DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Found Mavic Air 2 in national park. What to do?

Not quite. The FAA has no rule in place to prohibit overflight of NPS lands with very few exceptions. Those exception pertain mostly, but not all, to the NPS property within Wash., DC. The NPS uses POLICY to prevent takeoff and landing within NPS boundaries. Wildlife harassment and land destruction/modifications rules. As there are no prohibitions concerning the airspace over NPS, with few exceptions, one may legally takeoff/land outside the NPS property, hopefully with landowner consent, and perform a fly over. Crashing on NPS property is considered landing! The NPS May fine you for violations.

I thought it was an FAA rule but it is not, it is a National Parks Service (NPS) rule which carries about the same amount of weight IMHO.

The FAA may have authority over almost all of national airspace, but the airspace directly over National Parks is an exception. Instead, this authority falls on the shoulders of the National Parks Service (NPS). In addition to the National Parks, the NPS also has authority over 60 rivers, 23 nature trails, and hundreds of monuments, historic sites, battlefields, seashores, and biking trails. Clearly, the NPS is quite a powerful agency with a heavy responsibility and an accordingly expansive authority.

The bad news for drone pilots is that the NPS has announced a blanket restriction against drone flight over National Parks since August 2014. Under 36 CFR 1.5, flight of all types of unmanned aircraft has been prohibited over National Parks, including drones and model airplanes.

Even worse is the fact that this blanket restriction also applies to all areas under the jurisdiction of the NPS. This has proven to be quite controversial among the commercial drone community simply because of all the lost opportunities for drones to capture amazing shots of all these natural features and historical landmarks. The NPS also doesn’t offer much by way of concession for commercial drone flight in National Parks, making this restriction one of the most absolute of any drone-related laws.

NPS would like you to think so, but it is not. If you press them, they will admit they can't restrict you from flying over. But they can get you if you take off, land or operate (by that it means operating controls while you are standing in their land) a drone, and there's a good chance you'll end up in this predicament or challenged as if you were.

Many apps, articles and general description of restrictions will include NPS as if it was an FAA NFZ restriction, simply out of respect for NPS.

NPS would like you to think so, but it is not. If you press them, they will admit they can't restrict you from flying over. But they can get you if you take off, land or operate (by that it means operating controls while you are standing in their land) a drone, and there's a good chance you'll end up in this predicament or challenged as if you were.

Many apps, articles and general description of restrictions will include NPS as if it was an FAA NFZ restriction, simply out of respect for NPS.
Quite correct. The NPS, operating under the Dept of the Interior, has no jurisdiction over the airspace. Several places around the US have been designated as No Fly Zone due to proximity of national resources, i.e., White House. Amazingly, other lands under the protection of the DOI, i.e., national wilderness areas are generally, drone friendly, but may not be used to further one's hunting abilities, such as scouting for elk.

Bottom-line, when camping or hiking, one should be fully aware of the rules of the land (be they city, state, national) one is on and abide by the rules established. Show and teach others how to be a responsible drone pilot. Research before you go! Respect the rules.

Just so we know, drones are not the only problem in National Parks.

I thought it was an FAA rule but it is not, it is a National Parks Service (NPS) rule which carries about the same amount of weight IMHO.

The FAA may have authority over almost all of national airspace, but the airspace directly over National Parks is an exception. Instead, this authority falls on the shoulders of the National Parks Service (NPS). In addition to the National Parks, the NPS also has authority over 60 rivers, 23 nature trails, and hundreds of monuments, historic sites, battlefields, seashores, and biking trails. Clearly, the NPS is quite a powerful agency with a heavy responsibility and an accordingly expansive authority.

The bad news for drone pilots is that the NPS has announced a blanket restriction against drone flight over National Parks since August 2014. Under 36 CFR 1.5, flight of all types of unmanned aircraft has been prohibited over National Parks, including drones and model airplanes.

Even worse is the fact that this blanket restriction also applies to all areas under the jurisdiction of the NPS. This has proven to be quite controversial among the commercial drone community simply because of all the lost opportunities for drones to capture amazing shots of all these natural features and historical landmarks. The NPS also doesn’t offer much by way of concession for commercial drone flight in National Parks, making this restriction one of the most absolute of any drone-related laws.

So as you saw the NAS system is VERY different from the dept of the interior.

With that being said, DON'T piss folks off.

Ill be honest as a professional aviator that has "skirted the rules" here in the states a bunch of times.....

I think that every one of us should try and mitigate our drone flights.
Be respectful of anyone around you!

Ill be totally honest....I can count on two hands and a foot......when someone flew "something" over my head when fly fishing. I literally wished my shotgun was at my side!

Just be respectful ......

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky