DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help! Recommended Drone For Capturing Whales?

ahagert

Reactions
It is almost whale season off the coast of Nayarit in Mexico and I want to calibrate if I have the best drone for the job.

I previously used the DJI Mavic 2 Pro and it worked well. The only item on the wish list back then was a better zoom capability so that I could get closer to the subject without flying as far out.

I now currently have the Air 2S. Is that good enough?

What is needed
- wind resistance
- good battery life
- zoom capability (minimizing degradation of image, video)
- optics that work well with water reflection, sun

Wondering if I need to spend on the Mavic 3 classic or the Air 3 or for my needs, or just fly the Air 2S.

D7E987A6-5B3B-44C0-9B59-E06133498126.JPG

Last edited:
In my Opinion the Air 2S is good enough as your still going to have to negotiate the wind, battery and Reflection.
You might consider getting a Rescue Pod for the Air 2S as a emergency float system if you do end up in the water.
This way you would secure your SD card footage , that would be my # 1 Prioirty.

It will also help you Hand Catch your drone if your flying from a Boat. something to consider for your adventure. The Rescue Pods are 1/3 the weight of the Rescue Jacket and just enough to keep the drone from sinking.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

What is needed
- wind resistance
The Air 3 and Mavic 3 are the drones best able to deal with windy conditions.
They both have a max speed of 21 metres/sec.
- good battery life
Mavic 3 and Air 3 have long battery life - both with max flight time >40 minutes (under controlled conditions).
The Mavic 3 pro is the current model with the highest magnification.
Mavic 3 pro - Wide camera
i-fXx4gxn-M.jpg

Short tele
i-rZvfKcV-M.jpg

Long tele
i-Bdp63Pf-M.jpg

No drone camera will be any better than any other drone camera here.
Wondering if I need to spend on the Mavic 3 classic or the Air 3 or for my needs, or just fly the Air 2S.
If you want magnification, no other drone comes close to the Mavic 3 pro.

The Air 3 and Mavic 3 are the drones best able to deal with windy conditions.
They both have a max speed of 21 metres/sec.

Mavic 3 and Air 3 have long battery life - both with max flight time >40 minutes (under controlled conditions).

The Mavic 3 pro is the current model with the highest magnification.
Mavic 3 pro - Wide camera
i-fXx4gxn-M.jpg

Short tele
i-rZvfKcV-M.jpg

Long tele
i-Bdp63Pf-M.jpg

No drone camera will be any better than any other drone camera here.

If you want magnification, no other drone comes close to the Mavic 3 pro.
WOW, the magnification (zoom) is impressive! I was not aware. I am so scared of spending so much money given the inevitable risk of flying over water for almost 100% of my flights.

Last edited:
I know nothing of the Mavic 3’s but as a wildlife photographer, have to say that’s a gorgeous photograph! It’s a very touching one also, the calf is just heartwarming.

Have you considered working with a stock agency that specializes in wildlife photography? Shots like yours could be sold through an agency like Alamy or others.

Nice work!

Last edited:
Reactions: ahagert and Torque
I think this was an interesting video, as it brings the attention to the Air 3 or does it. ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water,

Everyone argues incessantly about sensor size, resolution, quad vs not bayer, etc etc etc.

To me, which no one can argue with, the A3 images and footage looked significantly better than the A2S.

I am so scared of spending so much money given the inevitable risk of flying over water for almost 100% of my flights.
Can you buy loss insurance on whatever drone you use?

Reactions: ahagert
It is almost whale season off the coast of Nayarit in Mexico and I want to calibrate if I have the best drone for the job.

I previously used the DJI Mavic 2 Pro and it worked well. The only item on the wish list back then was a better zoom capability so that I could get closer to the subject without flying as far out.

What is needed
- wind resistance
- good battery life

View attachment 167744
I would use an Air 2S or I suppose now an Air 3. Good luck! I hope you are a MX citizen!

What is needed
- wind resistance
- good battery life

View attachment 167744
You mentioned that you were considering the Mavic 3 Classic. I do not recommend that model for the features that you are looking for. I have the Classic and it has minimal zoom (3x). That is why I bought it, saving hundreds of dollars. I knew I would not need or use the zoom lens on the Mavic 3 (Pro did not exist back then). I do not regret my purchase and am very happy with the videos and photos i get, and I still see that I never would have used those features that cost hundreds and hundreds of dollars more. Don't get me wrong.... It would be a BLAST to have the new PRO, but I would only be 'tinkering' with it and not using it to it's full potential regularly. And.... um... Uh Oh.... I think I just talked myself into getting the Pro. What have I done. I'm doomed. I'll shut up now.

• Haha
I'm sorry, but the thread title brought out my inner meaness and I was going to make a wisecrack about the size of a drone needed to capture a whale
Me too… I was thinking about editing a photo of the ''Pequod," adding some rotors to the sails and with Capt Ahab at the controller…

ahab.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
I too would recommend the Air 3

What is needed
- wind resistance
- good battery life

View attachment 167744
Seems like you are leaning towards the Mavic 3 Pro, lol. I will cosign that purchase for you lol

"Recommended Drone For Capturing Whales?"

I don't know, but it better be a big one... 😉

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm in a goofy mood this morning.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seacorope