DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying Indoors

jazar

Reactions
I have had a Mavic Pro for several months. Flown over 120 times, all out doors. I am reluctant to even let the props spin indoors. I am thinking about giving it a try. My ceilings are 10ft high. I am thinking of using tripod mode to ensure that I don't make any sudden movements that might crash into something. However, I don't think I get into tripod mode until the drone has lifted off and hovering.

It is my understanding that the drone relies on the vision positioning system when no GPS is available. Since I will be flying indoors and there will always be obstacles within 20 ft, does it make sense to turn off obstacle avoidance or would that disable the vision positioning too?

Any advice on flying indoors would be appreciated. Never tried it before.

Reactions: radman
Any advice on flying indoors would be appreciated.
Get some prop guards, make sure there are no people/pets in the flying area, and fly in a location that'll give you enough room to maneuver. Unless you have a really good reason to fly indoors (other than ticking it off your bucket list), you might want to head outdoors instead.

Last edited:
The downward sensors are going to keep it above anything it's over... so if you decide to drift it above a bookcase or a floor lamp, you may find yourself coming perilously close to the ceiling. The amount of light in the room and the texture of the floor has a lot to do with it's ability to hover stationary.

I've played with mine in a much smaller place than what you're talking about, and one thing I never bargained on was how strong the prop wash would be. It blew over a lamp and a vase, and blew loose papers all over the place, even ones that it wasn't particularly close to. But I had to try it just for the hell of it... but once was plenty.

Reactions: Bunny Too
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7