DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying Mavic Pro in extreme cold weather

Joly

Reactions
Hi,

In the coming months I have planned a trip to the north of Sweden.
The temperature can be lower than -25°C.
The normal operating temperature of the Mavic Pro is between 0°C and 40°C.
Has anyone already flown the Mavic Pro is such a temperature?
Is it possible?
If so, what was the experience? All tips for flying in such conditions are more than welcome.

Kind regards,

Joly

Reactions: #28 and LucVN
This winter I plan to do a few experiments. It's already -30C here but I've only flown down to -20C. No problem. I'd like to try at -30C or even -40C, but in that extreme temperature I think I will have to get my wife to sew a "cozy" for the Mavic!

Good luck keeping your fingers from freezing! This is my greatest struggle in cold weather flying.

I also like to land at about 50% battery just to be safe. And I keep batteries warm before flight. Either on defrosters in vehicle or at least in a pocket near my skin.

I noticed more compass and loss of GPS in finland -20 probably because the battery voltage or a power issue due to the cold. I would advise not to increase or decrease altitude too fast, be gentle on the battery.

.?? Fly in cold weather? Wear gloves...
The interactive photo is done with Hangar 360. Some cannot get it to work consistently. But when it does....very nice.

.?? Fly in cold weather? Wear gloves...
The interactive photo is done with Hangar 360. Some cannot get it to work consistently. But when it does....very nice.

The latest firmware has added pano's to the Mavic and Dji Go 4.

Hi.

In the coming months I have planned a trip to the north of Sweden.
The temperature can be lower than -25°C.
The normal operating temperature of the Mavic Pro is between 0°C and 40°C.
Has anyone already flown the Mavic Pro is such a temperature?
Is it possible?
If so, what was the experience? All tips for flying in such conditions are more than welcome.

Kind regards,

Hello.

i am in North of Sweden at Åre and went to up to 500m and trough the fog on -18°c, evrithing went smooth and was okay after when i landed plopelers was a bit wet & ice luckly nothing happend but got nice picture and video with my Mavic Pro.

Attachments

• LogoLicious_20180112_200051.jpg
    LogoLicious_20180112_200051.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 84
I have conducted 2 tests (results on my YT channel) and the Mavic actually performs better than in extreme heat! Flew in -26 celsius (from inside my vehicle!) with no issues at all.

I have flown regularly in -30c to -34c in Alaska during the winter without issues. I have gloves that work with touch screens or stay inside my car. So long as the battery is kept warm before take off and let the aircraft hover for a minute after take off to get the battery temp up to 20-22c and it will stay in that range for the flight in my experience. Keep an eye on the battery temp though. Also stay close and realize your flight then might be shorter due to the temp.

Winter flying is fantastic by the way. Beautiful and clear as can be when it’s that cold.

Im waiting Northern Lights then try to catch some on video or photo.
Do some know good app or website about the wind speed above ground what shows by Altitude?

Thanks.
UAV forecast

Reactions: #28
I am having the jello issue with the camera at -10° but as not everyone has apparently this problem in cold weather I will try to have a fix by dji because my mavic is 2 weeks old

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tore Korsnes