DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying near people and housed

Well, with the glide slope of a quadcopter, if you have an engine failure, look down to see where you're landing. Perhaps that's why the "don't fly over people" requirement.
That is precisely what I have already stated! A quadcopter drone has no glide angle, it just drops.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B
In Australia, you’re not supposed to fly over people at all, unless they are directly involved in operation of the drone (spotter, 2nd operator as photog, ect). 30 metres is as close as you can get without having the highest operator level (ReOC) and a waiver. A point about that 30 metre rule: it isn’t a DOME, it’s a CONE that extends all the way up to the max altitude you are allowed to fly, which is 120 metres. Go above that and you’re breaking another regulation.
Well, it is not really a cone, I think you meant to say a cylinder, since there is no tapering in any way.

I think this article may help give you some practical guidance:

Used to hang around rotorcraft pilots. THAT give me the heebiejeebies!

Well, it is not really a cone, I think you meant to say a cylinder, since there is no tapering in any way.
Oh, but there is a trajectory. If you’re flying at 40mph and the motor dies, you’re not dropping straight down. I believe the FAA requires that you take your trajectory under consideration when flying near people

Up here in Canada, you have to stay 30 m (100 ft) horizontally from people, regardless of your altitude. Your crew, or anyone related to your "mission" are exempt.

Flying over people is Illegal: only if having a parachute. Flying over people is a violation of 14CFR 107.39. Recreational pilots should not be flying over people or moving vehicles.
Can't fly over occupied vehicles
Can't fly over sporting events
Can't fly over National Parks
Can't fly close to Airports

Flying over people is Illegal: only if having a parachute. Flying over people is a violation of 14CFR 107.39. Recreational pilots should not be flying over people or moving vehicles.
Can't fly over occupied vehicles
Can't fly over sporting events
Can't fly over National Parks
Can't fly close to Airports
Except, you can fly over national parks. National Park Service even admits they have no authority to prohibit it.

Attachments

• DB3ED44A-6A83-4217-BD06-E8EB7D18DAA8.png
    DB3ED44A-6A83-4217-BD06-E8EB7D18DAA8.png
    987.9 KB · Views: 10
mmmm that could be sometimes impossible .obviously we dont fly intentionally over people but sometimes people may be under your flight path .
I see that all the time on YouTube videos and from very experienced pilots who have their Part 107 and teach classes. Do the rules not apply to them and aren't they at risk of getting fined by the FAA watching their videos? One of the guys I follow took his Mini 2 through a downtown area at night. He piloted the drone over parking lots with people walking in them, under a bridge and then over a large Bass Pro Shops building in Memphis. It was an incredible video to watch but is he allowed to fly over parking lots with people? From the frame grab I attached, he was easily 1000 feet away from the top of the building where he eventually went and I doubt he had VLOS the whole time. Even so, he was hovering over BPS parking lot and never tilted the camera down to look for people. I didn't see him directly fly over people but if they got out of their cars while he was passing over them, could he still get in trouble if the FAA were watching it?

I'm not trying to bust his chops, I'm genuinely curious how YouTubers can show the world their videos and not get in trouble for the stuff we supposedly can't get away with. Also, for the guys that do videos of multi-mile range tests, are they excluded from VLOS or are there loop holes?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-11-23 021746.png
    Screenshot 2020-11-23 021746.png
    849.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot 2020-11-23 023707.png
    Screenshot 2020-11-23 023707.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Reactions: ninja_geezer
I believe you're incorrect but I could be wrong. If someone is working on a production, involved with the shoot(actor/athlete) they would be considered "participating in the drone operation" and flight over them wouldn't be prohibited.
Doperation only involves the PIC and visual observers. As a workaround you can have your athletes or actors to be visual observers, but they would have to be looking at your drone directly during the flight.

Except, you can fly over national parks. National Park Service even admits they have no authority to prohibit it.
Funny thing too is, the "rules" state that the drone can't disturb wildlife yet here in The Great Smoky Mountains National Park, there's a place called Cades Cove which allows tourists to drive (and walk) right up to wildlife. Stupid tourists are constantly walking up to bears to take selfies and had even been bit by protective momma bears which are then put down. Maybe they should ban ground vehicles and give us drone pilots access to fly over national parks with mandatory flight plans and minimum height restrictions.

Attachments

• CadesCovecd77307.jpg
    CadesCovecd77307.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Reactions: Corsair415
In Australia, you’re not supposed to fly over people at all, unless they are directly involved in operation of the drone (spotter, 2nd operator as photog, ect). 30 metres is as close as you can get without having the highest operator level (ReOC) and a waiver. A point about that 30 metre rule: it isn’t a DOME, it’s a CONE that extends all the way up to the max altitude you are allowed to fly, which is 120 metres. Go above that and you’re breaking another regulation.
Actually it is a cylinder, not a cone.

Too many pilots think like car owners, that their engine will never stop and therefore, allow themselves to fly over terrain that would not allow a safe outcome if they had to put it down in an engine out situation.
Drone pilots think like that because drones aren't aircraft with a specific destination. In a large majority of cases, the drone in question is a flying tripod, with the pilot angling for a particular shot. Thus, they will position their aircraft for a shot much like a photographer would, rather than a light aircraft pilot. You're making a lot of valid points but you're also showing a lot of arrogance towards enthusiasts piloting what is essentially a 250g camera.

Reactions: RonW
Still not answered :) I've been wondering the same thing. Being an engineer, I'm very literal. If I'm told I cannot fly directly overhead, then I'm drawing a circle around a person's foot print, and then extending that in a cylinder from surface to ceiling. That is now the space I cannot invade? So I can come with a faction of an inch from being directly overhead, but not quite. I keep expecting there is a horizontal buffer distance, but not unless stated.

With that said, still need the proper altitude over anyone, anything. This is hypothetical, my intent is always to stay way away from everyone.
Yeah, here in Australia you cannot fly a drone closer than 30 m to people — other than those helping you to fly or navigate your drone. This means there is a cylinder around them from the surface to max height, just as you described. It DOES NOT mean there is a 30 m "bubble" over people as a malfunctioning drone falling from 30+ m up onto people below would create quite an injury; exactly the very thing that the ruling is trying to avoid.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sikiruikhun