DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gringorio

Premium Pilot
Reactions
In this video I'm chasing a German research vessel as it steams away from us, over 7km out from the home point. They were also conducting ocean plastics research. Location: North Pacific Gyre, otherwise known as the Great Pacific Garbage Patch.

Nice footage, and nice weather !!

So 7km out and 7km back ??
Home point didn't look that far at the 0:10 second mark, but distance out there could be deceiving too.

What drone are you flying for that ?

And how far is that from landfall ?
It is certainly isolated wherever it is.

Great home point, awesome looking sailing vessel.

Reactions: Gringorio
Nice footage, and nice weather !!

So 7km out and 7km back ??
Home point didn't look that far at the 0:10 second mark, but distance out there could be deceiving too.

What drone are you flying for that ?

And how far is that from landfall ?
It is certainly isolated wherever it is.

Great home point, awesome looking sailing vessel.

Sorry, trying to reply via my phone... Out there, there is no signal interference so excellent for long distance flying. Yes, distances are decieving. It was morning and the winds were calm, so that helped. At that location we were over 1000 miles NE of Honolulu in the Pacific Gyre. Mavic 2 Pro.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Nice footage! And very appropriate music too. I suppose that if you were IN the garbage patch, and the drone decided to land, it would just land on the garbage waiting to be retrieved!

@Fat Bastard - nice video - amazed how calm the ocean was.
Like your user name - and also the wine by the same name ?

? I don’t know how you got the job as drone pilot for Sea Shepherd, Ocean Voyages, but I love it. See you on the next TV show.

Nice footage! And very appropriate music too. I suppose that if you were IN the garbage patch, and the drone decided to land, it would just land on the garbage waiting to be retrieved!

If only the garbage was that close together...

? I don’t know how you got the job as drone pilot for Sea Shepherd, Ocean Voyages, but I love it. See you on the next TV show.

I started with Sea Shepherd a few years ago, as a volunteer and am still a volunteer. Ocean Voyages found me through Sea Shepherd. Both gigs are volunteer, based on experience. They are always looking for drone operators who can fly from ships and who support their conservation goals.

Reactions: CraigObe