DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying over private property

davshev

Reactions
I was recently in a rural area flying over fields and some houses. Someone drove up to me on the roadside and asked what I was doing. Flying a drone, said I. His response was, "Well, people don't like drones flying over their houses." I assured him what I was doing was legal and that I wasn't taking photos of anything distinguishable from 300-400 ft away.
He told me his niece had called the police a few weeks earlier when they saw me in the same spot. The police never showed up, as far as I know. I'm assuming they told this person that I wasn't breaking any well-defined laws. Eventually, this guy just drove off. From what I read online, there doesn't seem to be any well-defined law pertaining to flying over property. I've seen a lot of talk and conjecture over this issue, but nothing very specific. I can't find anything on the FAA website about it. Has anyone else had experiences like this?

I was recently in a rural area flying over fields and some houses. Someone drove up to me on the roadside and asked what I was doing. Flying a drone, said I. His response was, "Well, people don't like drones flying over their houses." I assured him what I was doing was legal and that I wasn't taking photos of anything distinguishable from 300-400 ft away.
He told me his niece had called the police a few weeks earlier when they saw me in the same spot. The police never showed up, as far as I know. I'm assuming they told this person that I wasn't breaking any well-defined laws. Eventually, this guy just drove off. From what I read online, there doesn't seem to be any well-defined law pertaining to flying over property. I've seen a lot of talk and conjecture over this issue, but nothing very specific. I can't find anything on the FAA website about it. Has anyone else had experiences like this?

What state

You are in the right in this situation. As long as you don’t takke off from private property and fly near people you are in the green to fly over someone’s house

NC does not just bar using drones to fly over property and conduct "surveillance." It also bars taking off and landing anywhere without consent of property owner (with some exceptions not likely to cover recreational flights). So, best be very careful.

15A-300.2. Regulation of launch and recovery sites.
(a) No unmanned aircraft system may be launched or recovered from any State or private property without consent.

(b) A unit of local government may adopt an ordinance to regulate the use of the local government’s property for the launch or recovery of unmanned aircraft systems.

Reactions: Earthman and NAVMAV
So, best be very careful.

This. I think you just have to be very careful now and understand there are always going to be unreasonable people around.

While researching drone laws around here, I found this article from a few years back: Drone dispute reaches courtroom

I try to stay above my property, but if I go outside of that area go up to at least 200' and don't hang around in one place. I try to avoid going above people's houses entirely.

Last edited:
One important consideration here concerns what the OP was doing?

Whatever the Action, and/or Intent, the Reaction was somebody angry enough to confront, and complain.

Assuming the Complainer was The Property Owner, then in our opinion best move would be apologize, get out of the Guy's Face, and quietly depart.

Another possibility - IF the conversation wasn't too heated - would be to ask if it would be okay if the Owner was called in advance to request permission?

That avoids another PO with negative feelings toward us, and our Hobby.

Not too big a Deal in our opinion, and potentially a way to preserve the site for future flights by that OP.

Rgds, NAVMAV

Last edited:
Perhaps a more important consideration here concerns what the OP was doing?

Whatever the action, and/or intent, the Reaction was somebody became irritated enough to confront the OP, and complain.

Assuming the Complainer was The Property Owner, in our opinion the best thing to do would be to offer a sincere apology, get the Hector out of the Guy's Face, and quietly depart.

This avoids one more Property Owner developing negative feelings toward us and our Hobby.

Pretty important stuff, in our opinion.

Rgds, NAVMAV
Beyond passing over his property at about 300 ft, I wasn't doing anything. I think he was concerned that I was taking photos, which I assured him I wasn't. Anyway, I've no intention of going back to that area

Assuming the Complainer was The Property Owner, then in our opinion best move would be apologize, get out of the Guy's Face, and quietly depart.
Who is the “our” you keep referring to? Are you a law firm, or are you using sort of a royal plural?

And not to state the obvious but the OP wasn’t in the ”guy’s face” or anyone else’s.

Wear this next time?

Don’t let people bully you and trample your own rights — operate within the confines of the law and remain pleasant, but forceful.

My God, they must freak out every time a General Aviation aircraft or airliner flies over their property.

Imagine how their must feel about the satellites and Google maps images?!

Attachments

• 0BDE9225-D9EA-4E5E-ADAA-170D2F4C9264.jpeg
    0BDE9225-D9EA-4E5E-ADAA-170D2F4C9264.jpeg
    360.5 KB · Views: 317
Wear this next time?

Don’t let people bully you and trample your own rights — operate within the confines of the law and remain pleasant, but forceful.

My God, they must freak out every time a General Aviation aircraft or airliner flies over their property.

Imagine how their must feel about the satellites and Google maps images?!

LOL! That brings up another issue. I could be out flying and some passerby will come up and start bending my ear. They have no clue that I'm trying to concentrate on safely flying this contraption 300 ft in the air. In fact, the guy that stopped to complain about flying over his house obviously didn't think of that. I eventually told him, "look, I can't keep talking about this, I have to concentrate on what I'm doing." Then he was on his merry way.

I always offer to take some shots of their house for free!! Also I assume they have also complained to Google earth. If not, why not. I’ll complain as there were some bulk bags of gravel on my drive when they invaded my private airspace last. Lowered the value of my house!!

Reactions: geckotrap
I'm not sure how anyone can avoid flying over private land and in some cases near or over homes. I live in a rural area and frequently fly over the hundreds of farm acreage and not experienced any issues. I fly between 300-400 ft much of the time, although lately, lower for a different perspective. If I see people, I change course to avoid them. There is no way to know if a nutcase or two is out there with a weapon, or if they believe I am taking photos of them. I think the only thing we can do is operate with respect for privacy as much as possible. If someone expresses concern, I would most likely respond as you did to start.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan