DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Foggy Conditions

peterc4

Reactions
Hi all, had a 2 pro from pre order but never really shot in foggy/misty conditions so took a couple of pics out walking today all was ok in the mist but a cloud of mist came through when taking a pic at 2 different times of the day and both times it went into land mode, just wondered if anybody else had experienced this. Thanks

Sounds like the sensors were confused by the fog and that the drone reacted to a false altitude.

Hmmm, when it gets too dark for my sensors, the controller just says they've been turned off and to fly carefully. But I guess I'm talking about obstacle avoidance sensors and not the bottom VPS.

I try not to fly in mist / cloud anyways as akin to flying in rain. Your craft was wet to the touch after landing, am I right?

Hmmm, when it gets too dark for my sensors, the controller just says they've been turned off and to fly carefully. But I guess I'm talking about obstacle avoidance sensors and not the bottom VPS.

I try not to fly in mist / cloud anyways as akin to flying in rain. Your craft was wet to the touch after landing, am I right?
No mate wouldnt dream of flying in damp or wet to my suprise the mist was dry and craft was dry on landing

flying in a spot that is clear but that you can see mist or foggy conditions in a low lying area can produce some very interesting shots
the trick to remember is, dont fly into the mist or fog ,apart from the obvious loss of visual on the drone ,you run the risk of water vapour being sucked into the drone by the cooling fan, and getting into the battery causing a short water + electrics not good bedfellows,one other consideration to think about is ice forming on the props it does not need it to be freezing for this to happen ,and can cause catastrophic loss of lift and control of the drone if severe

You can avoid the craft going into landing by NOT pulling the throttle stick all the way down but slightly above that point. when you do descending

Last edited:
flying in a spot that is clear but that you can see mist or foggy conditions in a low lying area can produce some very interesting shots
the trick to remember is, dont fly into the mist or fog ,apart from the obvious loss of visual on the drone ,you run the risk of water vapour being sucked into the drone by the cooling fan, and getting into the battery causing a short water + electrics not good bedfellows,one other consideration to think about is ice forming on the props it does not need it to be freezing for this to happen ,and can cause catastrophic loss of lift and control of the drone if severe

This idea you have about the Water Vapor being sucked in my cooling fan is not possible.
It just does not have enough power to do anything like that.

Fog / wet snow / Rain can all effect the battery of the drone causing all kinds of problems to the drone because of
these intelligent batteries housing so many elements of the drone ability to fly.

Several of these threads are popping up like this most likely do to the Battery some being the sensors .

This is why we recommend the Mavic Wet Suits as you wont have to deal with these issues and save your batteries.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Snow.

Last edited:
Something to be aware of this time of year in particular is potential icing in fog/cloud. This can rapidly mess up the efficiency of the props and motors so the *type* of fog is useful to know.
Even in above freezing conditions ive seen some ice forming quite rapidly on the leading edge of the props from this.

Other issues, water is going to form on the outside of the camera so you wont see much (or worse inside). I really cant see it being heavy enough to cause internal issues *if its just fog*. If its cloud/precipitation related fog though then yes.

I'd certainly say to avoid any 3rd party addons to "waterproof" as they (i) wont (ii) will be illegal in most countries and (iii) may well make the issue worse with overheating, ventilation issues and so on.

Plus as you say, flying *through* fog is also going to be illegal under most countries VLOS rules.

To be honest the only thing i tend to worry about flying around fog, other than the camera misting up is icing.

Something to be aware of this time of year in particular is potential icing in fog/cloud. This can rapidly mess up the efficiency of the props and motors so the *type* of fog is useful to know.
Even in above freezing conditions ive seen some ice forming quite rapidly on the leading edge of the props from this.

Other issues, water is going to form on the outside of the camera so you wont see much (or worse inside). I really cant see it being heavy enough to cause internal issues *if its just fog*. If its cloud/precipitation related fog though then yes.

I'd certainly say to avoid any 3rd party addons to "waterproof" as they (i) wont (ii) will be illegal in most countries and (iii) may well make the issue worse with overheating, ventilation issues and so on.

Plus as you say, flying *through* fog is also going to be illegal under most countries VLOS rules.

To be honest the only thing i tend to worry about flying around fog, other than the camera misting up is icing.

We have posted quite a few videos where the props are iced up and still cant get it to crash. We will keep trying harder to find those limits.

This is an interesting video as we purposely allow the camera to be covered by the snow to see if we could recover the lens and fly it back iced up.

We now use the Rescue Jackets to increase Visibility in the Snow !

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929