DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying over private property

Ok folks I'm with you on this issue but the Google Earth argument is invalid . It's not in real time and they fly over to take pics about once every 3-5 years ,lol . I would have an issue if a full scale plane or heli was flying over my property for no apparent reason . Just be reasonable and keep moving at a decent altitude over someones property .

This site may be of interest for North Carolina sUAS operations. Also, follow the link at the site to the Requirements for Operator Permitting in North Carolina.

Unmanned aircraft systems, also called drones, have the potential to change the way society approaches agriculture, public safety, construction and many other important industries.

As a leader in drone implementation, one of the N.C. Department of Transportation's primary goals is to ensure that users in North Carolina – whether recreational, commercial or government – are flying the aircraft safely and responsibly.

Although the Federal Aviation Administration has exclusive authority over the use of airspace in the United States – including the airspace used by drones – NCDOT has the authority to implement and manage regulations pertaining to state laws concerning drone operations within the state.

How the law applies to you, depends on how you're using your drone. Click below to learn more.

1. Offer to show them your photos/video by pressing replay on the screen.
2. If you see anyone in a bathing suit or at a pool in their yard turn the drone/camera away.
3. If you see anyone digging a grave in the back yard.....run as fast as you can!

Get your FAA 107 License. You actually have some protection from local ordinances if you are flying under federal refs. The only thing local authorities can do is to stop you from taking off and landing in public places. Including streets and sidewalks. As for flying over private property as long as you are not breaking local privacy ordinances. In most cases actually putting your camera in a window your fine. Additionally if you are flying under your 107 license and some yahoo bothers you, well they just could be committing a felony by interfering with the pilot in command of an aircraft. As for living in NC sorry about that :(

• Haha
Reactions: Cheech Wizard
I've been a pro photographer for many years photographing everything fro architecture to glamour and every thing in between. Bottom line is if you photograph anything belonging to some one else with out permission ( a model release) and you get pulled into court you will loose weather your on the ground or in the air, but you can legally fly anywhere that is not restricted air space. If states restrict airspace you have to adhere to it if it is FAA approved. There are some states that are passing laws that are in violation of FAA rule and with that your on your own as to which way to go

With private security cameras placed everywhere we go these days people just feel everyday they're losing more and more privacy. When they find someone flying a drone overhead oh boy they see someone they can vent on. That's just human nature. In the mean time I've been flying my Cessna 120 over these same people for the past 45 years and photographing them and theirs with my telephoto lens, sometimes intentionally, sometimes not, but never once a complaint. I suppose it's just a matter of perception.

Reactions: WAXMAN and raymo
"Bottom line is if you photograph anything belonging to some one else with out permission ( a model release) and you get pulled into court you will loose..."

Where are you located? In the U.S. that statement is completely inaccurate. When I do a fashion shoot in public places we do not have to get model releases from everyone who happens to appear in a frame nor permission from anyone because their property appears in a frame. This even when the result is in magazines or 100 billboards.

For commercial use (magazines, billboards, etc.) the issue is if people are recognizable, if they are not then they are incidental, if they are then you need a model release or simply make them unrecognizable. Property, even if sharp and recognizable can be in any image without permission so long as it is not the focus of the image.

For personal use then anything I can see from public property or private property where I have permission is fair game. I've taken thousands of street shots of people and often very close up with their faces very recognizable and sometimes with them looking at me and smiling or frowning or whatever. I can put these on my walls, post them on a non-commercial blog or sometimes even a commercial blog. I can share them with clients who pay me for other work.

Then there is editorial which falls in the middle. I recently did some shots for an article on obesity and so I was walking around shooting people who are overweight or obese. These went up on a commercial news site. No model releases needed.

I've been a pro photographer for many years photographing everything fro architecture to glamour and every thing in between. Bottom line is if you photograph anything belonging to some one else with out permission ( a model release) and you get pulled into court you will loose weather your on the ground or in the air, but you can legally fly anywhere that is not restricted air space. If states restrict airspace you have to adhere to it if it is FAA approved. There are some states that are passing laws that are in violation of FAA rule and with that your on your own as to which way to go
Rick that's wrong if its out in public you can photograph it. There's no expectation of privacy in public. Photography in public is a 1st amendment protected activity.Freedom of speech and freedom of the press.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
I think a lot of the debate about flying over private property is context and what exactly your doing.

If your hovering your drone of someone's pool then you can see the context.

Taking off on public property and flying over private property no law outside the FAA has jurisdiction of the air above there property.

As I said it's the context in what you're doing with your drone.

Case in point
Do not fly over people not involved
Do not over fly vehicles
Adhere to hobby policy
Be kind
If escalated the call the police.

I have been flying mine at 100-400feet and people are ignorant with drones.

I have been threatened by
Shooting it down and a law suite I told them to bring it as I know I am in the right.

I remember telling one lady if she moved her house 500 feet north she would be in a now fly zone and linked her the property sale. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: WAXMAN
im sure there will be a ton of new laws and regulations as liberals get offended ,but as of now we fly buy are at risk of being shot down, even a 22 cal can easlily hit a drone, so just use common sence

im sure there will be a ton of new laws and regulations as liberals get offended ,but as of now we fly buy are at risk of being shot down, even a 22 cal can easlily hit a drone, so just use common sence
I want to meet the person who can hit a flying drone with a .22 ;)
Keep in mind I was in the infantry for 10 years, I know a bit about shooting stuff with stuff.

I truly have days where I will stop and talk to people depending on the circumstances but I am slowly getting tired of the rude people that interrupt me when I'm flying. Most of the time I will not engage and will finish what I am doing and leave. Early on I would tell them to get bent. I guess I have just been worn down a bit by the constant attention. Most of the time I look for a place to fly where I am away from people. I have to drive about 30 miles to get out of the NFZ to fly. No problem... I just am running thin on patience for the old dudes that always have some form of complaint. I'm about to put a sign up that says flight in progress do not approach operator.

Reactions: Drgnfli
This is a subject I feel pretty strong about. I live rural and fly over my own property. I live where I do for privacy and my neighbors are much the same. I don't even fly over part of my own property because it would get too close to my neighbors house. My self imposed limit is 75 meters laterally from their house which is 25 meters from the boundary.

Google photos are taken from a fairly high height, usually over 3000 AGL for aircraft pics up to low earth orbit so this argument is spurious. Street view doesn't drive down roads that aren't paved so we are safe from this. I find manned aircraft flying at or below 500 AGL to be just as offensive and report those who violate rules. If I pay for aircraft fert or weed control, I tell my neighbors before the air ops begin. Not due to laws, because it is the decent thing to do.

It has nothing to do with jealousy of your drone or aircraft, it has nothing to do with worrying about what you might see. It is about privacy. If you want to use someones property, buy your own, ask permission or use public airspace over public land.

It is about privacy. If you want to use someones property, buy your own, ask permission or use public airspace over public land.
I fly over private property all the time. Where I live out west there is just really no way for me to now who owns the property beneath my bird. Most of the land is public. Now I will say. If I see a residence that's different. I stay at least 100m away from the main house and out buildings. Otherwise I fly in accordance with the FAA and law after that they can kick rocks. The airspace is not owned by the land owner.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allezzov