DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying indoors

Really nice video. You obviously put a lot of time and thought into making this.

Just a suggestion for those that dare flying indoors..... turn off landing protection. Downward sensors should still be on as this helps the AC position and stabilize itself. Front sensors can be turned off to stop OA.

Disabling LP eliminates the pause at .5 meters where you have to confirm landing. With LP off, you have full control all the way to landing and it will still gently touch down.
You only need to hold down the stick once the feet are firmly on the ground to stop the props, and can take off immediately as long as the props haven't stopped. This was designed as a final safety confirmation when landing, but could actually work against you if having a difficult time controling the Mavic during landing when you need to get it down quickly.

Thank you. I will add that to my list of indoor requirements..

Man, it's disheartening but good to hear about all these indoor problems! I was beginning to think it was me. Tried for about an hour two days ago in a rusted hulk of a brick building covered in graffiti. Beautiful decay in all its glory but flying inside was a heart stopping nightmare even in tripod mode! The Mavic just wouldn't obey stop commands and would suddenly shift directions and accelerate.. we're talkin' brick and steel vs plastic... I was fortunate not to crash but probably lost two years off my lifespan!

You have to take some risks with these things to get great shots but.. it comes at a price.

This is a test from the location. I wanted to try a few sound effects against a series of somewhat random shots.. You'll see a runaway Mavic at the end...

Cool video. I'm assuming that most of the instances when the Mavic went a little BATTI, the lighting in that area was quite dim (as in the final shot). It seems to me like the Mavic is able to behave extremely well as long as the VPS system is able to keep it in check, but when the lighting is poor, or the surface below is unsuitable, then the VPS system can't work and the Mavic goes into proper ATTI mode, and this is when this start to go wrong.

Reactions: jpbluzharp
Cool video. I'm assuming that most of the instances when the Mavic went a little BATTI, the lighting in that area was quite dim (as in the final shot). It seems to me like the Mavic is able to behave extremely well as long as the VPS system is able to keep it in check, but when the lighting is poor, or the surface below is unsuitable, then the VPS system can't work and the Mavic goes into proper ATTI mode, and this is when this start to go wrong.
Thanks, Lighting may indeed be an issue but I hope it will improve in short time! It wasn't all that dark in the areas where it seemed to take off.. fortunately it wasn't too rapid. That said it was strange that it wouldn't respond quickly to stick commands.

They're still amazing devices!

From the manual on conditions that could cause the AC to go into Atti Mode. Many of the conditions listed are found while flying indoors.

The aircraft will switch from P-mode to Atti mode automatically if neither GPS nor Forward and Downward Vision Systems are available. Operate the aircraft with great caution in the following situations:

Flying over monochrome surfaces (e.g. pure black, pure white, pure red, pure green). Flying over a highly re ective surfaces.
Flying at high speeds of over 22mph (36kph) at 2 meters or over 11mph (18kph) 1 meter. Flying over water or transparent surfaces.

Flying over moving surfaces or objects.
Flying in an area where the lighting changes frequently or drastically.
Flying over extremely dark (lux < 10) or bright (lux > 100,000) surfaces.
Flying over surfaces that can absorb sound waves (e.g. thick carpet).
Flying over surfaces without clear patterns or texture.
Flying over surfaces with identical repeating patterns or textures (e.g. tiling).
Flying over inclined surfaces that will de ect sound waves away from the aircraft.

From the manual on conditions that could cause the AC to go into Atti Mode. Many of the conditions listed are found while flying indoors.

The aircraft will switch from P-mode to Atti mode automatically if neither GPS nor Forward and Downward Vision Systems are available. Operate the aircraft with great caution in the following situations:

Flying over monochrome surfaces (e.g. pure black, pure white, pure red, pure green). Flying over a highly re ective surfaces.
Flying at high speeds of over 22mph (36kph) at 2 meters or over 11mph (18kph) 1 meter. Flying over water or transparent surfaces.

Flying over surfaces with identical repeating patterns or textures (e.g. tiling).
Flying over inclined surfaces that will de ect sound waves away from the aircraft.
Yup, I'm aware of how and when the Mavic switches between the modes. My comment was more about the fact that while in OPTI mode, the Mavic seems able to behave properly, and responds properly to stick inputs, while in (B)ATTI mode, there have be numerous reports of the Mavic not responding to stick inputs.

That said it was strange that it wouldn't respond quickly to stick commands.
This is the most worrying thing to me about the Mavic. Way too many reports indicating the Mavic sometimes seems to completely ignore stick inputs while in (B)ATTI mode.

Yup, I'm aware of how and when the Mavic switches between the modes. My comment was more about the fact that while in OPTI mode, the Mavic seems able to behave properly, and responds properly to stick inputs, while in (B)ATTI mode, there have be numerous reports of the Mavic not responding to stick inputs.
Probably one of the reasons that atti is not selectable mode. Its reported behavior in Atti by many is very concerning.

Last edited:

So, in short they're saying.. "Thank you for your purchase. Whatever you do.. DON'T FLY THIS THING!"

Funny.
I'm sure they'll work things out. (Hopefully)

Reactions: Mavicsailor
It's good to hear that I'm not the only Mavic pilot who has trouble flying indoors. After 3 attempts at flying indoors, I will never fly it indoors again.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure