DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Found Drone w/ FAA Id# How do I find the owner?

I may be one of the biggest suckers out there cuz I use this system. https://reclaimdrone.com
I have 12+ very nice drones and I just wanted to try and increase my chances of recovery if anything crazy were to happen.

So to feel sympathy all you need is that **** number on a drone? Otherwise you just say “well sucks to be you” with a smirk?

“God helps those who help themselves.” Seems to me that if you don’t put contact info on your drone, it’s on you if it isn’t returned. Seems heartless but do you expect a finder to be a mind reader?

Contact the manufacturer. They know who they've sold to.
Get the serial number of the aircraft. Contact DJI with that info and "your" contact info. DJI will not give you the owner, but they will pass on your contact info to the owner who can then contact you. A similar situation was just in an article on the Phantom forum with a successful return of the aircraft to its owner.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smalls
You would think that the FAA would at least offer to contact the owner. They don't have to share the contact info. Sure, it's only $5 to register a drone, but for what purpose? What service do they provide to the owner of that drone?

The purpose of registration is to facilitate finding the owner who may be responsible and liable for damages in the event that their property (the drone), and actions (flying the drone/putting others at risk) disfigures a toddler or worse when the drone crashes. The $5 registration fee pays for establishing and maintaining the registration database, and using it for enforcement actions that benefit our society. No ”service” to the registrant was ever implied or intended.

If you fly for recreation, you fly under so called ”community-base rules” like the AMA’s. I don't know of any other community-based rules so the AMA’s may be the defacto standard. I believe that the AMA rules require an ID label on the aircraft that includes your AMA membership number, and/or name, address, and phone number (I assume if not a member). Again, this is not really to facilitate recovery of a lost aircraft.

Commercial flying regs also have aircraft ID requirements.

Getting the FAA involved may not be doing the owner of the subject lost drone any favors. Losing control of an aircraft isn't trivial and may lead to an investigation and some sort of legal action, assuming the FAA has the resources and interest to follow up. Someday they will. I assume the owner will at least have to file a report with the FAA. If the report says ”it just flew away and I don't know why” isn't going to help the owner’s situation or the drone industry.

If you fly, it is possible if not likely that you will lose a drone at some point. If you don't know this, maybe finding a different activity would be wise. In any case, in addition to your registration number, putting your contact info on the drone to facilitate recovery without having to involve the FAA is probably a good idea.

When you fly, you put others at risk, and you are responsible for the damages/injuries you cause. Therefore, it's also a good idea to fly with drone liability insurance. AMA membership includes $70k of insurance - assuming you are flying within their rules. I'm sure their insurance does not cover flight activities outside their rules. Otherwise, you can use the Skywatch.ai or Verifly Drone apps to buy on-demand flight insurance. Again, these providers will not cover activities outside the applicable rules of your flight.

Last edited:
While we are on subject of FAA registration can anyone tell me if there is a UK equivalent for registration of details on Mavic2pro.

So to feel sympathy all you need is that **** number on a drone? Otherwise you just say “well sucks to be you” with a smirk?

I always stick my phone number on my A/C. I had a fly away once and many months later when I least expected
It, I got a phone call. A roofer comducting inspections on a building found it, called me and I got my drone back. I posted the whole ordeal on a post titled “Prodigle drone teturns.” So, yeah registration and phone number for me. I’m not doing anything wrong to worry about the what if’s. If an accident happens, I’m prepared to deal with it as it’s just that, an accident. If my drone flies away, the odds are favorable that someone will call me. My 2 cents.

Reactions: Smalls
Finders keepers. Seems like abandoned property to me!
The storage charges should exceed the value shortly! :cool:

I was under the assumption that one of the purposes of the ID-number was to be able to locate the owner. It would have been nice if the FAA broadcasted the fact that the owner contact info is not available. All one can possible determine from the number is the city, state, & zip of the owner.
SO TAG YOUR AC WITH YOUR CONTACT INFO!

I was under the assumption that one of the purposes of the ID-number was to be able to locate the owner.
That's correct ...to help the FAA locate the owner when they need to.
It's not for lost and found.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Thanks everyone for the phone number tip. It honestly never dawned on me. I put FAA number on all of my rc planes and helicoptors, but never my phone number because i was always flying right in front of me. My drones are not. They now have my number on them. Kind of a Duh! moment. Thanks for the tip.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman