DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying Mavic Mini without a phone - Lesson Learned

Mac Man

Reactions
I received my Mavic mini for Christmas. This morning when I got up I noticed the cloud cover was perfect for a beautiful sunrise. I grabbed my gear and ran for the park where I have been flying. When I got there and set up I was unable to connect to the MM. I hit “Connect Aircraft”, but in camera view got the warning “RC not Connected”. I won’t go through the next 30 minutes of connecting and disconnecting and deleting software, re-downloading the software, and the names I was calling DJI. In the meantime the sky overhead was getting redder and redder. I’ll just admit now that my cable was connected to the RC, but not to the phone. So, the controller and drone were bound, but there was no data transmitted to the phone. I could not change settings, I could not see video, and I could not verify things like GPS connection. So here is the lesson, and it’s not to remember to connect the cable, although that is a mistake I will not make again.
In preparation for my Christmas present, I purchased an inexpensive Drone that does not have video, GPS, or a phone connection. I was very comfortable flying without those things. So, this was the perfect opportunity to see what could be done without a phone connection. I thought this would be good practice in case my phone battery should die midflight, or I simply forgot a cable and needed to fly, or the cable was unplugged like this time.
Knowing the various warning signals based on the flashing lights of the MM, I could tell it was ready to fly. It was flashing a slow green light which means it’s in P-mode and has GPS. I flew the drone over to the other end of an open field and tested RTH. It worked perfectly. Without the connection to the phone I was unable to set the return to home altitude, but it appeared to be my previous setting of 100 feet. I flew the drone up above the trees, and without knowing if it would work, took pictures and video of the sunrise using the manual buttons on the front of the RC. Later after downloading the SD card I was happy to see that I did get photos and video. Should I find myself in this situation emergently, I now know the capability of flying with the RC alone. I would recommend giving this a try in a safe area, so you will be comfortable during a failure. Learn the flashing code, how each manual button works, and give it all a try.

Starting a flight without the app will limit altitude and distance. If the app disconnects mid-flight, it will continue to fly normally without limits.

Reactions: Mac Man
I like this post, it is a good idea to try to fly without the aid of the screen but some warnings will not be seen. Fly carefully folks!

Reactions: Emanáku
I have a third party cable but the app keeps saying the drone isn't connected. I did a test flight with just the remote and it works. is that any quick solution to get connected? at this point, I'm considering sending it back.

I received my Mavic mini for Christmas. This morning when I got up I noticed the cloud cover was perfect for a beautiful sunrise. I grabbed my gear and ran for the park where I have been flying. When I got there and set up I was unable to connect to the MM. I hit “Connect Aircraft”, but in camera view got the warning “RC not Connected”. I won’t go through the next 30 minutes of connecting and disconnecting and deleting software, re-downloading the software, and the names I was calling DJI. In the meantime the sky overhead was getting redder and redder. I’ll just admit now that my cable was connected to the RC, but not to the phone. So, the controller and drone were bound, but there was no data transmitted to the phone. I could not change settings, I could not see video, and I could not verify things like GPS connection. So here is the lesson, and it’s not to remember to connect the cable, although that is a mistake I will not make again.
In preparation for my Christmas present, I purchased an inexpensive Drone that does not have video, GPS, or a phone connection. I was very comfortable flying without those things. So, this was the perfect opportunity to see what could be done without a phone connection. I thought this would be good practice in case my phone battery should die midflight, or I simply forgot a cable and needed to fly, or the cable was unplugged like this time.
Knowing the various warning signals based on the flashing lights of the MM, I could tell it was ready to fly. It was flashing a slow green light which means it’s in P-mode and has GPS. I flew the drone over to the other end of an open field and tested RTH. It worked perfectly. Without the connection to the phone I was unable to set the return to home altitude, but it appeared to be my previous setting of 100 feet. I flew the drone up above the trees, and without knowing if it would work, took pictures and video of the sunrise using the manual buttons on the front of the RC. Later after downloading the SD card I was happy to see that I did get photos and video. Should I find myself in this situation emergently, I now know the capability of flying with the RC alone. I would recommend giving this a try in a safe area, so you will be comfortable during a failure. Learn the flashing code, how each manual button works, and give it all a try.
What is the "flashing code"?
I have seen green, Purple, yellow, etc, seems like all the colors of the rainbow.
Thanks

Reactions: Emanáku and Pooch
I like this post, it is a good idea to try to fly without the aid of the screen but some warnings will not be seen. Fly carefully folks!
You have a better chance of getting it back with the mavic RC readout display, but the mini took alot of those features out. Can charge the RC while I'm running it with the mavic, but not the mini. I could put a better tablet/phone holder in place of the cradle, but not with the propriety short wires that won't hardly reach the phone in the RC cradle.

I have a third party cable but the app keeps saying the drone isn't connected. I did a test flight with just the remote and it works. is that any quick solution to get connected?
I’d try another cable first. I bought 2 cheap cables and found that one didn’t work. I sent them both back as I didn’t trust the quality control. After some good advice, I bought a ConnecThor cable (Ultimate tablet holders | thors-drone-world) - well made and worked first time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan