go to the local park to run test but that was when I had DIY drones that were pretty unreliable compared to this. It takes a while to break through the scared barrier but once you pass it, you can pretty much fly anywhere. I like to fly above the nearest tallest obstacles though unless I need some close-up shots then I use tripod mode with OA on. You can get used to flying very high though but the images when you are too high suck plus it gets boring as it always feels and looks the same. The real quality is when you fly close and tight. A Spark indoors is also better than the other drones but the image quality far out of course isn't as good as the better DJI drones.

Yes two complaints at two properties. I did not over fly or look at either but both are a paranoid. So I’m careful. I have a golf course behind one house. Ironically I was testing sports mode back and forth over my property when the neighbour complained. I guess it was annoying. Don’t do that any more.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian