DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying out to see the liner - Bournemouth Uk (4km flight)

Gkinghrn

Reactions
Minimal editing , zero colour grading/correction just plain HDR recording ..

and nighttime flight with all the wrong video settings lol

Great video - what drone was used for this? Also how far in ft was the liner from where you were flying the drone?

Very nice. Just curious, did you know the distance off shore of the ship or did you just start flying out there and watched your battery life so that you had enough to get back home?

Well sees to me my MA2 def faulty....I could only get 1.2km out before signal lost.
Can you please let me know what atitude was the drone at and if you were at sea level with the rc
cheers
I'm assuming he was above sea level because if you look at his "homeward bound" clip it shows a shoreline with quite a high embankment. The drone appears to be quite high in the footage, also helping range.

That, coupled with absolutely nothing between him and the drone means maximum distance.

Reactions: Gkinghrn
Well sees to me my MA2 def faulty....I could only get 1.2km out before signal lost.
Can you please let me know what atitude was the drone at and if you were at sea level with the rc
cheers
I started high as noted above. Interesting that as I went lower the signal dropped For a second and I had to bring it Back up when it restored. I have a feeling the ships radar may have interfered with it but maybe not .

In terms of the distance I knew it was about 3 or so km out there. And I knew I could get that range at least over an open area as I had done it before over ground.

It is still out there today and weather is better so may head back out for just some photo ops ..

Reactions: itsneedtokno
The range you get with Occusync varies. I've been flying within a built up area and had signal break up fairly quickly.

On the other hand, I live just down the road from where this video was shot, and standing on the beach I was flying above the coastline opposite me. Looking on Google Maps, I was 2Km away as the drone flies and absolutely strong signal. I would have gone further, but I had done the filming I intended, so came home. I've no doubt I could have flown a lot further had I had enough go-juice in the battery, and the desire to do so.

Same drone, different place, different range.

But it's good photography of the Aurora :)

I started high as noted above. Interesting that as I went lower the signal dropped For a second and I had to bring it Back up when it restored. I have a feeling the ships radar may have interfered with it but maybe not .

In terms of the distance I knew it was about 3 or so km out there. And I knew I could get that range at least over an open area as I had done it before over ground.

It is still out there today and weather is better so may head back out for just some photo ops ..
So I chimed in on another thread talking about losing signal on the far side of the ship.

You basically said it right here, "losing signal with altitude drop".

This makes perfect sense because you are getting closer and closer to the only interference around... The ships very own WiFi (which is also what Ocusync uses).

Kewp her high and dry and (an American slogan for Bush's Baked Beans) "Roll that beautiful bean footage!"

Very interesting, thank you.
I love my (relatively) new Mavic Mini - but I'd also love to be able to fly that far, that distance. I know some have done it with the Mini, but I'm not able to, not in the real world. Enjoy your MA2!
Happy flying

So. How about the line of sight rule?

If he had a spotter with a pair of binoculars then he would have been in line of sight but I don't really think that authorities would object to a flight over water, but he had flown directly over the vessel but not within 50 metres and that is not a violation of current rulings CAA rulings which state :- Never fly closer than 50m to buildings, cars, trains or boats.

CLICK HERE

However, on his return prior to landing it could be argued that he possibly overflew structures and people but the 50 metre rule still applies.

I wonder if he has any insurance. Not a bad thing to have 'just in case' but if he broke the drone code rules the insurance might be null and void. That's when you HAVE to read the small print to find out.

Suppose a Mavic 2 Pro failed in mid air and hit a person and caused damage. That person would have to sue the pilot and I have heard of a case where the pilot had to sell his home and business to pay for the medical bill and more, so its best to be safe than sorry.

That's my understanding of the rules and regs in the UK. Maybe I am wrong but all the above is a moot point really since the rules and regs are being 'modified' later on in the year.

Who is right and who is wrong in ANY case would be up to the legal lads to decide at the end of the day but wise pilots don't temp fate and use common sense to avoid any possible confrontation with anyone.

Very nice footage. Nice dreamy music. Loved the circle round the ship. I sure bet that those spinning radar detectors saw your bird.

If he had a spotter with a pair of binoculars then he would have been in line of sight but I don't really think that authorities would object to a flight over water, but he had flown directly over the vessel but not within 50 metres and that is not a violation of current rulings CAA rulings which state :- Never fly closer than 50m to buildings, cars, trains or boats.

CLICK HERE

However, on his return prior to landing it could be argued that he possibly overflew structures and people but the 50 metre rule still applies.

I wonder if he has any insurance. Not a bad thing to have 'just in case' but if he broke the drone code rules the insurance might be null and void. That's when you HAVE to read the small print to find out.

Suppose a Mavic 2 Pro failed in mid air and hit a person and caused damage. That person would have to sue the pilot and I have heard of a case where the pilot had to sell his home and business to pay for the medical bill and more, so its best to be safe than sorry.

That's my understanding of the rules and regs in the UK. Maybe I am wrong but all the above is a moot point really since the rules and regs are being 'modified' later on in the year.

Who is right and who is wrong in ANY case would be up to the legal lads to decide at the end of the day but wise pilots don't temp fate and use common sense to avoid any possible confrontation with anyone.
Mmmmmmm...

Weeeellllllll here in the USA... @sar104 has clarified VLOS for the masses... and binoculars don't apply.

I am not a legal barrister nor a judge so ultimately, no matter who says what its the legal lads that sort things out irrespective of the rules at the time - in the UK anyway. Half the barristers could sell ice to the Eskimos.

Thats my FINAL comment on this subject.

Your clear to resume normal navigation Bye

Good feeedback re legality or otherwise of this flight .. Do I have insurance ? Yes ..would it cover me for this ? Yes if it was a legal flight..

So what’s illegal ? VLOS ? Hmmmm. I confess never sure how to interpret that but for sure I couldn’t see my drone after it had flown 200 yards let alone 2 km ..but I did know there were zero people in the area of flight. At least until I got over the vessel.

Overflying the vessel at night ..was way above the 50m of the smoke stack so I would say good there. But if I am told otherwise then so be it.

Am I in violation of the rules ? Tbh I’m not sure but I weighed up the risks and decided it was worth it .,others may think I should have been more prudent ..you are entirely welcome to your opinion..

Reactions: deltamike
I am not a legal barrister nor a judge so ultimately, no matter who says what its the legal lads that sort things out irrespective of the rules at the time - in the UK anyway. Half the barristers could sell ice to the Eskimos.

Thats my FINAL comment on this subject.

Your clear to resume normal navigation Bye
what's a barrister. Is that someone who works in Starbucks making coffee blends? Oh, no- that's a barista. Maybe it's an attorney, or even a lawyer.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S