DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying near Disneyland

Yes, it is unusually large NFZ.

Meanwhile, I live right across water from downtown Manhattan and have no hard restrictions, just heliports to watch out for (and tons of interference). I never noticed how low some NYPD helicopters fly.

Anaheim PD fly around my neighborhood often. And they get pretty low. My guess is around 200'.APD.jpg

I personally think anyone should be able to fly up to some predetermined safe ceiling at least within the confines of their property. I am not a big fan of govt. over reaching intrusion into individuals freedoms or property rights. The restriction looks over reaching to me but the FAA mostly works with air spaces in circles and round numbers so ?? Sounds like the original zone was established to prevent manned aircraft but now applies to drones so not much you can do. As stated above I wish there could be a simple process to apply for special lift of restrictions ABOVE on ones property up to say 200"

Disney cant expand that big.... 3 mile radius is excessive, but is not like we can change anything anyway.

It will probably take lawsuits.... there is NO reason for this size NFZ. One should be able to fly at the local park or your own back yard...

Orlando now requires you to have a permit anywhere you fly within city limits. I read it an article. They have really cracked down. They dont own the airspace in orlando but they own the land you stand on to fly a uav. So now they are charging for daily, monthly permits. I think even yearly. Just an fyi especially since disney is in orlando.

There is a good chunk of Garden Grove that is far enough from any airport to be Class G airspace but is covered by the Disneyland NFZ. I have no interest in flying near or even photographing Disney property, but I can't fly over a large area in Garden Grove. This includes Garden Grove police, who I do a lot of stories on - with their cooperation, and North Net Fire training center in Anaheim - again, with the cooperation of Anaheim Fire & Rescue. Disney's overreach is putting unfair restrictions over areas that have nothing to do with them.
Again, I have no interest Disney property.

Anaheim PD fly around my neighborhood often. And they get pretty low. My guess is around 200'.View attachment 2919
Hi Pinch. You are right, I was told by an Orange County Sheriff Department helicopter pilot that they can get as low at 200 feet in rare cases, but really hate going below 800 feet for safety reasons.

"Angel conducts routine patrols between 800 and 1,000 feet but can conduct surveillance from between 8,000 and 10,000 feet, with the suspects on the ground having no clue she’s up there."
From an Anaheim PD story I worked on. (the photography is mine)
When it comes to keeping Anaheim safe, this Angel in the sky answers a lot of prayers

Reactions: Shotinthenads
I know this thread is pretty much dead, but figured I might throw this out there. I bought the Mavic Air today and even though I read this thread a couple weeks ago and knew I was in the NFZ (I live 1.8 miles from Disneyland :mad:), I decided to see if it would work in my house. After setting it up, it was having issues locating my location since I was indoors. It kept repeating ATTI mode which is what I heard enables when it can't acquire a GPS signal. Anyways, I decided to hit "takeoff", and it actually started flying. I was able to fly it around my house for a good 20 minutes. Decided to change the battery, and it actually acquired my location and now I can't fly it anymore. I know it's not ideal to fly indoors, but I figured it's good practice when I'm alone in the house.

Any ideas on how to replicate this?

**UPDATE** So I was able to get it flying again indoors. Using DJI Assistant 2, I rolled back to the original firmware it came with. Took less than 2 minutes. I went out to Buena Park and flew it around, and came back to the house and was still able to fly in ATTI mode indoors. However, from what I read the reliability of the signal is way better with the newer firmware. I suppose I'll just upgrade and roll back as needed.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk