DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Found; Mavic 2's Achilles Heel.

Dude's like this keep Thunderdrones in business. I'm not saying you're going to crash it, but yeah you're going to crash it!

Thumbswayup

Thunderdrones alao offers marriage and drone counseling? I love this website!

Honestly though, he’s giving good advice and obviously cares about the community here

Out of the Mavic 2s we've repaired it seems the weak spot is the end stops on the rear arms. The MP had the same issue too, but it's even worse on the M2.

From what I've seen the gimbal is way tougher than the Mavic 1. A common fault is the end stops on the motors getting damaged (same with any DJI gimbal) which causes the startup routine to fail. That, and the roll arms on the gimbals bending and stopping the pitch axis from moving correctly.

I've yet to see the gimbal fault you describe. The gimbal spontaneously flipping on one axis would imply either a damaged IMU or a damaged hall sensor in one of the motors.

An interesting point is that DJI added temperature sensors on the coils of the pitch and roll motors of the M2 gimbal. A common fault with the Phantom 4 series gimbals is the motors overheating and burning out, especially yaw motors, so I'm pleased to see that DJI have actually learned and taken steps to prevent this in future.

I think the M2 gimbal is a vast leap ahead of the MP, and is really a marvel of electronic/mechanical design.

Reactions: Former Member
I know this may sound geekish, weirdo flier... but I can't think of any other reason for behaving like this...When I fly my MAVIC 2, MAVIC 1, Autel EVO I tend to treat my flight as if I were flying one of those Military Drones. There's no second guessing to my flights. I fly them with precision RC control. I take off as I were in a multi-million dollar AC. I land the same.... for this type of flying I seem to always come back home with an undamaged flyable Aircraft. Weird or not...

You can DEFINITELY be my wingman any time. ;)

Reactions: AMann
If I wanted fly risky maneuvers, I will get a cheaper drone to fly. I just don’t have $1000 extra sitting around to pay for my fun times. Thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: Former Member
Dude's like this keep Thunderdrones in business. I'm not saying you're going to crash it, but yeah you're going to crash it!

Thumbswayup

I think you are correct with your assumption.
I have not owned an RC toy that I have not crashed yet. Been doing it for about 20 years or so, covering all aspects of it - air, land, and sea (lake) models. I've enjoyed repairing them as well, learned a lot about them by fixing them.
A drone like the mavic takes very little skill to fly since everything is stabilized you have map and GPS for location and orientation is not a concern since it flies the same way forward or backward or even sideways.
In worst-case scenario you let go of the sticks and it will stable hover, you look at the arrow/orientation on the display, look at the map where it is, correct orientation and fly it back.
You all been spoiled with gyros and GPS this drone has.

I think you are correct with your assumption.
I have not owned an RC toy that I have not crashed yet. Been doing it for about 20 years or so, covering all aspects of it - air, land, and sea (lake) models. I've enjoyed repairing them as well, learned a lot about them by fixing them.
A drone like the mavic takes very little skill to fly since everything is stabilized you have map and GPS for location and orientation is not a concern since it flies the same way forward or backward or even sideways.
In worst-case scenario you let go of the sticks and it will stable hover, you look at the arrow/orientation on the display, look at the map where it is, correct orientation and fly it back.
You all been spoiled with gyros and GPS this drone has.

Please sign your paycheck over to "Thunderdrones."

Please sign your paycheck over to "Thunderdrones."

:)
Only if it is "high quality, LOW-COST alternative drone repair. "
Honestly, when it dies I am not sure if I will spend money repairing it if cost is high as you mentioned earlier - gimbal $350. I paid $600 for the entire MP with fly more kit (used).
I would pay you to help me build one, I want to choose to have the freedom of having an aftermarket battery and optional camera option.

Well, Polar Pro’s going back to Amazon- they should work, but one of the front ones broke at the hinge just putting it on my drone the first time. I think I will try them again though and asked for a exchange. Will post an update when I get them.

That's sad to hear, I have a few Polar Pro accessories and have found them by and large to be pretty well made so yes, I'd probably give them another try. Best of luck and keep us informed.

Regards
Ari

but yeah you're going to crash it!

Don't kids yourself, we're *all* going to crash it eventually, it comes with the territory. Some of us just do it more ......lovingly than others LOL

Regards
Ari

Reactions: charliesRig
Another weakness seems to be the fan. My first one just quit after 4,357km and 105hrs.
I was in a rush so dropped in a whole new core board and fan assembly and will diagnose the failure later.

Screenshot_20190216-012221.jpeg

I've only crashed my mavic 2 zoom once (first time flying it). I was flying it forward at low level and it clipped the grass and flipped over. (I guess the sensors cant detect the ground whilst at forward tilt) There was no damage, just covered in mud, I guess I was lucky?

Ari, I have a few new products soon to be released that will help with that. Some time next week...
If they're really cool, bring some next Saturday, I'm always interested in really cool stuff.

:)
Only if it is "high quality, LOW-COST alternative drone repair. "
Honestly, when it dies I am not sure if I will spend money repairing it if cost is high as you mentioned earlier - gimbal $350. I paid $600 for the entire MP with fly more kit (used).
I would pay you to help me build one, I want to choose to have the freedom of having an aftermarket battery and optional camera option.

But the MP wasn't $600 when it was new. At release it was something like $1200, and the parts were priced by DJI at that time. If you crashed your $1200 drone then $350 to repair seems reasonable, but if you only paid $600 then suddenly the $350 repair bill is more of an issue.

Even when DJI reduce the retail price of new drones, they don't adjust the parts of prices. Mavic Pro parts haven't changed at all on the DJI dealer ordering system since it was first released in 2016.

They started reducing the cost of Inspire 1 parts after about 4 years.

Makes sense for DJI as they will sell more new drones as old ones become uneconomical to repair. That said, we still deal with around 200 Mavic Pros each month and very few people reject repair quotes. More and more people attempt to repair drones themselves as they become less valuable, which is great given today's throw away mentality, but we have calls every day from people who have bought a gimbal from China without any associated (calibrated) control boards and wonder why they don't work.

Reactions: Pontoon-pilot
Every aircraft has an expiration date. The objective is to avoid being in it when the date arrives.

Reactions: Elude
I got the M2P Dec 2018. My P3A is for sale. Now i know what to do with the money i get on the sale. Open an HSA for my M2P. [emoji16]

Thunderdrones - thanks for the heads up. I am sure no one intentionally crashes their drones. (I hope.) I am sure some would become complacent when flying after a while. I remember my 1st flight I was scared to death of my $1500 flying off to who knows where. I am building my confidence by flying every chance I get. Check out my videos on youtube - Paul Widmayer - or my wixpage - yeah I am growing slowly.
Newbie drone page

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji