DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying Mavic Pro bought in Mexico

Wrightvideo

Reactions
I bought a Mavic Pro in Merida, Yucatan, Mexico. I have flown it several times in California but now it won't take off. Is there a Law that states Drones purchased in Mexico need to be registered in U.S.? Why can't I take off?

What does it say? What color in the map is the zone you are trying to fly from? You may need to attempt motor start to get details as to reason for not starting.

Not specific to your not being able to take off, but yes, you do need to register with FAA to fly legally, even for hobby. If not flying in controlled airspace, then you don't have to get authorization from LAANC or DroneZone but DJI geofencing is separate from FAA authorization.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Yeah, as said above - check online on the DJI site if you want to see in advance if you can fly. Also, DJI can ground drones around local emergencies (in Australia, around bushfires because of water-bombers).

What does it say? What color in the map is the zone you are trying to fly from? You may need to attempt motor start to get details as to reason for not starting.
The B4Ufly app is giving two warnings: Ontario Airport Airspace Authorizaiton Required. I am a registered commercial operator with my 107 Licence. My other Mavic Air takes off just fine.

Not specific to your not being able to take off, but yes, you do need to register with FAA to fly legally, even for hobby. If not flying in controlled airspace, then you don't have to get authorization from LAANC or DroneZone but DJI geofencing is separate from FAA authorization.
I am registered and I am in controlled "D" airspace. Thank you, I will check the DJI geofencing.

The B4Ufly app is giving two warnings: Ontario Airport Airspace Authorizaiton Required. I am a registered commercial operator with my 107 Licence. My other Mavic Air takes off just fine.
I got it. Thank you for your help. SEE BELOW
Part 107 Operational Waiver Application Instructions Note on foreign aircraft/operators: if the small Unmanned Aircraft System (sUAS) you plan to use for your proposed operation is of foreign registry, owned, controlled, or operated by a person who is not a citizen or permanent resident of the United States, the FAA considers the sUAS to be a “foreign civil aircraft” as defined in 14 CFR § 375.1. This section requires the non-citizen or non-permanent resident to apply to the Office of the Secretary’s Foreign Air Carrier Licensing Division for permission to operate in the United States. Please visit https://cms.dot.gov/policy/aviation-policy/licensing/foreign-carriers for more information.

I am registered and I am in controlled "D" airspace. Thank you, I will check the DJI geofencing.
Thank you for taking the time to reply:
Part 107 Operational Waiver Application Instructions Note on foreign aircraft/operators: if the small Unmanned Aircraft System (sUAS) you plan to use for your proposed operation is of foreign registry, owned, controlled, or operated by a person who is not a citizen or permanent resident of the United States, the FAA considers the sUAS to be a “foreign civil aircraft” as defined in 14 CFR § 375.1. This section requires the non-citizen or non-permanent resident to apply to the Office of the Secretary’s Foreign Air Carrier Licensing Division for permission to operate in the United States. Please visit https://cms.dot.gov/policy/aviation-policy/licensing/foreign-carriers for more information.

From your original description, you're a US citizen/resident and you already have your part 107, so foreigner rules should not apply to you. You will need to register your new quad in order to fly it under 107 rules but not under hobbyist rules.

By color of zone, I was referring to the DJI map in the Go app or on DJI's flysafe website. DJI geofencing operates separately from FAA system though DJI does try to correlate their map with FAA facilities map.

Reactions: dawgpilot
If the DJI restrictions are bogus for your flying situation there are tools on this forum to disable those nuisances.

Reactions: Davros007
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky