DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying near wildlife

Regulations aside ... The wideangle lens on your drone is about the worst possible lens for wildlife photography.
You can't get close enough to get any worthwhile wildlife photos without being at a distance that would be considered harrassing.
Forget your drone for wildlife photography and use a decent telephoto lens on your real camera.
The only way to use a drone with wildlife, is as a spotter, to give you prior information on the current location of animals, however if they are small they will view a drone as a hovering bird of prey and disappear!
If they are large then it’s very difficult to “creep” up as they are very attuned to the slightest sound..
As a previous member stated your best bet is a good telephoto lens linked to patience and good luck

Attachments

• 7004810C-8460-4398-9BC4-284EDC12D722.jpeg
    7004810C-8460-4398-9BC4-284EDC12D722.jpeg
    137.6 KB · Views: 15
Wonder what they were running from? They should have been calmly grazing. Personally, haven’t seen deer or elk in AZ or Canada “playing chase”.
Running from each other guess you don't have a clue.

Hunted and raised deer for years, you get to know their body language, they are in no way scared in either video.

Here’s one of a number of pages from Arizona Game and Fish Dept. limits on drones. Even if you don’t look at it you should check your local laws and NFS regs.

Was not in pursuit, was not to hunt, was not chasing. Sorry you see it different, would not hunt with drone, fair chase that's me.

Reactions: Thomas B
Was not in pursuit, was not to hunt, was not chasing. Sorry you see it different, would not hunt with drone, fair chase that's me.
No finger pointing intended. Just don’t want drone users running afoul of game wardens... stiff fines, confiscations, etc. I too am a hunter.

I think deer are majestic creatures, love watching them more than I like hunting them. Would never intentionally cause them stress, I appreciate your concerns as well.

"Here’s one of a number of pages from Arizona Game and Fish Dept. limits on drones. Even if you don’t look at it you should check your local laws and NFS regs."

I posted that previously and that started the discussion that got me in trouble because one person said he thought the rules were "stupid" and I won't repeat my response to that.

There was a wildlife article about Walrus habits changing because of global warming, the piece show walrus falling from a cliff. Turns out the mob filming (Drone footage) had something to do with the outcome.
Found this ‘Our Planet’ film crew is still lying about walrus cliff deaths: here’s how we know
Some drone footage was doing the rounds about elephants falling of a waterfall, I couldn't watch it but sounds a bit like the same thing.
In Australia there are similar laws regarding drones and whales as to the US. Much puplicity as to how whales are effected negatively except.............wildlife rangers/parks people/some professional photographers can get special permits to use the same drones for "Research" at any distance from the whales.
Interesting piece Are drones disturbing marine mammals? Is noise pollution by drones interfering with marine wildlife research?
Animals handle things differently, most are spooked others interested. They do get used to drones being around.

Can someone tell me what the regulations are for flying in proximity to wildlife? I've seen footage of drones coming within meters from tigers, for example, but I assume there is some regulation that technically says you cannot get within "x meters" of animals, such as nesting birds, etc. Can people let me know where to look?

IMO, if your drone causes the critters to move or run away from you , the you are most definitely bothering/harassing/agitating them and should stop right away.

Reactions: BluecornNM
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrose