DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying on commercial aircraft with a drone

Camera equipment is generally inspected. I had brought several cameras in a backpack back to China and had to unload all of them and open all of them up. Took 20 minutes to unload, show and load back in. To his credit, the TSA guy was pretty cool and asked a lot of questions about the older cameras (One from the 1870s). Think your situation would be much less complicated though and as long as you cooperate with TSA and don't make a fuss, and don't try flying your drone on the aircraft (haha... just a joke), you should be OK.
In 2001 I took a three week trip to Alaska with my film 35mm camera.

Flew in and out of places like Anchorage, Juneau, Saint Paul... never had an issue. By the end of the trip I had accumulated over 4 dozen cannisters of film.

Flying back to Juneau from Glacier Bay on August 13th the security folk at the dinky little Glaciar Bay/Gustavus airport insisted on opening up and inspecting each and every last one of those cannisters (while some local moose watched from the other side of the parking lot).

Less than a month later 9/11 happened.

I remain convinced somebody knew something and they were on heightened alert.

I've flown with a Mavic Air and 2 Pro many times. The only thing that's ever come up is occasionally the TSA agents mention they really want to get one.
Did you tell them you had it with you or was it picked up in the scan?

Most if not all airlines that we have flown with (and that includes Jet Blue) have pretty detailed info on how to deal with batteries on flights-mostly in LiPo bags and in your carry on. Worth a quick check with your airline.

Most if not all airlines that we have flown with (and that includes Jet Blue) have pretty detailed info on how to deal with batteries on flights-mostly in LiPo bags and in your carry on. Worth a quick check with your airline.
I've not seen any that mention LiPo bags.
If you know one that does, I'd be interested to see it.

I've not seen any that mention LiPo bags.
If you know one that does, I'd be interested to see it.
Ugh! We haven‘t flown for 2 years and am putting the Christmas tree up right now. Will see if I can find them later. I had them all in a file (printed of course as I am so old!). I put my Spark batteries in small LiPO for our last flights in 2019 and all OK. TSA we’re much more interested in my 2 metal hips!!

Put your batteries in Lipo bags, travel with the batts in a depleted or low charge state if possible and all batteries need to be in carry on. You should not have any issues.

Not that I know of. If anything might cause a problem, the batteries might. I'm not sure exactly as to what the rules are I do remember that whenever I went flying, batteries would always be required to be left back. However, I think batteries inside of things are fine (laptop, phone, inside of drone batteries etc.)
Most airlines only allow Lion, Lithium ion, batteries to be carried in the cabin in your personal effects. I always take all batteries in my backpack when I board the aircraft. The drone, etc. I check the suitcase in the baggage area. Do not put batteries in your checked luggage.

Reactions: BSauce955
Do you have to take your drone out of your bag like your laptop when going through security?

Put your batteries in Lipo bags, travel with the batts in a depleted or low charge state if possible
There are no requirements to discharge batteries before flying.
That's another forum myth.
Do you have to take your drone out of your bag like your laptop when going through security?
Usually not, where I've flown, but if they are curious they might ask you to open and show what's inside.

TSA we’re much more interested in my 2 metal hips!!
They probably suspected gun parts actually surgically implanted in your body, removed in the aircraft toilet after take off and used to take over the plane before you bleed to death.
Can't be too careful !

and don't try flying your drone on the aircraft (haha... just a joke),

One YouTube 'influenza' DID fly their drone on an Emirates flight, in a private cabin, not hard to find on YouTube with a search (emirates fly drone on plane, 1st hit 7:23).
Was a Spark, he nearly lost it in the cabin, looked like atti, somehow closed Go4, he hand caught it (just), and dimwit didn't even know to kill motors immediately turning on its side, had to power button it off.
Emirates then changed their carry on policy to lipo batteries only, drone is checked baggage, still their policy today.
I think they are perhaps the only airline with that policy.

Reactions: twickers14
There are no requirements to discharge batteries before flying.
That's another forum myth.

Usually not, where I've flown, but if they are curious they might ask you to open and show what's inside.
I didn't say it was a requirement- its just something I do if I can before I travel. I figure if anything goes wrong with a battery, there is less stored energy to deal with.

FWIW, I am sitting at the gate at MKE hading home. I took my Air 2S in a LowePro backpack through security from PDX and again in MKE. In neither case, did my pack even get inspected.

I got some great shots of the home I grew up in, as well as the parks, river and such in my hometown.

Transporting the drone was painless and well worth the effort!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliesunique