DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Found Mavic Air 2 in national park. What to do?

You are quite correct! But who said the pilot took off from outside the park???? And, how did the discovery person know????
If the drone was discovered inside the park, I believe the NPS authorities should have been notified to investigate.
Yes, Really!!
who said he did not?

There is a supposed buffer zone that extends in altitude to approximately 2000 feet. over all national parks. I have been known to be wrong in the past. If there is, and if the altitude is 2000 feet, then the flight was illegal unless it was conducted in an approved area within the park.
Sectional charts have a notice that pilots are requested to stay over 2000 feet, but it isn't a legal requirement.

who said he did not?
Good question, I did NOT say the pilot did/n’t!
You are trying to make an argument where there is no need for one! The fact of the matter is a drone was discovered in the NPS. It should have been turned over to NPS authorities for investigation. Plain and simple. There are no FAA restrictions for flyover from outside. Only a suggested 2000’ buffer altitude. Likewise, it is only NPS policy that cover the prohibitions, not law! The enforcement of persons caught violating the NPS policy is wildlife related, not FAA rules related.

As with any National Park in the USA, the entire park is a NFZ.

View attachment 113539
This is not the law. This is a suggestion from NPS. They can prevent you from taking off and landing on NPS property but they CANNOT prevent you from overflying the park as long as you takeoff and land outside park property. The link I posted above is the official FAA NFZ website.

Another little tidbit to those who said it was illegal.
"The NPS has the authority to regulate or prohibit the use of unmanned aircraft from or on lands and waters administered by the NPS. As a result, the compendium closures required by the Policy Memorandum only apply to launching, landing, or operating unmanned aircraft from or on lands and waters administered by the NPS within the boundaries of the park. The closures do not apply to launching, landing, or operating unmanned aircraft from or on non-federally (e.g., private or state) owned lands located within the exterior boundaries of the park. The closures do not apply to the flight of unmanned aircraft in the airspace above a park if the device is launched, landed, and operated from or on lands and waters that are not administered by the NPS."

Found at the bottom of this memorandum (#9 at the bottom) that I print out and highlight before I go fly in any kind of area like this.
Memorandom to print out before you go. Highlight the text above that I posted.

Last edited:
Another little tidbit to those who said it was illegal.
"The NPS has the authority to regulate or prohibit the use of unmanned aircraft from or on lands and waters administered by the NPS. As a result, the compendium closures required by the Policy Memorandum only apply to launching, landing, or operating unmanned aircraft from or on lands and waters administered by the NPS within the boundaries of the park. The closures do not apply to launching, landing, or operating unmanned aircraft from or on non-federally (e.g., private or state) owned lands located within the exterior boundaries of the park. The closures do not apply to the flight of unmanned aircraft in the airspace above a park if the device is launched, landed, and operated from or on lands and waters that are not administered by the NPS."

Found at the bottom of this memorandum (#9 at the bottom) that I print out before I go fly in any kind of area like this.
Memorandom to print out before you go. Highlight the text above that I posted.

THANK YOU! The signs you see that say “No Drone zone” or similar, only mean you cannnot takeoff or land on that property. Take for instance the sign above posted by Pappy for Lassen NP. In small letters it says no takeoffs or landings. The rest of the sign certainly makes it appear that you can’t fly above the park. But you can, legally, as long as you takeoff and land outside park property. As much as they would like to control the airspace above the park, they can’t. All airspace in the US is controlled by the FAA. The only official NFZ chart is the one I posted above published by the FAA.

THANK YOU! The signs you see that say “No Drone zone” or similar, only mean you cannnot takeoff or land on that property. Take for instance the sign above posted by Pappy for Lassen NP. In small letters it says no takeoffs or landings. The rest of the sign certainly makes it appear that you can’t fly above the park. But you can, legally, as long as you takeoff and land outside park property. As much as they would like to control the airspace above the park, they can’t. All airspace in the US is controlled by the FAA. The only official NFZ chart is the one I posted above published by the FAA.
Basically it was same as I posted previously. NPS policy is no drone flying in the parks. But again, that is NPS policy. They can word it how they wish but it is stilll NPS policy, not law. The down side is they can stick it to you via wildlife protection rules.

Overall, the best action is to not drone in NPs, but seek permission. There are surely some areas that would be receptive. It does not hurt to inquire for a particular area.

Reactions: MA2 317
ive never seen that anywhere mine is inside .

This thread discusses a US location, and the US FAA specifically states registration number "must be visible on an outside surface of the drone."

And in part 48.205(c):
§48.205 Display and location of unique identifier.
(a) The unique identifier must be maintained in a condition that is legible.

(b) The unique identifier must be affixed to the small unmanned aircraft by any means necessary to ensure that it will remain affixed for the duration of each operation.

(c) The unique identifier must be legibly displayed on an external surface of the small unmanned aircraft.

Last edited:
I found a Mavic Air 2 this week while hiking in a national park (drones illegal). I picked it up and thought maybe I could find the owner. It's missing a propeller and has scratches so I figure it got blown out of the trees the night before.

As far as I can tell it doesn't have a registration number.

I am not sure what to do now. Is there another way to find the owner? I wouldn't mind having a drone but I also don't want to be a thief.
Without a registration number you likely will never find the owner but there should be a product ID somewhere (mine is inside the battery compartment on Mavic 2 Pro. That could possibly lead you to the owner but doubtful. I'd say keep it with no guilt! BTW I've been told if he took off outside NP then it's legal

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost