DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

For us amateurs only

PAW

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I know you pros will shake your heads in disbelief, but for those of us learning the art of drone photography, I thought I'd point out something that may help others in the amateur class.

Having difficulty chewing gum and walking at the same time, I often get caught up in the mechanics of flying and forget to switch from video to stills while doing landscape shots. As a result, I often get into the video editor and see I passed up some nice photos I wish I'd taken. So I experimented with frame capture within the video editor and was pleased with the results. Better a semi-good photo than no photo at all. Below is an example showing:

1) the capture of the final frame from the video, just prior to my switching to photo (captured as a jpg from the 1920x1080 mp4)
2) then the still photo snapped with the M2Ps great camera (5472 x 3078 jpg)
3) and finally, the third photo is a processed photo originating from the captured frame in #1 (processed as a jpg)

New Movie (2).Movie_Snapshot.jpg
Movie_Snapshot.jpg

DJI_0235.JPG
DJI_0235.JPG

New Movie (2).Movie_Snapshot-1-1-1-1-1-Edit.jpeg
Movie_Snapshot-1-Edit.jpeg

While my preferred option would be snapping the photo in RAW and processing it, a good back up is remembering you can make a decent photo from a video capture. Sorry about the sizes of these images, but I wanted to display them without any adjustment (other than the third photo).

So how can I do a frame grab from a video, since I do the same stupid thing-e.g.: forget to take stills when I am getting so wrapped up taking my video, I forgot to snap a RAW image.

So how can I do a frame grab from a video, since I do the same stupid thing-e.g.: forget to take stills when I am getting so wrapped up taking my video, I forgot to snap a RAW image.
Depends on which video editor you are using, but they work the same way. Import the video, move the play head to the desired frame, hit the capture button, then find the capture on your hard drive.

How to Capture a Still Image (freeze frame) from a Video in Premiere
Davinci Resolve export still image
How to take a snapshot from video in Pinnacle Studio

Depends on which video editor you are using, but they work the same way. Import the video, move the play head to the desired frame, hit the capture button, then find the capture on your hard drive.

How to Capture a Still Image (freeze frame) from a Video in Premiere
Davinci Resolve export still image
How to take a snapshot from video in Pinnacle Studio
I just found the answer to my question
is a You Tube video that explains how to capture a screen grab in various formats (e.g.: jpeg) and save them to your desk top or wherever you want.

Reactions: PAW
I can't say for certain this has happened but I think I have accidentally hit the shutter button on the remote while videoing and the controller switched to camera and took a picture. You just have to remember to switch back to video if need be.

On FCP and iMovie, you can export single frames. If you have a film and play it in MPegStreamer, you also can export single frames.

I can't say for certain this has happened but I think I have accidentally hit the shutter button on the remote while videoing and the controller switched to camera and took a picture. You just have to remember to switch back to video if need be.
Yup but for us elderly, it's the remembering that's the problem...
NBV00716.jpg

I have just played the video on my lap top, clicked pause and then done a screen shot grab and it works great. However it depends on what you intend to do with it later, but for most use it will suffice.

I know you pros will shake your heads in disbelief, but for those of us learning the art of drone photography, I thought I'd point out something that may help others in the amateur class.

Having difficulty chewing gum and walking at the same time, I often get caught up in the mechanics of flying and forget to switch from video to stills while doing landscape shots. As a result, I often get into the video editor and see I passed up some nice photos I wish I'd taken. So I experimented with frame capture within the video editor and was pleased with the results. Better a semi-good photo than no photo at all. Below is an example showing:

1) the capture of the final frame from the video, just prior to my switching to photo (captured as a jpg from the 1920x1080 mp4)
2) then the still photo snapped with the M2Ps great camera (5472 x 3078 jpg)
3) and finally, the third photo is a processed photo originating from the captured frame in #1 (processed as a jpg)

View attachment 78817
Movie_Snapshot.jpg

View attachment 78825
DJI_0235.JPG

View attachment 78826
Movie_Snapshot-1-Edit.jpeg

While my preferred option would be snapping the photo in RAW and processing it, a good back up is remembering you can make a decent photo from a video capture. Sorry about the sizes of these images, but I wanted to display them without any adjustment (other than the third photo).
Indeed! One more reason not to use ND filters for a cinematic blur! The resulting blur will ruin your otherwise sharp still extracts from the video!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Duhr