DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Found Mavic Pro at Crater Lake, Oregon

ColeinMN

Reactions
YynudvQ.jpg

My dad and I were hiking off the beaten path at Crater Lake in Oregon and I found a Mavic Pro on a rock slide inside the rim.

It appears to be in totally fine shape (just a little dirty) and is just out of battery. When I click the power button it blinks 1 light a couple times.

I removed the SD card and there is just 1 flight (3 files) of about 20min total flying time above the lake. It's actually illegal to fly drones at Crater Lake but that's neither here nor there. There is no image of the owners face, just their feet. At the end of the 2nd file the video appears to start having issues. The 3rd video file is corrupt and unopenable. I'm guessing it either froze up or ran out of battery.

There is no identifying info anywhere on it, the QR codes don't bring up anything, the logs are useless and I've tried searching for Crater Lake Lost Mavic. Nothing and no way to find the person.
Many of the protective plastic sheets are still on it. I have a feeling this was the first and only flight.

I don't fly or own drones but do shoot photography. I've been thinking about a drone but expense seemed too high.

1. If you have any info about the owner or other ways I could try to find them please let me know.

2. Otherwise, what would I need to buy to get up and running with it myself? I think doing FPV would be awesome

3. Or should I sell it? How much is it worth?

Thanks!

Cole

as a fellow photog first and drone piolot second, they are a wonderful tool, i wish i got one earlier, the mav is my drone of choice small and portable, image quality is good with some editing work, i use luminar and get great results, i bracket every photo and merge in light room using raw files of course, i think posting here was a great first step, if no one can identify or proof its thiers i would give it a few weeks of trying and then find a used or refurb remote and a few extra batteires and be off to the races,,,,, whoohooo, good on ya for posting here first

You could use your smartphone to control it. There is a switch on the device, see the manual. (its not for long distance flights though)
Then you need a charger for about $20.
But I wonder, the drone should normally be registered with DJI. But you could try it out and maybe in the process find the original owner.

Thank you both for the responses.

How would I check if it is registered with DJI? I thought I read somewhere that they don't help facilitate finding owners.

Could you possibly direct me toward info about the app or how to use it? Thanks!

The 3rd video file is corrupt and unopenable. I'm guessing it either froze up or ran out of battery.

It may be possible to recover that file. If you still have it and want to try let me know. ;)

Good things come to honest people like you.. I think you've done enough to find the rightful owner.. Take you mavic and explore the possibilities.. Check out my video of San Diego.. All with the Mavic pro. Also flying with your phone as a beginner could be discouraging as its not easy to do..

It may be possible to recover that file. If you still have it and want to try let me know. ;)

Hi dvarapala,

Here is the 3rd file: DJI_0005.MOV

I tried opening it with VLC with no luck. If you're able to open it and recover the video please let me know - I would love to see it.
The first 2 videos add up to 17min and based on what I am seeing that is close to max flight time, especially on a cold day like it clearly was. So I'm guessing they just ran out of juice.

DJI sells the controllers separately: Here

Thanks to tales of lost planes posted on this forum, my phone number is on my AC right below the FAA Reg number.

YynudvQ.jpg

My dad and I were hiking off the beaten path at Crater Lake in Oregon and I found a Mavic Pro on a rock slide inside the rim.

It appears to be in totally fine shape (just a little dirty) and is just out of battery. When I click the power button it blinks 1 light a couple times.

I removed the SD card and there is just 1 flight (3 files) of about 20min total flying time above the lake. It's actually illegal to fly drones at Crater Lake but that's neither here nor there. There is no image of the owners face, just their feet. At the end of the 2nd file the video appears to start having issues. The 3rd video file is corrupt and unopenable. I'm guessing it either froze up or ran out of battery.

There is no identifying info anywhere on it, the QR codes don't bring up anything, the logs are useless and I've tried searching for Crater Lake Lost Mavic. Nothing and no way to find the person.
Many of the protective plastic sheets are still on it. I have a feeling this was the first and only flight.

I don't fly or own drones but do shoot photography. I've been thinking about a drone but expense seemed too high.

1. If you have any info about the owner or other ways I could try to find them please let me know.

2. Otherwise, what would I need to buy to get up and running with it myself? I think doing FPV would be awesome

Thanks!

Cole
I lost my drone last week. I am interested in buying yours. How much would you like?

Find out who the owner is and tell him you turned it in to the NPS at Crater Lake.
Then get it up and running and don't fly it where you aren't supposed to.
Expect no mercy...
;)

Hi dvarapala,

I tried opening it with VLC with no luck. If you're able to open it and recover the video please let me know - I would love to see it.

Unfortunately that's an .MOV file. I have been able to successfully recover corrupted video footage from my MPP, but those files were in .MP4 format; the tools I have don't work on .MOV.

But I'll see what I can do and keep you posted. :)

Hi dvarapala,

Update: I found a program that might work, but it needs a second (working) video file from the same camera in order to reconstruct the damaged file. I tried an older MOV file from my MPP with no luck. If you could upload one of the two working video files from the drone I can try that.

YynudvQ.jpg

Thanks!

Cole

He should have FAA registration information on the drone. Usually most put their aircraft registration in the battery area. If so you can then check on the FAA sight for owner information. I bet I get a barrage of boos from non law abiding owners on here. Hater gone Hate!

My heart jumped when I saw your post because my drone ran out of battery at the crater lake and fell into the steep rim, only accessible to climbers. Alas, mine was an air, not a pro :(

Thanks!

Cole

Cole,

Its all well that you want to return it to the owner, but just be aware that you could have been cited for taking it too. I gave a drone I found in Joshua Tree National Park to a ranger- they said it was good because I could have been cited also for removing evidence if I took it (it’s true), but he also thanked me for it as they have been having a huge issue with drones there- people tried chasing bighorn sheep with lambs before, and lambs separated from their group become lion fodder or die of dehydration in the heat. Sounds like people are ignoring laws at Crater Lake, too.

You should turn them in if they are from a place that does not allow flying them like a National Park, and give the park a chance to take care of the issue with the owner themselves.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803