DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Found a Mavic Pro Crashed in the Snow Near Shaver Lake CA, How do I find the owner?

The drone should have an FAA registration number on it. You could try google search as many owners have theirs listed with services.

Also many owners put their contact info in the battery compartment... to see, press buttons on the battery sides while holding the drone and the pull the battery straight up and out.

Hope you can reunite it with the owner!

Just like to say, good on ya bud! Nice to still see some honest people around, hope you get it back to its rightful owner and said owner compensates you in some way, even if just a beer! Thumbswayup

Edit: Also, as much as I'd hate to say it, but try posting locally on Facebook or locally to where you found it, ask for proof off whoever comes forward, maybe they can tell you what's on the memory card etc. good luck!

Last edited:
This may be a good reason to why we should post the FAA registration number online, Googleing it will flag it back to the post and may help someone find the owner.

Just like to say, good on ya bud! Nice to still see some honest people around, hope you get it back to its rightful owner and said owner compensates you in some way, even if just a beer! Thumbswayup

Edit: Also, as much as I'd hate to say it, but try posting locally on Facebook or locally to where you found it, ask for proof off whoever comes forward, maybe they can tell you what's on the memory card etc. good luck!
Agreed. That's kind of you.

Make sure whoever shows up brings an extra battery and their control and it “should” pair as proof as long as it still works.
Since the op may not know anything about pairing or the link process, let’s tell him.
Step one is to turn on the aircraft. Push the battery button once, let it go, then push a second time. Lights at the rear start flashing different colors. With no controller in the area or controller turned off, yellow flashing lights are visible.
Step two would be to turn on a controller while the yellow lights are flashing. If it’s the right controller, yellow lights stop flashing and lights go to green.
That’s when you have a matched pair.
(assuming we have a charged battery to begin with)

Reactions: Mile2102
Since the op may not know anything about pairing or the link process, let’s tell him.
Step one is to turn on the aircraft. Push the battery button once, let it go, then push a second time. Lights at the rear start flashing different colors. With no controller in the area or controller turned off, yellow flashing lights are visible.
Step two would be to turn on a controller while the yellow lights are flashing. If it’s the right controller, yellow lights stop flashing and lights go to green.
That’s when you have a matched pair.
(assuming we have a charged battery to begin with)
If someone shows up claiming the drone is theirs, it should already be paired to the remote. No need to go through all of that.

Personally, I'd turn it over to the police. Let them handle it.

Found 17 March 2019. Is there a way I can locate the owner?

@JSKCKNIT is spot on. Your best bet is to contact your local Law Enforcement Agency (sheriff of city police) and let them know you found it, where, and when. If it has the FAA# (and they all should by now) they can contact their FSDO (FAA office) and within minutes they can have the rightful owner's name and contact information. They will need the sUAS/Drone to actually be in their possession to do this.

If you need any assistance PM me and I can give you a direct # to the FAA's LEO Support Hotline and they can help. It takes only a couple of minutes once you have the FAA# and get the right person on the line.

CAVEAT: They will only release this information to a Law Enforcement Officer so no need to try and go direct.

Well Done for finding and trying to REUNITE it with the rightful owner!! Well done :)

A lot of pilots will have a file with all their contact info on the SD card which is in the side of the drone under the rubber tab .
I suggest taking the SD card out and checking it for any files that say “If Found”
Or “ Owner info”

Reactions: BigAl07
A lot of pilots will have a file with all their contact info on the SD card which is in the side of the drone under the rubber tab .
I suggest taking the SD card out and checking it for any files that say “If Found”
Or “ Owner info”

Here's the file name on mine (and have done this for years now):

IF_Found_REWARD.txt

Reactions: dcrist66
Yeah, uh, would be nice I guess but they don't

Had the same experience when a friend found a Spark, there's no mechanism for DJI to put the owner in touch.

Nice idea about the contact text which is very simple and I'm sure effective as well, will do that to mine.

If someone shows up claiming the drone is theirs, it should already be paired to the remote. No need to go through all of that.

Personally, I'd turn it over to the police. Let them handle it.
Ok. Never mind.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J