DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Found Mavic Air 2 in national park. What to do?

Can you extract flight logs from it and determine if the owner was violating the NFZ restrictions? Also there are tools to recover deleted files on the SD, maybe can lead to some interesting files, altho YMMV.

Can you extract flight logs from it and determine if the owner was violating the NFZ restrictions? Also there are tools to recover deleted files on the SD, maybe can lead to some interesting files, altho YMMV.
Read post #27. ;)

Reactions: MA2 317
ive never seen that anywhere mine is inside .

This may not apply for the UK pilots?

Here in the USA, it was acceptable to have the FAA registration number inside the aircraft so as long the battery can be removed without any tools such as a screwdriver.

But the first responders to a crashed drone may get injured if they try to remove the battery if it was damaged to obtain the information.
The rule was revised and the numbers must be displayed on the outside of the aircraft for pilots in the USA.

Reactions: Tufargon
I found a Mavic Air 2 this week while hiking in a national park (drones illegal). I picked it up and thought maybe I could find the owner. It's missing a propeller and has scratches so I figure it got blown out of the trees the night before.

As far as I can tell it doesn't have a registration number.

I am not sure what to do now. Is there another way to find the owner? I wouldn't mind having a drone but I also don't want to be a thief.
Some guy lost his drone so be a good guy and try to get it back to him! No sense trying to be the drone police, besides if it was your drone what would you want to happen. So be a hero and make someone happy and you might make a new friend!

Yes, National parks are protected by the FAA. You cannot take off, land or fly over National Park without special authorizations or permits.
Not quite. The FAA has no rule in place to prohibit overflight of NPS lands with very few exceptions. Those exception pertain mostly, but not all, to the NPS property within Wash., DC. The NPS uses POLICY to prevent takeoff and landing within NPS boundaries. Wildlife harassment and land destruction/modifications rules. As there are no prohibitions concerning the airspace over NPS, with few exceptions, one may legally takeoff/land outside the NPS property, hopefully with landowner consent, and perform a fly over. Crashing on NPS property is considered landing! The NPS May fine you for violations.

Some guy lost his drone so be a good guy and try to get it back to him! No sense trying to be the drone police, besides if it was your drone what would you want to happen. So be a hero and make someone happy and you might make a new friend!
He came to this forum to try to find the owner and did and returned it. He is a hero.
Read post #27.

Shoot if they don’t message you. It’s yours. But I wouldn’t turn it in , geez why try and get someone in trouble ? All these peeps wanting the FFA called along with the FBI, CIA, DEA....lol for real

Reactions: Renoetra
How?

Shoot if they don’t message you. It’s yours. But I wouldn’t turn it in , geez why try and get someone in trouble ? All these peeps wanting the FFA called along with the FBI, CIA, DEA....lol for real

What the heck does Future Farmers of America have to do with anything :p

How which? Trying to get it back to owner..he contacted DJI...DJI contacted the owner..Already in thread post #27 and mentioned again twice ;) If it's the friend part I would be happy to meet the guy who found my drone....if I ever lost one. :p

Reactions: Thomas B
How which? Trying to get it back to owner..he contacted DJI...DJI contacted the owner..Already in thread post #27 and mentioned again twice ;) If it's the friend part I would be happy to meet the guy who found my drone....if I ever lost one. :p

The owner also offered a $100 reward when he contacted me. So I feel pretty god about the situation. I am happy and owner is happy.

Wrote this before I read post #27 (because the forum software has hidden it from my eyes :) ) - sorry.

In a Mavic Mini facebook group somebody lost their drone.
A couple of days later he got an email from DJI that the drone has been found. They did not give the information of the owner to the finder - rather they informed the owner about the finder - then it is up to the owner to contact the finder.
The lady, who found the drone, knew some other drone pilot. And the drone pilot contacted DJI with the serial number.
I would try that. Because if the drone was registered with DJI, then they have at least an email address....

Last edited:
This thread discusses a US location, and the US FAA specifically states registration number "must be visible on an outside surface of the drone."

And in part 48.205(c):
§48.205 Display and location of unique identifier.
(a) The unique identifier must be maintained in a condition that is legible.

(b) The unique identifier must be affixed to the small unmanned aircraft by any means necessary to ensure that it will remain affixed for the duration of each operation.

(c) The unique identifier must be legibly displayed on an external surface of the small unmanned aircraft.
Maybe an American thing then .. ;)

You are quite correct! But who said the pilot took off from outside the park???? And, how did the discovery person know????
If the drone was discovered inside the park, I believe the NPS authorities should have been notified to investigate.
Yes, Really!!
As you should know flight logs tell no lies.

i dont get the big deal, whats with the national parks thing in the US ? if it was near an airport then yes very bad but its a park !!!! .
OTT

i dont get the big deal, whats with the national parks thing in the US ? if it was near an airport then yes very bad but its a park !!!! .
OTT
Most of these "Parks" are more like National Landmarks that are being spoke of. Some have very quiet and serene settings and are very populated during normal times. On some there is heavy Helicopter site seeing or low flying fixed wings. It's debatable with the full sized aircraft and the noise thing (One excuse for the ban) coupled with protected animal preserves and such, so they just blanket adopted the NFZ...such a shame as some really great footage could be obtained, but it is what it is. And as discussed if done correctly you CAN fly over the park.

Most of these "Parks" are more like National Landmarks that are being spoke of. Some have very quiet and serene settings and are very populated during normal times. On some there is heavy Helicopter site seeing or low flying fixed wings. It's debatable with the full sized aircraft and the noise thing (One excuse for the ban) coupled with protected animal preserves and such, so they just blanket adopted the NFZ...such a shame as some really great footage could be obtained, but it is what it is. And as discussed if done correctly you CAN fly over the park.
ok i guess we kind of dont get the idea of not being able to fly over a national park over this side of the pond ,if its highly populated ,monuments ect i guess thats probably why the fuss...i dont wish to upset you guys over the pond but i just could not see why this thread has so much input.
a park over here is normally a green area that people use for recreational purposes .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+