DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying with iPad mini

Flyhigh1

Reactions
I’m looking to fly with a iPad mini 4 and I’m curious if taking it in and out of the remote will cause the remote arm to become loose over time? Seems like it’s a pretty tight fit. Lastly how is the iPad mini 4 with the MP? As far as brightness of screen, video lag, etc?

I’m looking to fly with a iPad mini 4 and I’m curious if taking it in and out of the remote will cause the remote arm to become loose over time? Seems like it’s a pretty tight fit. Lastly how is the iPad mini 4 with the MP? As far as brightness of screen, video lag, etc?

I have not heard of the iPad Mini causing the RC arms to become loose but if I were you I would seriously consider getting an iPad Mini 5 if you don't already own the Mini 4. There have been many reports of the Mimi 4 (which is old technology) struggling with the later versions of DJI Go 4.

In any case there is a ton of content posted on this forum related to the iPad Mini.

It is a pretty tight fit, but that makes it fit securely, not too sure about the arms wearing out as I havent used it for years on end. iPad Mini 4 fits and works well enough, I think some people who complained about performance problems had their iPad running tons of apps while attempting to fly. iPad mini 5 is faster, but cost more. You can get a mini 4 on amazon for $200 or so with cell/gps

I have not had a problem ever with using my iPad mini4 in my Mavic Pro (M1P) controller arms.
Likewise never had a performance issue either.

I have a Thor Drone World Lifthor mount for it, but unless flying for a few batteries I just use the mini4 in the controller arms.
It is a little squeeze but nothing too bad.
The only drawback is it’s difficult to switch sports mode button easily as the arm is right on the edge of that.
I don’t use sports mode much so not a big deal, but if wanting to cancel a flight mode (or obstacle avoidance etc)fast if something bad is happening that option is limited using sport mode.
(There is always pause button though, so not too bad.)

I can advise the mini4 is tighter in my Spark controller arms, but still do-able with care.
So your might find other controllers are subtly different in design, and worth double checking by taking your controller with you to the store to try it.
Most will have a demo model or shell you can try in the arms.

Reactions: aneal321
Same here, no problems fitting or running Mini 4. The remote arms seem strong and tough for their size and folding ability. Never had a problem even with heavy use.

I use the Mini 4 with no problems (knock wood),but use it with a Mavmount and rarely disconnect the controller from the Mavmount. The IPad is easily removed from the Mavmount if you need to.

Never had any problem with mine either. I use mine horizontally in the arms and keep my gel case and folding cover on when mounted. Video lag... No problem, Screen brightness...wish it was brighter. Wish I could still find mat (frosted) screen film for it. Now all you can find is Tempered glass (clear)

Attachments

• P_20190908_160047.jpg
    P_20190908_160047.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3927.JPG
    IMG_3927.JPG
    346.9 KB · Views: 76
Been using a mini 4 for a while on a P3A and MP. No issues. The right arm does hinder the sport switch a little, but not a big deal.

I’m using an after market iPad holder featured on You Tube channel Ready Set Drone. It holds the iPad mini as well as the remote controller and works well. The iPad is 3 or 4 years old and so far hasn’t had any issues keeping up with the DJI app.

Last year, I was using a Mini 4 iPad. I had to use a full hood because of the low brightness of the screen. Since I have an iPad Mini 5, the brightness of the screen is good enough. I don't use the sun hood anymore except when I'm using my MA skiing on lakes with full sunshine. The albedo is so strong that a screen hood is mandatory. As far as the arms of the RC are concerned...no concern at all.

I’ve been using the iPad Mini 4 on my MPP for 85 for 85 flights and there is no problem with fit. However sun glare is a problem. I usually solve this by taking off from a shady spot.

Never had any problem with mine either. I use mine horizontally in the arms and keep my gel case and folding cover on when mounted. Video lag... No problem, Screen brightness...wish it was brighter. Wish I could still find mat (frosted) screen film for it. Now all you can find is Tempered glass (clear)

Reactions: tesohn
I have not had a problem ever with using my iPad mini4 in my Mavic Pro (M1P) controller arms.
Likewise never had a performance issue either.

