DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying over private property

Never fails me though. The last time this dude rolls up from the neighborhood watch and starts with giving me a history lesson. Giving me the skinny on the offsprey?.. I listen and say I'm not anywhere near the birds.. "Where are you flying," he asks. I tell him it's in stealth mode that's why you can't see it. LOL... HAHAHAHAHA. He looks for a minute can't find it... Walks away.

I suspect that some of the confusion and differernces of opinion on this subject is due to the country you live in. Some countries have very restrictive laws and regulations on the issue of flying over private property. Bottom line is that here in the US (currently) the FAA controls all airspace including the airspace above a rural privately owned farm. Just like airplanes depending on the classification of airspace you can legally fly your drone over private property. With the exception of state and federal owned land, all property is privately owned here in the US. If you couldn't fly over private property you would have no use of drone. Here in my home state of Texas their is actually very little state or federally owned property. Flying legal does not allow you to harass livestock or disturb citizens on their property or on any property. For example you could be charged with harrassment while flying in approved airspace. In Germany or Australia or BFE it might be different. My policy is to follow the regulations, use common sense and courtesy but not trip over myself to surrender my legal rights under the current law. If I need to fly over private property for an aerial inspection job than so be it. If the landowner wants to fly a complaint or press charges of harassment because I'm flying over at 200 feet than it's his right to do so. The same landowner can complain and try to file harrassment charges against a small fixed wing aircraft or hot air balloon if he chooses. Most likely would not get any traction but he can try. Common sense and courtesy needs to be bilateral.

Reactions: drakkor and WAXMAN
And here in Germany, you cannot fly over private property with out the permission of the owners - it is clearly stated as such. So you could be out in the middle of farms some where but legally - you would be in the wrong to fly. You cannot fly over area that is designated as a protected natural reserve (which is pretty much every tree and every lake), you cannot fly within 100 meters of all waterways, roads or rail tracks (which exludes pretty much any place), or within/over populated areas. I cannot go beyond 200 meters out for fear of violating anyone of these restrictions no matter where I take off from. Laws are getting tighter folks. Flying UAVs is the new smoking, it is like you can only do it legally in your own living room.

Sorry to hear this. There’s always KAP (Kite Aerial Photography), it is still in! I’ve seen some really nice examples from Germany too.

I go by the concept that EVERYONE you meet is an ( Mod Removed )if you give them enough opportunity to show it.
But every now and then there Are some that are just predestined to not need any help from me at all.
If they look like an ( Mod Removed ) , talk like an ( Mod Removed ) and act like an ( Mod Removed ) chances are very good this is SOP and I am just another opportunity. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Bigbird48
In Australia, CASA says that we are not to fly over private property. I believe this is a recommendation, not a regulation. All bets are cancelled until they roll out new drone laws in July.
Sorry but CASA say no such thing. You must keep 30m clear of houses snd people but that is all

I fly my drone in the Oregon foothills where everyone has 5 acres or more of property.... I always fly from a spot that cannot be observed by landowners and fly at an altitude of 3 to 400 feet not so much to stay well above private properties but more so that I won't hit the tops of trees which I've done more than once... if I observe a farm house below I always try to route around the main living area's mostly so I won't get shot.... I have never heard anyone shoot at me probably because I don't stop and keep movimy at Sport speed... you can hear these mavics coming from long ways off in a quiet area - no matter what props that you use ... the trick is to be able to spot it before it flies out of your site.... i've had a couple of guys find me and more guys that couldn't find me or showed up right after I left because I get in and out quick .... if they show up I just chat with him and tell him that I fly at 3 to 400 feet and you can barely make out the outline of structures and it is virtually impossible to see a person with these funky little cameras .... and besides as a drone pilot who cares about human activity???....I like to look at the outlines of the land and the shadows of the trees playing across the hills.

I had 2 neighbors approach me while flying months ago worried about privacy. I showed them the controller and video on the ipad. Landed, went back inside to grab a new battery and my second remote and tablet so they could try for themselves. Within a week, they both bought a mavic pro and we cook out and fly on the weekends! Too easy.

Jeff

I like to let them try the VR goggles.

As stated earlier, NC is ,I believe, the only state with the law saying you can not takeoff /land from state property without permission. In theory that applies to roads and the right of way. So if you were parked just on the side of the road, in NC you were violating the law if you took off from there. Which is insane and I believe makes NC the most restrictive state for drones in the US. I don't believe it is enforced very often / ever, but it is the law.Screenshot_20190514-121541_Google PDF Viewer.jpg

As stated earlier, NC is ,I believe, the only state with the law saying you can not takeoff /land from state property without permission. In theory that applies to roads and the right of way. So if you were parked just on the side of the road, in NC you were violating the law if you took off from there. Which is insane and I believe makes NC the most restrictive state for drones in the US. I don't believe it is enforced very often / ever, but it is the law.View attachment 72361
Section “B” will, or maybe has, resulted in a morass of local regs.

Would the back of my truck classify as private property.:cool: I take off and land outside of the park boundaries.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54