DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FPV

You can get a FPV view from whatever drone you like that uses an app in a mobile device (preferably a phone) which provides a live view.

They are called "Box goggles" ... going with a pair of these for instance --> MagiMask Drone Headset will give a really good picture quality & doesn't require any special feature from the app (as they are single lens). The only drawback is that you can't reach any app buttons as the phone is in the goggles, so you either just have them for flying around or you have to rely on any HW buttons you might have on the remote it self.

1635519314089.png

Reactions: hiflyer201
Interesting. I never thought of this configuration.

I'm looking for something a wee bit higher end than that, with a display that's integral to the goggles.

This doesn't seem to be "real" FPV to me. But I say that with no real knowledge of the issue.

What does a "real" FPV configuration do for you, that this configuration doesn't?

Thx!

TCS

Well ... you asked for the cheapest possible, & this with MagiMask, even though not the cheapest Box goggle alternative, will give you equal good picture as what you see on your live view in the app with all telemetry in the same place as where you're used to have them ... the MagiMask goggles mainly help you focus in that close distance. And that they are single lens means that no special "2 part view" mode needs to be there in the app (Litchi have it for instance). Just move your phone from the RC & put them in the MagiMask ... with the usb cable still attached to your RC.

Honestly ... I would say that these have a view on par with the DJI white goggles that can be used with some of the "not so recent DJI drone models" ... Like Mavic Pro 1, Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom & a couple others.

What you lose compared to the DJI white goggles (discontinued nowadays) is that the whites have their own user interface that can be handled with the goggles on through a touch sensitive area outside the goggles ... so you can take photos, switch between modes & make some changes in the menus. With Occysync equipped drones (Mavic Pro 1 & Mavic 2's) you also get rid of the usb cable as the goggles connect directly to the drone itself independently of the RC & you can still have you phone attached to the RC, neat when you take off or coming in for a landing, just raise the goggles & look at your phone & have a better situation awareness there close to the ground.

The DJI white goggles:
1635538957226.png

But the DJI goggle setup is much, much more expensive ... first the goggles, they can be bought second hand only, for like ... 3 times the price of the MagiMask ... to that you need a specific drone (those I've mentioned) ... also works with Mavic Air 1 but only with usb cable & with that you need to take off with the phone app to the RC, then unplug the cable from your phone & put it in the goggles, otherwise you face a 30m height & 50m range limitation because you don't take off through the GO4 app.

Also note that these white DJI goggles doesn't work with the newest DJI drone models ... like Mavic Air 2 & 2s or Mini 2. And forget about the DJI FPV goggles (V1 & V2) ... they only work with the DJI FPV drone & quads equipped with the DJI Air unit.

DJI FPV goggles:
1635539612997.png

... and this with "real FPV", if you go with your phone in a pair of box goggles or with the more expensive DJI goggles both will have the live view inside the goggles & cut off your peripheral view making you only see what the drone sees, giving you a more immersive experience. What matters is the live view quality & latency. And regarding these 2 thing's you can look at your phone app today, with the MagiMask it will be the same.

The view into my own MovieMask (predecessor to MagiMask) with my phone running the GO4 app:

(Click on the pic. to make it larger)
View in the Movie Mask goggles.jpg

Also search for Moverio glasses ... can also be a (expensive) alternative ...

Moverio:

1635540958019.png

Last edited:
Reactions: hiflyer201
Well ... you asked for the cheapest possible, & this with MagiMask, even though not the cheapest Box goggle alternative, will give you equal good picture as what you see on your live view in the app with all telemetry in the same place as where you're used to have them ... the MagiMask goggles mainly help you focus in that close distance. And that they are single lens means that no special "2 part view" mode needs to be there in the app (Litchi have it for instance). Just move your phone from the RC & put them in the MagiMask ... with the usb cable still attached to your RC.

Honestly ... I would say that these have a view on par with the DJI white goggles that can be used with some of the "not so recent DJI drone models" ... Like Mavic Pro 1, Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom & a couple others.

What you lose compared to the DJI white goggles (discontinued nowadays) is that the whites have their own user interface that can be handled with the goggles on through a touch sensitive area outside the goggles ... so you can take photos, switch between modes & make some changes in the menus. With Occysync equipped drones (Mavic Pro 1 & Mavic 2's) you also get rid of the usb cable as the goggles connect directly to the drone itself independently of the RC & you can still have you phone attached to the RC, neat when you take off or coming in for a landing, just raise the goggles & look at your phone & have a better situation awareness there close to the ground.

