DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Focusing issues during night flying.

Does your night video feed look focused?

• Yes

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • No

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • I don't fly at night.

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

Edslittleworld

Reactions
I used to like night flying with my old Phantoms, so I thought I'd try it with the Mavic. Everything seems to start out OK, but after a few minutes...the HD image turns blurry and stays that way for the duration of the flight. I usually use the DJI goggles, so I don't know if that makes any difference. What can I do? (BTW...my new DJI Spark is crystal clear at night.)

Reactions: Yannie
Just keep pressing the screen at the most lit-up thing you can find.

Use manual focusing and turn on focus peaking to help. The mavic, like most cameras, has issues focusing in the dark.

Was going to say the same. Any camera will have issues below a certain light threshold. Manual focus to the rescue.

Was going to say the same. Any camera will have issues below a certain light threshold. Manual focus to the rescue.

I wonder why my old Phantoms and my new Spark appeared to have NO issues with night video feed focusing. Is this an issue with the Mavic or could I have a defective unit?

The odds of a defect are pretty slim. It's likely the camera itself, or more likely the sensor, is just different than the others. Maybe the Phantom's had better sensors because they were considered a bit more upscale? Maybe the Spark's is better because it's newer, or DJI learned better techniques after the Mavic was launched?

I have no idea. I guess I'm just saying I didn't get good results either, but as a camera hobbyist for 20+ years I'm simply not surprised. Which doesn't help much if you do actually have a defect or other issue!

I wonder why my old Phantoms and my new Spark appeared to have NO issues with night video feed focusing. Is this an issue with the Mavic or could I have a defective unit?

Your unit is fine. I have a P4P, Mavic & Spark. The Phantom is the best at night shots, and the Spark is better than the Mavic at night shots.

I think those drones have set focus, whereas the Mavic camera can be focused.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan