DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

flying with a tablet instead of a phone

palo34

Reactions
I have bought a 10 inch tablet. I tried flying with it, but it seems to defeat the purpose of having a mavic mini... feels clumsy but do you think it improves the flying eonough to justify the setup time, and the weight?

I have bought a 10 inch tablet. I tried flying with it, but it seems to defeat the purpose of having a mavic mini... feels clumsy but do you think it improves the flying eonough to justify the setup time, and the weight?

Does your tablet fit in the jaws of the controller, 8in models have a better form factor making it easier to handle ?

Mavic Mini DJI Fly screen - Copy.jpg

All I have ever flew with was a tablet and couldn’t even think
of using a phone. Not enough real estate there for me.
Really depends on what you prefer. The weight is worth it to me.

Reactions: Len750 and Thomas B
Interesting I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8 inch, but when I went to install the DJI Fly app I get a message that the tablet isn't supported and the installer closes out.
How are you getting the software to install? Is it just that the android tablets aren't supported.

Also for anyone using a tablet is anyone using a tablet stand holder?

I do use a tablet (lenovo, 10 inch) after I used my phone (LG4) to begin with. The 10 inch has the advantage that it is easier to see and with my big fingers, I can easier push the screenbuttons in Lichi. I do have Go4 on it too (in case there would be soimething I can not do in Litchi), installing the software was not a problem at all.

Reactions: Thomas B
Interesting I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8 inch, but when I went to install the DJI Fly app I get a message that the tablet isn't supported and the installer closes out.
How are you getting the software to install? Is it just that the android tablets aren't supported.

I'm using a stand holder with my Android Samsung Tab E (not the greatest choice, but it's what I had).
I am using the DJI Go 4, not the DJI Fly app. So many problems I see with the MM.

I have an older iPad Pro still pretty late model. Kitted up with extended brackets. I like using it at home as the real estate is Obviously significantly bigger. Away from home I probably stick with my iPhone 11. It’s easier to shield in bright sunlight. I think it’s really personal preference. The beauty of mini is portability. Stay minimal when traveling is my preference. Less junk to lug around and fiddle with. I can set up and fly in a couple of minutes with my phone which is great shooting my mates on golf course and not slowing down the pace of play. No way I bring a tablet for that.

I use an iPad mini and really prefer it over my Apple 7 cell phone. The mini (iPad) is useful for other things as well. It also brightens up well.

I use a 5th generation 7x9 iPad and took Fly app from app store and still use inspire holder i used with my MP and M2P . Now I fly mostly from truck and just use a longer cable and set tablet in steering wheel.
IMG_8070.JPG when I'm out and in truckIMG_8006.jpeg

sorry no picture of mini in truck just how I do it though with it

I use a 5th generation 7x9 iPad and took Fly app from app store and still use inspire holder i used with my MP and M2P . Now I fly mostly from truck and just use a longer cable and set tablet in steering wheel.
View attachment 93945 when I'm out and in truckView attachment 93946

sorry no picture of mini in truck just how I do it though with it
Flying from inside the truck does not affect the range?

Flying from inside the truck does not affect the range?
It didn’t that run where I was at but you can see I didn’t push it. You can see the bars where good that far and don’t recommend any further but if I had seen the bars getting lower I would have just raised the controller up to above the
steering wheel if ya get me. With the newest update I’d throws an alert up if you go between 3900’ and 4000’. Posted one I did showing that.
Now I havn’t done one with the Mini yet but will.

Edit..Sorry that made no sense. Though I was in another thread where I posted this. . Over doing it

Last edited:
feels clumsy but do you think it improves the flying eonough to justify the setup time, and the weight?
Grab your self a lawn chair and have a seat, then the weight wont be and issue that's what I do. Besides while sitting down your neck shouldnt hurt because you should be using VLOS and not looking down at the screen! LOL! I know we are all guilty of flying BVLOS but me personally use extreme caution and only do it over land or water with no one around and the only thing that could be hurt is my Bird.

I am pretty sure this is the Mavic Mini sub forum. No GO (4 or otherwise), no Litchi, (yet):(
I do use a tablet (lenovo, 10 inch) after I used my phone (LG4) to begin with. The 10 inch has the advantage that it is easier to see and with my big fingers, I can easier push the screenbuttons in Lichi. I do have Go4 on it too (in case there would be soimething I can not do in Litchi), installing the software was not a problem at all.

Go to the Mavic Mini section of DJI and download the apk then install directly, (sideload). You should probably always incude: Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8 SM-T290

I made the frame from flat Aluminum and pop rivets purchased at a hardware store. I also velcro a power bar on the back and attach to the tablet via an OTG. Balance is good.

When MC is not powered on both MC and tablet are being charged by 2.1 A power bank. When MC is powered on only tablet is charging and communicating with MC. Sometimes it is necessary to disconnect the power to make the MC/tablet connection; then reattach the power.

Attachments

• MC OTG.jpg
    MC OTG.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Mini Frame.jpg
    Mini Frame.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Mini Frame Complete.jpg
    Mini Frame Complete.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Downloaded the apk file from dji, but it should be the same binary than the google store.

I only used an iPad mini when I had the Phantom 4, but since the Mavic range I'm dropped to a standard phone screen. I can still get the same results despite the smaller screen plus I don't miss the size/weight of the entire P4 tech.

Are you using Litchi with a Mavic Mini? How is that working out for you?

I used to use an iPad Pro but stopped mainly due to

1) Set up time was doubled and it felt clumsy
2) the iPad did not have cell service and maps would not load

I used to use an iPad Pro but stopped mainly due to

1) Set up time was doubled and it felt clumsy
2) the iPad did not have cell service and maps would not load
So if your Ipad Pro had cell service, would that be a good option?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM