DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying Indoors with metal architecture?

Citizen Flier

Reactions
I have a project that might require a birdseye view from inside an abandoned factory or similar structure. Perhaps I'll be able to get the shot from an interior landing, catwalk etc using a DSLR. But a tall structure with no accessible higher floors might require a drone. I have only flown in remote natural settings far from metal structures. Would a structure with steel beams, girders & corrugated roofing cause the navigational control system to be unmanageable? I have only flown manually (no intelligent flight modes so far) but I know that the GPS & navigational system are what make the M2P so easy to control. Anyone have successful experience in a scenario like this? Thanks

This is just a sample I found online. I have no idea what might be available in my area.
Factory_Interior.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Outback Joe
You will have no GPS stability, your height will be restricted, and the metal will probably cause compass errors. I would not try it without prop guards.

I've flown in VPS mode (no GPS available) in Florida Fairgrounds Expo building with success, but it did restrict my height to somewhere between 10 and 15 feet. It was very stable though.

I had no compass errors launching from the Expo floor.

But at work we have an undeveloped part of the building where I could not launch from the floor due to magnetic interference. Launched from a desk instead.

Search forum how to swap one of stock modes to ATTI mode and fly in atti with no sensors or gps, by visual only. That should be safer.

Reactions: Kilrah
Yep, exactly that. Operated that way in such environments several times.

Be sure you 're well trained to fly in ATTI, and expect misbehavior especially around yaw orientation.

I have a project that might require a birdseye view from inside an abandoned factory or similar structure. Perhaps I'll be able to get the shot from an interior landing, catwalk etc using a DSLR. But a tall structure with no accessible higher floors might require a drone. I have only flown in remote natural settings far from metal structures. Would a structure with steel beams, girders & corrugated roofing cause the navigational control system to be unmanageable? I have only flown manually (no intelligent flight modes so far) but I know that the GPS & navigational system are what make the M2P so easy to control. Anyone have successful experience in a scenario like this?
Metal walls and roof will block GPS, leaving your drone in atti mode.
It won't have horizontal position holding ability or brakes so you would have to be very gentle on the joysticks.
Like driving on ice.
The steelwork shouldn't affect the compass unless you get close.
If you leave the VPS sensors enabled, your height will be limited to 10 feet.
Turn the VPS off to go to 100 feet when flying with no GPS.

I would turn on the Tripod Mode feature.

It let's you very precisely navigate your AC with ease.

Just keep in mind what others said... you will not have GPS assistance so your AC will be wobbly, for sure.

If you're not familiar with atti mode flying, I would fly outside in an open area and practice without GPS tracking for a while.

You'll get good at it in no time.

Practice practice practice. I have flown in a local firehouse that blocks GPS. The above recommendations of Tripod mode and as I stated practice are your best. You could change a mode to atti mode as stated in several post. Just be careful and remember to fly safe.

Below is a video that will show you how to change the program value on your mode selection switch. This will enable you to switch to true ATTI mode. Also, here are the default values for the modes switch.

S - SPORT: 8
P - POSITION: 7 (GPS Mode)
T - TRIPOD: 12

The value for ATTI: 3

In the video they show changing the TRIPOD mode to ATTI mode by replacing the 12 with a 3. I changed my SPORT mode instead as I prefer to keep TRIPOD for Close and Slow flying in tight areas, and use ATTI for structures and metal facilities.

Please remember to PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE until you are good at flying in ATTI mode BEFORE you try flying indoors or inside the metal structure you described above.

Good Luck, Be Safe, and have a Successful Flight!

I would add here - choose either sport or tripod only for swap with atti.
Usual way is to alter P mode settings with EXP and sensitivity dialed quite down to make it more cinematic and keep sport fast, then swap tripod for atti.
Other approach is keeping all stock in P mode and swapping S mode to atti, so tripod is used for cinematic. Some like it better that way, i do not. You cannot rely much on tripod mode indoors as it tries to stabilize position non stop. If/when both gps and compass get bad enough interference - drone can dart sideways and crash. That is why atti indoors is the best, as it is a dumb mode with minimal logic, so, it is the most reliable one.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom