DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 [FPV] Mountain Surfing at a Swiss Mountain Pass

david.dudas

Reactions
Not sure if I'm allowed to post this here as it was recorded with a custom drone with the DJI O3 AirUnit and a Gopro, so if i break some rules please excuse me and just delete my thread :)

I would like to share with you a thrilling experience, my first proper FPV flight in the Swiss Mountains. It really gives you a lot of adrenaline as you fly around with 50 mph, 20 cm to the ground :) Enjoy!

I uploaded it in 4k HDR so it looks best on a HDR TV.

Cheers!

Not sure if I'm allowed to post this here as it was recorded with a custom drone with the DJI O3 AirUnit and a Gopro, so if i break some rules please excuse me and just delete my thread :)

I would like to share with you a thrilling experience, my first proper FPV flight in the Swiss Mountains. It really gives you a lot of adrenaline as you fly around with 50 mph, 20 cm to the ground :) Enjoy!

Cheers!

If you broke some rules - I’m glad you did. Fantastic flying!

Reactions: david.dudas
Fabulous footage and thanks for sharing. Love the FPV stuff-our friend AlexMarcov does some brilliant FPV work and posts regularly.

Nice video and great flying

Cheers!

Nice work & thanks for sharing.

What is the effect of blurring the sides of the video called and why is it done? I see it quite often on TV news and am wondering why?

Great video!

Gopro has an 8:7 aspect ratio, and I tried a 16:9 cut, but it chopped off the top and bottom part of the video, so the distant mountains or the blurry objects which gives the immersive feel, were gone, so i had to experiment what to put on the sides. Because it looked bad when i just left black bars.

so i put the same video under the original , streched out a bit and applied some directional blur in davinci to have this effect, instead of just having some black bars. i think it's interesting. :)

Maybe for the next i try to key frame it a bit to move the camera up and down depending on the scene. Let's see. It's a fun hobby :)

Gopro has an 8:7 aspect ratio, and I tried a 16:9 cut, but it chopped off the top and bottom part of the video, so the distant mountains or the blurry objects which gives the immersive feel, were gone, so i had to experiment what to put on the sides. Because it looked bad when i just left black bars.

so i put the same video under the original , streched out a bit and applied some directional blur in davinci to have this effect, instead of just having some black bars. i think it's interesting. :)

Maybe for the next i try to key frame it a bit to move the camera up and down depending on the scene. Let's see. It's a fun hobby :)
I see. When you capture in 8:7 aspect ratio, you feel like you’re cutting off important parts of image. If you captured in 16x9, you wouldn’t think about what you cropped out.

IMHO, what you’ll notice is that, from a composition perspective, there’s a lot of sky and the bottom of the frame is mostly motion blur. A little motion blur is good, but 1/3 of the frame is a distraction. Considering the rule of 3rds, the sky generally wouldn’t be more than 1/3 of the frame, unless the sky is the primary subject (i.e. sunset). FPV is unique because there’s more speed and more movement in the frame. Non-FPV drones have to use the gimbal and creative cuts to achieve a comparative dramatic effect. As humans tend toward a more horizontal field of view, ignoring above and below, if the image is square, it feels unnatural, blocking our natural peripheral vision. I think your idea of cropping and key framing would be worth experimenting.

I see. When you capture in 8:7 aspect ratio, you feel like you’re cutting off important parts of image. If you captured in 16x9, you wouldn’t think about what you cropped out.

IMHO, what you’ll notice is that, from a composition perspective, there’s a lot of sky and the bottom of the frame is mostly motion blur. A little motion blur is good, but 1/3 of the frame is a distraction. Considering the rule of 3rds, the sky generally wouldn’t be more than 1/3 of the frame, unless the sky is the primary subject (i.e. sunset). FPV is unique because there’s more speed and more movement in the frame. Non-FPV drones have to use the gimbal and creative cuts to achieve a comparative dramatic effect. As humans tend toward a more horizontal field of view, ignoring above and below, if the image is square, it feels unnatural, blocking our natural peripheral vision. I think your idea of cropping and key framing would be worth experimenting.
Thanks for the tips, I'll try it next time Thumbswayup:)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne