DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FPV mode for mini 2?

Issicus

Reactions
I'm still a little fuzzy on what exactly makes a drone "FPV".
Goggles, control mode, speed of the drone, camera latency... Anything else?

Anyway my question is can a mini 2 be flown with the FPV style controls ?

I see it's your first post, so welcome to the forum.

There's the traditional style of FPV drone (racing, acrobatics, very nimble cinematic), the fairly new drone from DJI, and also the DJI FPV mode on their consumer drones like yours.

DJI named the fairly new FPV drone rather unfortunately, confuses it with the long standing FPV drone market, a generic total market name, rather than a specific model name.
While the DJI FPV drone does operate more like a traditional FPV drone in flying that mode and with goggles, the DJI FPV drone is a far more flexible unit that does cinematic and hybrid flying between the two.

It's also sort of confusing to new pilots with the FPV gimbal mode on most DJI consumer drones, where the gimbal is locked so it looks like the view from the pilots seat, rather than cinematic level gimbal (under most flight situations).

Flying with "FPV style controls" ?
Well you do now really, but usually true FPV controllers doesn't have a self centering left stick for altitude, maybe not for the right stick either, not sure there.
You have to constantly balance the flight on the sticks, TOTALLY different to flying a DJI drone with GPS stability etc.

I wouldn't think the DJI FPV goggles are compatible with the MA2.
You can no doubt set up the MA2 with a cable to goggles, would have to be the DJI white goggles, or the DJI RE goggles.

Keep in mind I think BOTH of these are now obsolete, but some retaielrs may still have stck in some countries, or they sometimes come up 2nd hand.

You can find some other non DJI goggles that work similarly cable connected, like the Yuneec brand . . .

Amazon.com: Customer reviews: Yuneec YUNTYSKL Typhoon Skyview L Camcorder Viewfinder, White

There are probably other option for goggles, google drone goggles and see what might come up that's economical brands are out there, if you want to try this view.

Reactions: Crashdummytest
As of this minute I do not think the Mini 2 is goggle compatible. At least I have been unable to find a good FPV setup for it.
I just made a thread about this because I made my own version of FPV with VR goggles a Tello drone and the Volatello app. It worked well but wasn't too great with the Tello because of the range so I would have loved to be able to get some goggles and make the mini 2 FPV and I think I found a way that supposedly looks awesome and is very easy.

I'm waiting to see what the others on the board think about this because I really don't know if I can get a better deal for the money but it's looking promising. Looks like you just need the Goggles and a longer transmitter to phone cord since the phone will be in the goggle case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bruchpilot
I just made a thread about this because I made my own version of FPV with VR goggles a Tello drone and the Volatello app. It worked well but wasn't too great with the Tello because of the range so I would have loved to be able to get some goggles and make the mini 2 FPV and I think I found a way that supposedly looks awesome and is very easy.

I'm waiting to see what the others on the board think about this because I really don't know if I can get a better deal for the money but it's looking promising. Looks like you just need the Google's and a longer transmitter to phone cord since the phone will be in the goggle case.

This uses your phone, so yes it's possible as all you need is the longer cord to reach.
It's not true FPV, but can give you a taste and much better viewing in bright daylight.

It is outside drone rules for VLOS without a spotter in most airspace regulation developed countries though.

There is a video by Ken Heron where he “hacks” and uses a wifi thing and some of the original white goggles. I emailed his asking about latency and he says there is some but you get used to it.
There are many many people who would love to be able to do FPV with the MM, Air 2, Air 2s and the Mini 2. Come on DJI!
I saw his video because I was looking for various work-arounds and I had my doubts that DJI would make this happen and still do but that's ok,I bought it as is and figured I'd just do FPV with a 5 inch X.. as far as latency with these Goggles,There shouldn't be any more than there is with phone in controller since it's just a matter of a longer wire.

This uses your phone, so yes it's possible as all you need is the longer cord to reach.
It's not true FPV, but can give you a taste and much better viewing in bright daylight.

It is outside drone rules for VLOS without a spotter in most airspace regulation developed countries though.
There is another cool side that I am going to personally like about these Goggles is augmented reality capabilities. They have a cut out for your phones camera for that purpose and I'm still a fan of VR/ AR.. Be cool seeing Godzilla sitting on my neighbor's house. Lol

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz

Actually, I'm not sure that's right.

I'm on the Pilot Institute mailing list, and Greg just sent out an article titled "Is FPV Legal?"

He lays out clearly that the FAA VLOS rules say that a pilot must BE ABLE to see their drone during the entire flight. The rules DO NOT say that you have to be constantly watching it.

Hence, it's perfectly legal to look at the screen while you're flying, as long as you CAN see the drone when you look at it.

That made a lot more sense to me than some of the...less focused...comments that I sometimes see on the subject.

In the distant, mythical future when I can afford to get the DJI FPV Drone, I expect to use Visual Observers, but it's not strictly required by the rules.

TCS

He lays out clearly that the FAA VLOS rules say that a pilot must BE ABLE to see their drone during the entire flight. The rules DO NOT say that you have to be constantly watching it.

Hence, it's perfectly legal to look at the screen while you're flying, as long as you CAN see the drone when you look at it.

That made a lot more sense to me than some of the...less focused...comments that I sometimes see on the subject.

In the distant, mythical future when I can afford to get the DJI FPV Drone, I expect to use Visual Observers, but it's not strictly required by the rules.

I've always said that about VLOS and using a screen device, technically we're on the screen 99% of the time while flying, when videoing or composing photos.
It's a FACT of drone life.

So yes, I personally feel *(see below) it's reasonable to assume that if you can look up from your screen device while flying and see you drone pretty much immediately, you are within the VLOS rule.

We ALL know how hard that is in real life.
If you fly away watching your drone, you can see it to X distance (always different for most all pilots of course), while looking up from a screen, you'd be lucky to see it within a short time at the same distance, more than likely I'd guess the distance would have to be about half the distance that you could see the drone under a constant watch.

Goggles though are not legal, been clarified many times by many sources . . . A quick google covering your US results using FAA in the search terms . . . faa fpv goggle and vlos

This one stands out from Pilots Institute . . .

"The FAA states one specific situation in which a visual observer is necessary – when the drone is being operated in FPV. Flying in FPV does not satisfy VLOS requirements as it does not achieve the same level of situational awareness as having eyes on the drone. In such a situation, it is the duty of the visual observer to maintain VLOS and warn the drone pilot of any potential hazards."

* Again, that little sentence " . . . as it does not achieve the same level of situational awareness as having eyes on the drone."
Always bothers me as it implies you must have your eyes on the drone, not any other place like a screen !!

Even our own CASA (your FAA equivalent here) states . . .

THIS BOTHERS ME . . .

"Flying First Person View (FPV) makes use of an onboard camera that relays live video to goggles, mobile phone or tablet screen.
When you fly FPV, you can only see vision from the onboard camera. Flying FPV limits your situational awareness and may lead to disorientation. Flying FPV increases the risk of the drone colliding with trees, people, birds or even other aircraft. Without situational awareness, you may not be able to manoeuvre the drone in time to prevent a collision."

Then the following text on the CASA page states clearly flying FPV is banned for recreational drone flight, not even with an observer !!
You need approval, fly as part of a club, or get commercial EVLOS (same as BVLOS).

I've always said that about VLOS and using a screen device, technically we're on the screen 99% of the time while flying, when videoing or composing photos.
It's a FACT of drone life.

So yes, I personally feel *(see below) it's reasonable to assume that if you can look up from your screen device while flying and see you drone pretty much immediately, you are within the VLOS rule.

We ALL know how hard that is in real life.
If you fly away watching your drone, you can see it to X distance (always different for most all pilots of course), while looking up from a screen, you'd be lucky to see it within a short time at the same distance, more than likely I'd guess the distance would have to be about half the distance that you could see the drone under a constant watch.

Goggles though are not legal, been clarified many times by many sources . . . A quick google covering your US results using FAA in the search terms . . . faa fpv goggle and vlos

This one stands out from Pilots Institute . . .

"The FAA states one specific situation in which a visual observer is necessary – when the drone is being operated in FPV. Flying in FPV does not satisfy VLOS requirements as it does not achieve the same level of situational awareness as having eyes on the drone. In such a situation, it is the duty of the visual observer to maintain VLOS and warn the drone pilot of any potential hazards."

* Again, that little sentence " . . . as it does not achieve the same level of situational awareness as having eyes on the drone."
Always bothers me as it implies you must have your eyes on the drone, not any other place like a screen !!

Even our own CASA (your FAA equivalent here) states . . .

THIS BOTHERS ME . . .

"Flying First Person View (FPV) makes use of an onboard camera that relays live video to goggles, mobile phone or tablet screen.
When you fly FPV, you can only see vision from the onboard camera. Flying FPV limits your situational awareness and may lead to disorientation. Flying FPV increases the risk of the drone colliding with trees, people, birds or even other aircraft. Without situational awareness, you may not be able to manoeuvre the drone in time to prevent a collision."

Then the following text on the CASA page states clearly flying FPV is banned for recreational drone flight, not even with an observer !!
You need approval, fly as part of a club, or get commercial EVLOS (same as BVLOS).
Hopefully Greg or someone from PI will chime in with a clarification. because there seems to be a contradiction. That probably just means I'm not seeing something...but I'd like to know what it is!

With the strobe, I can pretty reliably look up and acquire it. I keep a rough 3D map in my head of where it is. Without the strobe it's much less reliable. In my case, the vast majority of the time I'm looking at the drone with a background of...well...ground. Rocks and dirt and trees. That's what happens when you fly in a canyon! Without the strobe, the drone easily gets lost in the ground clutter.

In a practical sense in my case, there are no manned fixed wing aircraft operating in my canyon at relevant altitudes. If the did, they'd be eating granite long before they ate my drone. We do get a fair amount of helicopter traffic, but they aren't stealthy; you can hear them quite a way off. If I was flying and I heard a helicopter approaching, I'd land.

The quote that you say bothers you, bothers me too, because it doesn't make sense. It paints a picture of a sky buzzing full with things to hit, like flying into a swarm of locusts. Reality just isn't like that. Big sky, small aircraft, the reason VFR flight. works. If I'm flying toward a tree straight on, the screen gives vastly BETTER situational awareness than just looking at it.

The current VLOS rules are an overly restrictive mess, which will eventually get sorted out. Doing that rationality requires an emphasis on PROBABILITY, rather than POSSIBILITY. It also requires making a distinction between high traffic environments and low traffic environments...which goes to probability. It also requires making a distinction between high POPULATION density environments, dense packed cities vs corn fields, which also goes to probability.

But, I'm not holding my breath, and when I do eventually get my FPV, I plan to use Visual Observers.

Thx,

TCS

I'm still a little fuzzy on what exactly makes a drone "FPV".
Goggles, control mode, speed of the drone, camera latency... Anything else?

Anyway my question is can a mini 2 be flown with the FPV style controls ?
FPV is a flying mode where you actually "pilot" the aircraft with all freedom of movements. I am used to say to people that dji drones are controlled, not piloted. You have one control on the left hand that sticks in the middle, if you push up it goes up, if you release it stops in the air, if you go down or to the sides, its the same result. On FPV mode you control motor speed instead of the up or down command, and if you turn right and are on real fpv mode, you might roll right instead of moving to the right. In other words, when you push the aileron control to the right, you will incline the drone and you have to manually compensate the vertical thrust component and incline back if you want to level and perhaps a little bit to the opposite side if you want it to stop. So you are now not controlling it, you are "driving" or "piloting" it. This would be my best guess.

FPV is a flying mode where you actually "pilot" the aircraft with all freedom of movements. I am used to say to people that dji drones are controlled, not piloted. You have one control on the left hand that sticks in the middle, if you push up it goes up, if you release it stops in the air, if you go down or to the sides, its the same result. On FPV mode you control motor speed instead of the up or down command, and if you turn right and are on real fpv mode, you might roll right instead of moving to the right. In other words, when you push the aileron control to the right, you will incline the drone and you have to manually compensate the vertical thrust component and incline back if you want to level and perhaps a little bit to the opposite side if you want it to stop. So you are now not controlling it, you are "driving" or "piloting" it. This would be my best guess.
That's certainly the way the DJI FPV works. I got mine about a month ago, and I just started flying in Manual mode a couple of days ago. VERY different.

When I first became interested in First Person View (FPV) flying, I was mostly interested in the "View" part, a fully immersive experience where you feel like you're riding the drone and flying it.

A Mini-2 could produce that experience if it could link to the FPV goggles, which it currently can't.

In Normal and Sport modes, the DJI FPV flies like a big, fat, fast, powerful Mini-2. To unlock the full power of the FPV, you need to go into Manual mode. But in addition to giving full power access, Manual mode also disables all of the flight stability systems. You have to learn to fly the aircraft without them.

I'm making decent progress with doing that, but I have no real interest in doing that. It's just a "tax" that I have to pay to get access to the full power of the machine!

:cool:

Well here is my FPV experience with the Mini 2, I have the Smart controller and the Yunnec FPV goggles which plug directly into the HDMI port of the Smart Controller, So far works like a champ! Not really interested in true FPV but this does give me a different perspective and definitely when you put the controller in FPV mode. Plan on adding the Air 2s to the smart controller for the same effect.

Yes it has the HDMI out, I use the Yuneec googles, though many use the DJI VR goggles Ver 1 with the smart controller as well.
Interesting.

I found this:

...very informative, from my position of relative ignorance.

However, there was no mention of the controller with this configuration, suggesting it would work with the "stock" controller.

Is that consistent with your understanding?

Thx!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman