DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Found; Mavic 2's Achilles Heel.

Former Member

Reactions
Every drone that DJI has made has had its Achilles Heel. Phantom 3 Pro had a gimbal PCB that would fry when you updated the firmware if you didnt keep a fan blowing on it. Phantom 3 and Phantom 4 sometimes developed stress cracks on the motor pods from vibration. Mavics rear arms would fold up and destroy themselves upon even a gentle impact with the ground. Last but not least, our beloved new Mavic 2's have their soft spot.as well; the gimbal motor assembly.

I have repaired dozens of new Mavic 2 Pros and Mavic 2 Zooms, and the gimbal motor assembly will become irreparably damaged if you have a ground strike. The Zooms gimbal will flip backwards 180°. Sometimes I can flip them back and the gimbal will start working again. On the Mavic 2 Pro, the camera is super heavy. If it makes contact with the ground, the gimbal is essentially destroyed.

Folks, these are not toys. I love repairing them, but I dont want to repair yours next! Treat your drone like a lady, and she will serve you faithfully for a long time. Use your prop guards! Please! They are a small investment and will save your $600 gimbal.

Hope you all had a nice Valentines Day.

Rob

Last edited:
Sooo...? Sounds more like an operator issue than an MP2 issue. And "Treat your drone like a lady" WTF?

Drones crash and have hard landings. Its par for the course.

Achilles' Heel was pierced during a battle, and he then died. Thats what Achilles Heel means. "a weakness in spite of overall strength."

You seem to have owned many drones. I hope you treat your drones well. How do you treat your ladies? :rolleyes:

Sooo...? Sounds more like an operator issue than an MP2 issue. And "Treat your drone like a lady" WTF?

I think what he meant is to take your drone out to dinner if you don't want it to give you trouble later?
I don't know... I don't like to attach human emotions to toys, be it a drone a car or a motorcycle.
My drone-- I mod it, leave it out in the cold, drive it beyond its limit, break the law with it, sometimes abuse it or do risky stuff with it.
Oh...and I paid for it (the drone)...
So to me, the answer is no, can't treat it like a lady.

Last edited:
Drones crash and have hard landings. Its par for the course.

Achilles' Heel was pierced during a battle, and he then died. Thats what Achilles Heel means. "a weakness in spite of overall strength."

You seem to have owned many drones. I hope you treat your drones well. How do you treat your ladies? :rolleyes:
no matter what advice you try to give Rob there are those who dont care and will just carry on regardless still it will keep you busy

Thanks for the heads up Rob

In 27 years on the sticks I've put an aircraft into terrain twice both times pilot error, although one was an engine failure while inverted I should have brought it down, just made the wrong decision at the time. I fully expect it'll happen again sometime before I get too old to fly.

It's always nice to know the weak spots. A case for landing gear extensions perhaps? It won't save you in a full out of control impact of course but a little extra ground clearance for an emergency on rough terrain or hard landing might make all the difference perhaps?

Regards
Ari

Last edited:
no matter what advice you try to give Rob there are those who dont care and will just carry on regardless still it will keep you busy

Omm, if I can save just 1 drone from crashing, then I consider my mission to alert people worthwhile. To the others, I will repair them if they do crash :(

Thanks for the heads up Rob

In 27 years on the sticks I've put an aircraft into terrain twice both times pilot error, although one was an engine failure while inverted I should have brought it down, just made the wrong decision at the time. I fully expect it'll happen again sometime before I get to old to fly.

It's always nice to know the weak spots. A case for landing gear extensions perhaps? It won't save you in a full out of control impact of course but a little extra ground clearance for an emergency on rough terrain or hard landing might make all the difference perhaps?

Regards
Ari

Ari, I have a few new products soon to be released that will help with that. Some time next week...

Ari, I have a few new products soon to be released that will help with that. Some time next week...

I'll be interested to see them Rob. Maybe you need an Australian branch LOL We feel so left out ;) Keep up the good work.

Regards
Ari

I think what he meant is to take your drone out to dinner if you don't want it to give you trouble later?
I don't know... I don't like to attach human emotions to toys, be it a drone a car or a motorcycle.
My drone-- I mod it, leave it out in the cold, drive it beyond its limit, break the law with it, sometimes abuse it or do risky stuff with it.
Oh...and I paid for it (the drone)...
So to me, the answer is no, can't treat it like a lady.

Funny! I treat all my toys and many of my possessions like ladies. My Suzuki was "Suzi." My Subaru is "Subie."

I dont think Im the first person to treat his ship like a lady.

Memphis Belle.jpg

Funny! I treat all my toys and many of my possessions like ladies. My Suzuki was "Suzi." My Subaru is "Subie."

I dont think Im the first person to treat his ship like a lady.

View attachment 63018
I like your reference to the Memphis Belle! Being that I live near by and work in Memphis.

When we moved to Memphis area, she was on display under a canopy located on the banks of the Mississippi river. But due to neglect she was relocated. She has since been restored once again and is on display at the National Museum of the US Air Force in Dayton, Ohio. What a Lady!

I like your reference to the Memphis Belle! Being that I live near by and work in Memphis.

When we moved to Memphis area, she was on display under a canopy located on the banks of the Mississippi river. But due to neglect she was relocated. She has since been restored once again and is on display at the National Museum of the US Air Force in Dayton, Ohio. What a Lady!

You see! She is a lady right??? lol

Reactions: old man mavic
Omm, if I can save just 1 drone from crashing, then I consider my mission to alert people worthwhile. To the others, I will repair them if they do crash :(

Rob likes to talk his customers out of his business, but some of them want to give him more, anyway. ;). Thanks for your recommendations here, I have since bought prop guards and also added folding landing feet to protect the gimbal and props while flying near trees and over sand in the desert looking for jackelopes.

I know this may sound geekish, weirdo flier... but I can't think of any other reason for behaving like this...When I fly my MAVIC 2, MAVIC 1, Autel EVO I tend to treat my flight as if I were flying one of those Military Drones. There's no second guessing to my flights. I fly them with precision RC control. I take off as I were in a multi-million dollar AC. I land the same.... for this type of flying I seem to always come back home with an undamaged flyable Aircraft. Weird or not...

Good to know thunderdrones is able to repair a gimbal. Would much rather use a US source for such a repair.

Paul C

Reactions: Former Member
I know this may sound geekish, weirdo flier... but I can't think of any other reason for behaving like this...When I fly my MAVIC 2, MAVIC 1, Autel EVO I tend to treat my flight as if I were flying one of those Military Drones. There's no second guessing to my flights. I fly them with precision RC control. I take off as I were in a multi-million dollar AC. I land the same.... for this type of flying I seem to always come back home with an undamaged flyable Aircraft. Weird or not...

English teacher: who are you calling a geekish, weirdo flier? :)

It certainly does help to have a flight plan.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman