DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying with a phone w/o service plan & caching maps

Brianwithaneye

Reactions
Good evening all-
Experienced pilot but sold my Yuneec a few years ago. Now a mini 2 owner and I want to get a 2nd device (another phone) to use as my viewfinder, mainly as my iPhone SE gen 1 is not compatible with the flight controller.
I’m thinking an iPhone 8 or X.
Looks like from what I have gathered on reading here, I can use a phone with no service plan & download Dji fly via WiFi when I’m home.
Then I understand the maps won’t work when I fly. But if I was in a cornfield in Nebraska and there was zero cell service would maps not work there, even if I had a service plan.

It’s been a frustrating go of it, figuring out that my SE isn’t compatible.
so- for me maps isn’t a complete deal breaker as I flew for almost 3 years without one but it’s also a feature that could be handy. I just don’t want to pay $30 a month for a plan so I can have the privilege of flying with a map on occasion & I don’t understand the cache your map thing..

Thanks and I look forward to learning a lot here.
Cheers from Kansas City

Don't forget that you should be able to tether your display phone to the one in your pocket so that everything is connected. I fly with wifi only tablets all the time without any connection whatsoever but just Hotspot them off my phone when I'm concerned about being up to date and accurate.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54