I have a Thor Drone World Lifthor mount for it, but unless flying for a few batteries I just use the mini4 in the controller arms.
It is a little squeeze but nothing too bad.
The only drawback is it’s difficult to switch sports mode button easily as the arm is right on the edge of that.
I don’t use sports mode much so not a big deal, but if wanting to cancel a flight mode (or obstacle avoidance etc)fast if something bad is happening that option is limited using sport mode.
(There is always pause button though, so not too bad.)

I can advise the mini4 is tighter in my Spark controller arms, but still do-able with care.
So your might find other controllers are subtly different in design, and worth double checking by taking your controller with you to the store to try it.
Most will have a demo model or shell you can try in the arms.
My Mini 4 seems to be an extremely tight fit and seems to wobble a bit. Any tips for inserting it and holding it. Also, what cable do you use to connect from RC to Ipad? thanks,

My Mini 4 seems to be an extremely tight fit and seems to wobble a bit. Any tips for inserting it and holding it. Also, what cable do you use to connect from RC to Ipad? thanks,

What drone are you flying ?

As mentioned, I definitely see a difference in how the arms of my M1P fit easier into that controller arms, over my Spark controller.
There may be some difference between the M2P/Z and / or Air controller arms too ?
(Or even between new and older controllers for all models.)

To fit mine, I put the end with on / off button in first (so I don't kill display), then gently spread the other corner into the other arm, and wriggle it in place up to the controller base.

I use these . . .https://www.thorsdroneworld.com/connecthors-cables

For my M1P Drone ConnecThor Cable for iPad
For the Spark ConnecThor OTG Micro USB - Lightning | thors-drone-world

These cables are very good quality, and the spiral cable goes where it needs to and doesn't hang down in the way.

I use the Lifthor mount from same supplier (Thors Drone World).
The gear is a little pricey, but very good design and quality, a good investment really.

Here's some pics using both mount and cable.
I like seeing both controller screen as well as the ipad screen.

TDW_Lifthor_1.jpg TDW_Lifthor_2.jpg

By the way, when using an ipad mini 4, a GREAT way to store and transport that is in the official DJI aircraft sleeve !!
It's flock lined and protects the ipad screen really well.

Mavic_sleeve_1.jpg Mavic_sleeve_2.jpg

I always fly with my iPad Mini and take it off between flights. No problems. I am very careful during installation and removal just to make sure I have no problems. I also use a 90-deg. connection to the iPad Mini and a reinforced cable. Good flying.

What drone are you flying ?

As mentioned, I definitely see a difference in how the arms of my M1P fit easier into that controller arms, over my Spark controller.
There may be some difference between the M2P/Z and / or Air controller arms too ?
(Or even between new and older controllers for all models.)

To fit mine, I put the end with on / off button in first (so I don't kill display), then gently spread the other corner into the other arm, and wriggle it in place up to the controller base.

I use these . . .https://www.thorsdroneworld.com/connecthors-cables

For my M1P Drone ConnecThor Cable for iPad
For the Spark ConnecThor OTG Micro USB - Lightning | thors-drone-world

These cables are very good quality, and the spiral cable goes where it needs to and doesn't hang down in the way.

I use the Lifthor mount from same supplier (Thors Drone World).
The gear is a little pricey, but very good design and quality, a good investment really.

Here's some pics using both mount and cable.
I like seeing both controller screen as well as the ipad screen.

View attachment 84217 View attachment 84218

By the way, when using an ipad mini 4, a GREAT way to store and transport that is in the official DJI aircraft sleeve !!
It's flock lined and protects the ipad screen really well.

View attachment 84219 View attachment 84220
I fly M2P, I figured out how to get it to fit in pretty well, it's a tight fit but works. That is a great cable. Thanks for the tip on the carrying sleeve.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Reactions: aneal321
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000