DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying South West Sydney

Pacesetter

Reactions
Hi all

Just want to ask about flying a drone at East Hills in Sydney's South West along the Georges River there.

I live interstate and want to visit there soon - otherwise I would just go there and test.

Two different apps show two different results. Opensky shows a red NFZ while DJI's Geo-Map shows virtually no restrictions - unless it's not working properly for me. I'm on PC Windows 10 if it matters.

Yes there is a small airport nearby at Bankstown but DJI's map seems to show restrictions only along the flight paths of planes there which do not at all reach the area I would like to fly.

ETA if you type Henry Lawson Drive East Hills into the app that takes you to the area.

Can anyone advise?

Many Thanks
Pace

5.5km from airport. Bankstown is a very busy airport.
Looks like you are only 2km away so definately a no fly zone

Last edited:
Thanks for that.

What's your take on 'Alford's Point' ?

Specifically the bridge there across Georges River.

Looks squeaky clean of all NFZ.

Looks good :)

I grew up in the area and it's always been a tiny airport but that could of changed in the last 10 years.

I grew up in the area and it's always been a tiny airport but that could of changed in the last 10 years.
It’s a busy training airport. Still cessnas but lots of them.
Similar to Archerfield of morrabin

Reactions: Phill
Do all airports regardless of size and activity have strictly NFZ within 5.5kms?

No. Controlled aerodromes are strictly no-go without approval (just one reason to get your RePL and ReOC), but if you're near non-controlled aerodromes or helicopter landing sites then you can fly within that 5.5km radius if they're not carrying traffic. As soon as you're aware that they're active, you have to land immediately and get out of their way, which is fair enough.

When I lived in Sydney Bankstown only had a few Cessnas in and out.
Is it a major airport now?
Bankstown has 3 runways and lots and lots of training and general commercial aviation (Aus Post etc). I think it's technically the busiest airport in the southern hemisphere. Strange but true.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aidiophilifix