DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FPV apps for Mavic Mini

RClumens

Reactions
Greetings to all! Am brand new to the forum and could use some thoughts/opinions to get my phone synched up with some
VR goggles. All I want to do is basically use the DJI fly app which I use to 'View' my location when the drone is a bit far away.

I just want to get a VR app that allows that same the transmission. I bought the Bnext goggles which seem to fit pretty well...

Figured to see if anyone knows of some favorite apps (for Android) that would work well and get me as close to FPV flying as possible.

Many thanks to the forum in advance!!
RC

Greetings to all! Am brand new to the forum and could use some thoughts/opinions to get my phone synched up with some
VR goggles. All I want to do is basically use the DJI fly app which I use to 'View' my location when the drone is a bit far away.

I just want to get a VR app that allows that same the transmission. I bought the Bnext goggles which seem to fit pretty well...

Figured to see if anyone knows of some favorite apps (for Android) that would work well and get me as close to FPV flying as possible.

Many thanks to the forum in advance!!
RC
No apps for mini yet. DJI needs to release an SDK for it. Maybe later this year

Thank you for the reply Brett - Have been searching online for some 'hack' apps that might get me close - Some people have used single view?? and not sure I have that option with the goggles I got. Many thanks again for the reply! Any tips I'm all ears.

Thank you for the reply Brett - Have been searching online for some 'hack' apps that might get me close - Some people have used single view?? and not sure I have that option with the goggles I got. Many thanks again for the reply! Any tips I'm all ears.
Patience is all you can do unless your mobile device has an HDMI out

It's a micro C - but there are hdmi to c adapters. As I'm searching I did come across a thread somewhere here on the forums to where someone is basically looking to split the screen view from the go fly app and stick the phone in cheap vr goggles. Granted you lose the touch screen functionality from the app, but you ca view fpv and use the remote to fly. If there's anything that can get me there, I'd be happy! Many thanks again!!

It's a micro C - but there are hdmi to c adapters. As I'm searching I did come across a thread somewhere here on the forums to where someone is basically looking to split the screen view from the go fly app and stick the phone in cheap vr goggles. Granted you lose the touch screen functionality from the app, but you ca view fpv and use the remote to fly. If there's anything that can get me there, I'd be happy! Many thanks again!!
No you need an HDMI out in addition to your usb-c.

There’s no way to do what you want at the moment for the mini.

Good question, and welcome to a great place to learn. The reason, it's not possible to connect goggles, is a rule about visual line of sight. How will you comply with rule # 5 if you're wearing goggles ? Here's an abbreviated version of the rule:

Following these rules will keep you and your drone safe and will help keep the airspace available to everyone.
.Register your drone, mark (PDF) it on the outside with the registration number and carry proof of registration with you.
  1. Fly only for recreational purposes.
  2. Fly your drone at or below 400 feet above the ground when in uncontrolled (Class G) airspace.
  3. Obtain authorization before flying in controlled airspace (Class B, C, D, and E). You can obtain authorization in three ways:
    1. LAANC
    2. DroneZone
    3. A written agreement with the FAA for fixed flying sites. For more information about fixed flying sites, contact us at [email protected].
  4. NOTE: Flying drones in certain airspace is not allowed. Classes of airspace and flying restrictions can be found on our B4UFLY app.
  5. Keep your drone within your visual line of sight, or within the visual line-of-sight of a visual observer who is co-located (physically next to) and in direct communication with you.
  6. Do not fly at night unless your drone has lighting that allows you to know its location and orientation at all times.
  7. Give way to and do not interfere with manned aircraft.
  8. Never fly over any person or moving vehicle.
  9. Never interfere with emergency response activities such as disaster relief, any type of accident response, law enforcement activities, firefighting, or hurricane recovery efforts.
  10. Never fly under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Many over-the-counter medications have side effects that could impact your ability to safely operate your drone.
  11. Do not operate your drone in a careless or reckless manner.
Recreational flyers should know that if they intentionally violate any of these safety requirements, and/or operate in a careless or reckless manner, they could be liable for criminal and/or civil penalties.

For more information, read Advisory Circular 91-57B.

Changes Coming in the Future
The law also requires:

1. Drone operators to pass an online aeronautical knowledge and safety test and carry proof of test passage.
  2. The FAA to issue guidance for how it will recognize community based organizations.
The FAA is incrementally rolling out these features and requirements.

Check our website for the latest updates or follow us on social media for the latest news.

Page last modified: February 18, 2020 9:07:54 AM EST

I don't sympathize with FPV, for wearing prescription glasses. But also because I like to look around and see what happens around me, and I also like to touch the screen of my iPhone, that's why I don't need FPV on my MM. As they say here in Brazil: “preferences are not discussed”.?

Thank you all for the awesome responses & feedback. @Laborous thank you for the welcome!! @Cw4bray lots of good info - and I read up on all that. Drone set to 400ft. and as for line of site goes - on a grey day, and without binoculars straight line of site doesn't always work that well, especially for a mini. I rely quite a bit on the camera/phone video feed for positioning. The amount of glare had me thinking about fpv, hence arriving to this point. If logic prevailed fpv would increase vision so people can fly better if that's their preferred style. range = range as far as the drone is concerned provided that all safety regulations are adhered to. So 'line of sight' to me means seeing the drone clearly, the intent for my wanting FPV is to 'see' and fly with a greater degree of accuracy.

My putting on those incredibly awkward looking goggles is for more safety not less. perhaps DJI and FAA might realize that this is the point, or at least offer mandatory registration for fpv

@LtcdData thank you for the suggestion, I might go ahead and do that at some point, or maybe even get a different dji depending on cost.

@Adembar - very well said saying!! I would miss some of those features for sure on the touch aspects. I used to fly RC Heli's so used to flying manual and in within line of site. Given the gps advancements, my gaol for FPV is to see better.

Cheers & best to all,
RC

Thank you all for the awesome responses & feedback. @Laborous thank you for the welcome!! @Cw4bray lots of good info - and I read up on all that. Drone set to 400ft. and as for line of site goes - on a grey day, and without binoculars straight line of site doesn't always work that well, especially for a mini. I rely quite a bit on the camera/phone video feed for positioning. The amount of glare had me thinking about fpv, hence arriving to this point. If logic prevailed fpv would increase vision so people can fly better if that's their preferred style. range = range as far as the drone is concerned provided that all safety regulations are adhered to. So 'line of sight' to me means seeing the drone clearly, the intent for my wanting FPV is to 'see' and fly with a greater degree of accuracy.

My putting on those incredibly awkward looking goggles is for more safety not less. perhaps DJI and FAA might realize that this is the point, or at least offer mandatory registration for fpv

@LtcdData thank you for the suggestion, I might go ahead and do that at some point, or maybe even get a different dji depending on cost.

@Adembar - very well said saying!! I would miss some of those features for sure on the touch aspects. I used to fly RC Heli's so used to flying manual and in within line of site. Given the gps advancements, my gaol for FPV is to see better.

Cheers & best to all,
RC
Just for your information the visual of sight is a requirement not a recommendation. Binoculars aren’t acceptable to fulfill this requirement and neither is the goggles.

No judgement here just pointing out the rules so you understand them.

Honestly it’s one the less talked about cons of the mini and other small drones. Your ability to see them and stay within the law is much reduced. My Inspire can easily be seen for miles especially with anti collision lights.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki