DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FOX News DRONE Cleared to fly

Drone_Pilot

Reactions
I guess at some point the FAA couldn't rightfully justify the ban; a NFZ/RZ that wasn't there previously and the heat got too hot politically and they had to provide "clearance" for Fox. But why only for Fox???

Reactions: Lbesing and Droniac
I guess at some point the FAA couldn't rightfully justify the ban; a NFZ/RZ that wasn't there previously and the heat got too hot politically and they had to provide "clearance" for Fox. But why only for Fox???
I'm not sure if the TFR is still in place but I don't think Fox is the only one flying in the area there are other networks.

Reactions: Droniac
It appears the TFR is still in effect through 9/30. It also states that UAS ops can apply for a waiver.

"COMMERCIAL UAS OPS WITH A VALID STATEMENT OF WORK" is listed as a reason to apply for a waiver which could include drones for news gathering. Just a guess, anyway.

Last edited:
ONLY fox was flying drone coverage and reporting on the border situation. The NFZ was created to block their ability to deliver images to compliment their “man on the ground” reporting. This was about to become a “ freedom of the press” confrontation. I’m sure the Fox exception would apply to other legit news organizations.

ONLY fox was flying drone coverage and reporting on the border situation. The NFZ was created to block their ability to deliver images to compliment their “man on the ground” reporting. This was about to become a “ freedom of the press” confrontation. I’m sure the Fox exception would apply to other legit news organizations.

If they had done that to prevent news reporting by Fox or any other major news organization then they would have implemented a full TFR excluding news helicopters. The absence of that, together with the clear language in the TFR explaining how to get authorization to fly, makes it rather obvious that the target of the TFR was not news reporting.

It is incredibly unlikely this TFR was anything other than a security issue. It would be disastrous folly for any administration, regardless of party affiliation, to ask the FAA to close airspace under the guise of "censorship". Love them or hate them, news agencies have immense power to expose such activities. And no one in the gov't can keep a secret, so word would have been leaked.

Anyone who believes this was done in the name of censorship doesn't understand how things work in D.C. with the DHS and FAA. TFRs are NOT implemented at the whim of a sitting administration. There is a strict policy in place that has to be followed. And the process is public. It's too easy to find out if someone was maleficent in their request for a TFR.

This was likely done to prevent too many UAS in the air. If not, there is always the possibility of collision with those drones being used to monitor the situation. DHS and ICE no doubt had their drones in the air on overwatch. They don't need every Tom and Mary drone owner in the area flying and being in the way. At least in their minds.

The simple facts that they provided a standard method of obtaining permission, and that one agency was granted it so quickly, is proof enough that censorship was never the plan.

Also, it was a 1000'AGL TFR. Renting a helicopter would eliminate the censorship aspect as well.

Common sense (which as we all know is no longer common) should eliminate conspiracy theories from the equation. Unfortunately, it didn't. And although I align closer to the news agency that reported it philosophically, I'm extremely disappointed they chose to politicize the issue.

Because it was never a political issue to begin with.

We can certainly debate the necessity of it. Without more knowledge of the number of drones in the area, I can't necessarily agree with their decision. But I don't have that information. And I know for a fact that there are UAS detection systems (& likely deterrent systems) in that area.

So DHS and everyone else who needed to know, have an exact count of UAS incursions. So the TFR could have been a response to too many UAS in the area, or it could have been a preventative TFR for security reasons.

But again, the odds of censorship being the driving reason is astronomical.

This isn't a political issue. And it shouldn't be discussed as one in the forums.

Last edited:
It is incredibly unlikely this TFR was anything other than a security issue. It would be disastrous folly for any administration, regardless of party affiliation, to ask the FAA to close airspace under the guise of "censorship". Love them or hate them, new agencies have immense power to expose such activities. And no one in the gov't can keep a secret, so word would have been leaked.

Anyone who believes this was done in the name of censorship doesn't understand how things work in D.C. with the DHS and FAA. TFRs are NOT implemented at the whim of a sitting administration. There is a strict policy in place that has to be followed. And the process is public. It's too easy to find out if someone was maleficent in their request for a TFR.

This was likely done to prevent too many UAS in the air. If not, there is always the possibility of collision with those drones being used to monitor the situation. DHS and ICE no doubt had their drones in the air on overwatch. They don't need every Tom and Mary drone owner in the area flying and being in the way. At least in their minds.

The simple facts that they provided a standard method of obtaining permission, and that one agency was granted it so quickly, is proof enough that censorship was never the plan.

Also, it was a 1000'AGL TFR. Renting a helicopter would eliminate the censorship aspect as well.

Common sense (which as well all know is no longer common) should eliminate conspiracy theories from the equation. Unfortunately, it didn't. And although I align closer to the news agency that reported it philosophically, I'm extremely disappointed they chose to politicize the issue.

Because it was never a political issue to begin with.

We can certainly debate the necessity of it. Without more knowledge of the number of drones in the area, I can't necessarily agree with their decision. But I don't have that information. And I know for a fact that there are UAS detection systems (& likely deterrent systems) in that area.

So DHS and everyone else who needed to know, have an exact count of UAS incursions. So the TFR could have been a response to too many UAS in the area, or it could have been a preventative TFR for security reasons.

But again, the odds of censorship being the driving reason is astronomical.

This isn't a political issue. And it shouldn't be discussed as one in the forums.
And just to clarify, the TFR doesn't appear to apply to manned aircraft of any kind - it is sUAS specific - and so there is no altitude restriction on news helicopters.

Freedom of the press wins one. How could the government stand in the way of a news organization's right to cover a critical story?

Freedom of the press wins one. How could the government stand in the way of a news organization's right to cover a critical story?
Read my post above. It has ZERO to do with the First Amendment.

If you make this thread political the administrators will we'll lock the thread and no more postings will be allowed. So please no political talk
You are right! Anymore and closed it will be.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore