DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help! Recommended Drone For Capturing Whales?

It is almost whale season off the coast of Nayarit in Mexico and I want to calibrate if I have the best drone for the job.

I previously used the DJI Mavic 2 Pro and it worked well. The only item on the wish list back then was a better zoom capability so that I could get closer to the subject without flying as far out.

I now currently have the Air 2S. Is that good enough?

What is needed
- wind resistance
- good battery life
- zoom capability (minimizing degradation of image, video)
- optics that work well with water reflection, sun

Wondering if I need to spend on the Mavic 3 classic or the Air 3 or for my needs, or just fly the Air 2S.

View attachment 167744
Drones are required to maintain an elevation of no less than 1,000 feet when within a half nautical-mile radius (about 3,038 feet or 925 metres) of any marine mammal, including whales. That should be considered when deciding on which drone is most appropriate.

Drones are required to maintain an elevation of no less than 1,000 feet when within a half nautical-mile radius (about 3,038 feet or 925 metres) of any marine mammal, including whales.
You are located in Vancouver, Canada, is the 1,000 foot rule a Canadian rule?

The OP is located in Mexico and the rules/laws outright prohibit it… UAVs cannot be flown over people or animals. Operators, whether individuals or corporations, are required to respect all laws and regulations, both federal and local.

And the rules are extremely strict!

The rules for boats in Mexico allow authorized vessels to approach whales no closer than 200ft (330ft for blue and fin whales). Vessels with no whale watching permits have to keep 800ft distance.

In the US, the legal approach distance for unmanned aircraft, such as drones, is 100 yards or 300 feet for humpback whales in Hawaii. Although, the legal approach distance for other marine mammals and in other states has not yet been established, this does not mean that it is safe to fly your drone around marine mammals. Due to the FAA rule that requires drones to fly below 133 yards/400 feet, if you fly your drone above a marine mammal you could potentially be harassing the animal and be in violation of the MMPA and ESA for protected species. Pacific Whale Foundation (PWF) recommends taking the precautionary approach; if you spot a marine mammal or sea turtle while operating your drone, do not linger above or follow the animal.

The rule for approaching whales in a boat are much the same… Federal law requires vessels to remain 100 yards away from humpback whales in Hawaii and Alaska waters, 200 yards from killer whales in Washington State inland waters, and 500 yards away from North Atlantic right whales throughout U.S. waters.

We all know it is done and probably most are illegally performed (nothing like seeing the reflection of the drone off the whales back…)

Reactions: ahagert
Drones are required to maintain an elevation of no less than 1,000 feet when within a half nautical-mile radius (about 3,038 feet or 925 metres) of any marine mammal, including whales. That should be considered when deciding on which drone is most appropriate.

Sounds like a job for the Mavic 3 Pro 7x camera.

• Haha
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I know nothing of the Mavic 3’s but as a wildlife photographer, have to say that’s a gorgeous photograph! It’s a very touching one also, the calf is just heartwarming.

Have you considered working with a stock agency that specializes in wildlife photography? Shots like yours could be sold through an agency like Alamy or others.

Nice work!

The OP is located in Mexico and the rules/laws outright prohibit it… UAVs cannot be flown over people or animals. Operators, whether individuals or corporations, are required to respect all laws and regulations, both federal and local.

The rules for boats in Mexico allow authorized vessels to approach whales no closer than 200ft (330ft for blue and fin whales). Vessels with no whale watching permits have to keep 800ft distance.

In the US, the legal approach distance for unmanned aircraft, such as drones, is 100 yards or 300 feet for humpback whales in Hawaii. Although, the legal approach distance for other marine mammals and in other states has not yet been established, this does not mean that it is safe to fly your drone around marine mammals. Due to the FAA rule that requires drones to fly below 133 yards/400 feet, if you fly your drone above a marine mammal you could potentially be harassing the animal and be in violation of the MMPA and ESA for protected species. Pacific Whale Foundation (PWF) recommends taking the precautionary approach; if you spot a marine mammal or sea turtle while operating your drone, do not linger above or follow the animal.

The rule for approaching whales in a boat are much the same… Federal law requires vessels to remain 100 yards away from humpback whales in Hawaii and Alaska waters, 200 yards from killer whales in Washington State inland waters, and 500 yards away from North Atlantic right whales throughout U.S. waters.

We all know it is done and probably most are illegally performed (nothing like seeing the reflection of the drone off the whales back…)
Thanks for sharing this information. I did not know there were established guidelines!

Reactions: LoudThunder
I know nothing of the Mavic 3’s but as a wildlife photographer, have to say that’s a gorgeous photograph! It’s a very touching one also, the calf is just heartwarming.

Have you considered working with a stock agency that specializes in wildlife photography? Shots like yours could be sold through an agency like Alamy or others.

Nice work!
Thanks for the compliment and for the tip. I will certainly look up the agency you mentioned. Awesome!

Get drone insurance from State Farm. I pay $6 a month for my Air 2S.
How does that work? Don't you have to provide the physical drone in the event of loss? Do they look at the logs to confirm it was not pilot error? I always assumed the burden of proof would be high in getting a payout.

I had to show the receipts for purchase and pics. For a claim, I think that I would just show pics of the broken drone with serial number or police report if stolen. I am not sure on flyaway.

Last edited:
  • Wow

Didn’t know either- good post. Mexico used to be open to pretty much any whale encounter back when we used to visit. Scammon’s Lagoon and Magdelena Bay in Baja had tours all the time. Glad to see they’ve changed for the benefit of the whales.

How does that work? Don't you have to provide the physical drone in the event of loss? Do they look at the logs to confirm it was not pilot error? I always assumed the burden of proof would be high in getting a payout.

Many of us here seem to be north of 60.

We lived a good chunk of our lives where people were largely trustworthy, and insurance fraud was a manageable small portion of baddies.

We don't live in a society like that anymore, and it's quite a burden on the honest among us. Everything is a lot more work.

@ahagert ,welcome to the forum
in respect of your thread title ,then my recommendation would be ,A very large one ;);););)
with an even larger net attached to it:):):):):):)
sorry my stupid attempt at humour got the better of me

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer