DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying on commercial aircraft with a drone

I would like to take my Mavic mini2 with me to fly to Washington state is there any rules i need to know first?
Not that I know of. If anything might cause a problem, the batteries might. I'm not sure exactly as to what the rules are I do remember that whenever I went flying, batteries would always be required to be left back. However, I think batteries inside of things are fine (laptop, phone, inside of drone batteries etc.)

Reactions: MARK (LI)
As far as I know you can take it as carry-on. You can not have LiPo batteries in checked baggage, regardless of whether it is in the drone or not. I'm not sure I would want my drone in checked baggage anyway.

Reactions: crlmjohnson
I took my mini 2 round trip on Delta. I didn't have a LiPo bag at the time, and nobody complained (I have one now).
It's only in forums like this that you see recommendations for LiPo bags.
No airline or air safety authority recommends them and the TSA people probably have no idea what they are.

Camera equipment is generally inspected. I had brought several cameras in a backpack back to China and had to unload all of them and open all of them up. Took 20 minutes to unload, show and load back in. To his credit, the TSA guy was pretty cool and asked a lot of questions about the older cameras (One from the 1870s). Think your situation would be much less complicated though and as long as you cooperate with TSA and don't make a fuss, and don't try flying your drone on the aircraft (haha... just a joke), you should be OK.

Check the airline website. I recent flew Southwest with a Parrot Anafi (two 3400mAh batteries) and had no issues with TSA or the airline.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dstuart
Camera equipment is generally inspected. I had brought several cameras in a backpack back to China and had to unload all of them and open all of them up. Took 20 minutes to unload, show and load back in. To his credit, the TSA guy was pretty cool and asked a lot of questions about the older cameras (One from the 1870s). Think your situation would be much less complicated though and as long as you cooperate with TSA and don't make a fuss, and don't try flying your drone on the aircraft (haha... just a joke), you should be OK.
Your story reminds me of a vacation to Martinique many years ago. A passenger with a lot of photo gear had obviously been through the inspection process many times and was clearly tired of folks going through his expensive equipment.

As payback, he packed a "spring snake" (like the old peanut brittle can gag) in a lens case. Let's just say that the inspector was VERY surprised when the snake jumped out of the lens case. The cheers from the crowd of us that had been standing in line a long time echoed throughout the terminal. After that, the line seemed to move more quickly.

This was 40+ years ago. I would not recommend duplicating that stunt nowadays, especially for international travel. You might get away with it but then again, you could end up detained while they contemplate payback.

Be careful out there...

No airline or air safety authority recommends them and the TSA people probably have no idea what they are.
I just flew from NY to Vegas and back with my mini 2 in a carry-on bag. I have TSA pre-check and cleared TSA at both airports without so much as a question about contents.

I did buy a LiPo bag for my drone and gopro batteries. Got one that held them all for $10 on Amazon. Could be that it is not a requirement. But I hadn't flown in almost 2 years and never with my drone. I figured the $10 expense was a reasonable "just in case" solution.

This is the most over hyped phobia in the drone community. I fly a lot more than the average person and like I say all the time just put everything in your carry on and you are good to go.

There is no need to announce you have a drone or are flying with a drone to the TSA. They scan them all day long along with a million other pieces of electronic equipment. In hundreds of flights domestic and International I have never been asked about my drone or drones, or asked to show my batteries are in lipo bags (I do keep them with me).

Many laptops have lipo batteries and they aren't subject to this craziness and paranoia.

Like I said just have everything in your carry on and you will be good to go.

Agreed. Bags aren’t a bad idea but really, we’re talking a vastly small chance of an issue (almost non-existent if not being charged or without some sort of impact). I am perfectly comfortable with my seat neighbor flying with an Inspire or Matrice battery. Or camera battery or whatever. Yes, Lithium batteries can be dangerous (in extremely rare, unusual circumstances), but there is a lot of unfounded paranoia here.

Not that I know of. If anything might cause a problem, the batteries might. I'm not sure exactly as to what the rules are I do remember that whenever I went flying, batteries would always be required to be left back. However, I think batteries inside of things are fine (laptop, phone, inside of drone batteries etc.)
I fly frequently with my Air 2 S.You can take the drone as well as batteries on your carry on baggage.Not allowed to put batteries in luggage...going into hold

I have flown countless times on American, and Qatar both domestic and international without a problem at TSA or customs
I put the batteries in a lipo case from Amazon and in the camera bag in the overhead, NOT checked baggage.

Dale
Miami

A few years ago I flew from Houston to Ft Lauderdale to visit my parents. I took one of my M1P's with me along with 3 batteries in a hard case. It was carry-on and had no problems.

Lipo bags are not needed, as has been stated. If you are concerned, just put a piece of electrical tape over the terminals of your batteries.

Reactions: RoarRoar
I am perfectly comfortable with my seat neighbor flying with an Inspire or Matrice battery.
Trivia, the Inspire and Matrice class drone can have batteries that exceed 100wh/ea capacity. Below 100wh you can carry-on as many batteries as you want in the overhead. Above 100Wh you're limited to carrying 2 in the overhead on many airlines. However, I doubt if the TSA agents know this.

I would like to take my Mavic mini2 with me to fly to Washington state is there any rules i need to know first?
I have flown with a Mini 2 several times. TSA doesn't even blink when it goes through the machine. I think it is more common than we think to fly with drones now days.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yaro