The DJI white goggles:
View attachment 137457

But the DJI goggle setup is much, much more expensive ... first the goggles, they can be bought second hand only, for like ... 3 times the price of the MagiMask ... to that you need a specific drone (those I've mentioned) ... also works with Mavic Air 1 but only with usb cable & with that you need to take off with the phone app to the RC, then unplug the cable from your phone & put it in the goggles, otherwise you face a 30m height & 50m range limitation because you don't take off through the GO4 app.

Also note that these white DJI goggles doesn't work with the newest DJI drone models ... like Mavic Air 2 & 2s or Mini 2. And forget about the DJI FPV goggles (V1 & V2) ... they only work with the DJI FPV drone & quads equipped with the DJI Air unit.

DJI FPV goggles:
View attachment 137458

... and this with "real FPV", if you go with your phone in a pair of box goggles or with the more expensive DJI goggles both will have the live view inside the goggles & cut off your peripheral view making you only see what the drone sees, giving you a more immersive experience. What matters is the live view quality & latency. And regarding these 2 thing's you can look at your phone app today, with the MagiMask it will be the same.

The view into my own MovieMask (predecessor to MagiMask) with my phone running the GO4 app:

View attachment 137463

Moverio:

View attachment 137460
I have been using the MOVERIO glasses for more than a year, and LOVE them because you get great screen view and still have the Visual Line Of Sight that the FAA requires. They run the APP as an Android so what you see on an Android phone, you see on these! One other note - if you have a Smart Controller, you can plug them into the SC.

If using "goggles" that would require a spotter - would it not, as no way for the pilot to have visual of the drone?
I have been using the MOVERIO glasses for more than a year, and LOVE them because you get great screen view and still have the Visual Line Of Sight that the FAA requires. They run the APP as an Android so what you see on an Android phone, you see on these! One other note - if you have a Smart Controller, you can plug them into the SC.

The DJI white goggles:
View attachment 137457

DJI FPV goggles:
View attachment 137458

View attachment 137463

Moverio:

View attachment 137460
This is great information, thanks!

I'm not really happy with the view on my phone, which is why the "box goggles" don't really appeal to me. I have a shade around my phone/controller, which helps, but I'm looking for a step up from that.

The DJI FPV combination is, what, $1300? If that's the answer, then that's the answer, but I'm looking for something more than a box, but cheaper than that!

If it exists...

Again, thanks!

TCS

I'm looking for something more immersive than this.

Thanks!

TCS

If you want actual FPV (i.e not just a camera drone) and from DJI then there's only one, the DJI FPV. Or you can build a custom quad with the DJI air unit/caddx vista and use that with the DJI FPV Goggles.

I'm looking for something more immersive...
When you say immersive I interpret that more to the flying itself... than position & line up your photo drone. Using goggles with a photo drone doesn't get especially immersive IMO, the view isn't spoiled by reflections or low light mobile device screens but that's it, you will never get the feeling that you yourself are flying as long as you can't dive ...

If you want to get it immersive you buy in on real FPV quad flying ... that's immersive & a fun challenge to learn how to master. It's a expensive system to buy into, granted (DJI digital that is) ... but if you go with something else than the "DJI FPV drone" & instead put your money into a pre-built quad equipped with the DJI Air unit it will be cheaper in the long run. The initial investment is rather similar ... but with the DJI Air unit equipped quad you later can add on other approx $400 pre-built quads (or build your own) in your stable & reuse your batteries, charger, goggles & controller, you mainly only add in another craft & keep on using all other accessories.

And don't worry about the shorter flight times when it comes to FPV quad flying ... you will have a hard time to keep your concentration up flying acro FPV, with a reasonably effective smaller quad flown fast 10 minutes flight times/battery will be plenty. Want more go with LiIon batteries and fly 20-30 minutes cruising flights.

Generalizing a bit here, but ...
Tighter place with smaller obstacles, use a 2-4" quad
A more open location, but not overly large, with bigger obstacles which require higher speeds go with a 4-5" quad
Going longer distance with higher cruising speeds, carrying larger batteries & a camera for hi res filming ... 5-7" quad

Reactions: Kilrah
If you want actual FPV (i.e not just a camera drone) and from DJI then there's only one, the DJI FPV. Or you can build a custom quad with the DJI air unit/caddx vista and use that with the DJI FPV Goggles.
I definitely want a full up factory-built unit.

I dunno...a $1300 drone and a $2000 computer...that's starting to get a little painful! And with winter coming up fast...

But this is what I needed, that actual data to chew on.

Thanks!

TCS

When you say immersive I interpret that more to the flying itself... than position & line up your photo drone. Using goggles with a photo drone doesn't get especially immersive IMO, the view isn't spoiled by reflections or low light mobile device screens but that's it, you will never get the feeling that you yourself are flying as long as you can't dive ...

If you want to get it immersive you buy in on real FPV quad flying ... that's immersive & a fun challenge to learn how to master. It's a expensive system to buy into, granted (DJI digital that is) ... but if you go with something else than the "DJI FPV drone" & instead put your money into a pre-built quad equipped with the DJI Air unit it will be cheaper in the long run. The initial investment is rather similar ... but with the DJI Air unit equipped quad you later can add on other approx $400 pre-built quads (or build your own) in your stable & reuse your batteries, charger, goggles & controller, you mainly only add in another craft & keep on using all other accessories.

And don't worry about the shorter flight times when it comes to FPV quad flying ... you will have a hard time to keep your concentration up flying acro FPV, with a reasonably effective smaller quad flown fast 10 minutes flight times/battery will be plenty. Want more go with LiIon batteries and fly 20-30 minutes cruising flights.

Generalizing a bit here, but ...
Tighter place with smaller obstacles, use a 2-4" quad
A more open location, but not overly large, with bigger obstacles which require higher speeds go with a 4-5" quad
Going longer distance with higher cruising speeds, carrying larger batteries & a camera for hi res filming ... 5-7" quad
You interpret correctly!

I plan to ooze into more sophisticated photography over time, but for now, I just want to zip around the canyon with the visual sense that I'm sitting on the drone while doing it!

I'll have the two Mini-2s, so I'll stick with them for the Northwest Passage and similar runs. For this one, I'm looking for a ride!

I seriously DON'T expect to get in to aerobatics! Although, I did take an aerobatics course in a Part 61 plane, and did well.

Thx,

TCS

Good FPV build can be about 1/10 the cost of a DJI consumer drone product.
You would be far better off building your own, there are PLENTY of YT tutorials that take you right through first builds.
Go look up Joshua Bardwell channel, he's done quite a lot, and recent ones.

Building it yourself, it's easy to repair, thought FPV drones are MUCH more resistant to crashes than DJI products, mostly you just need some spare props.
Flying though (unless the DJI FPV) is all sticks all the time, no easy hovering, moving is best, and most important, back to the big flat, open, oval / sports ground to learn to fly.

Cinematic FPV looks great, check YT for COLA, Ellis van Jason, Maik Kellerhals, Bradley FPV, so many more.

plan to ooze into more sophisticated photography over time, but for now, I just want to zip around the canyon with the visual sense that I'm sitting on the drone while doing it!
You'll love the FPV for that.

No need for the $2k computer to enjoy the moment though :)

You interpret correctly!

... I just want to zip around the canyon with the visual sense that I'm sitting on the drone while doing it!
...I seriously DON'T expect to get in to aerobatics! Although
In that case you should go full FPV quad for immersive flying & leave your photo drones to what they are best for.

It will be digital if you want some viewing quality ... not analog, & it will most probably be DJI straight through goggles, controller & video/camera unit on that quad.

And if you by "aerobatics" mean flippy flops ... that entirely up to you, scenic FPV flying is relaxing. But if you mean the mode called acro (no height hold, not horizontally stabilized & no tilt angle limitations) it's another thing, that require some training, preferably in a simulator before you try it for real... & it's acro that will give you that immersive pilots seat view of the flight.

If you're committed to go for it, I recommend you going into it in 2 steps ... first buy a controller (absolutely easiest is to go with the DJI FPV controller first version) & a simulator for your PC (Velocidrone good for a bit older slower computers or Liftoff if your computer can handle it).

Then during the winter you practice there in full acro mode ... after 30-50h you should be able to fly without any disasters, the only thing that still is unknown for you by then is aerodynamic stuff like how fast will your real quad fall when you cut the throttle, how will it slide in the turns, affected by winds... & thing's like that, but after 2 real flights with your real quad you will have figured that out & can go exploring in a cruising manor.

Once you have seen that you can learn & progress in the simulator ... it's time to spend on the full kit with a "Bind & Fly" quad, the DJI FPV goggles, a charger & batteries. The total spending will be similar as if you go with the DJI FPV drone. So going with a pre-built "Bind & Fly" quad will not be cheaper, will not be more difficult to get to work (all is DJI so ...), will not require you to tinker or solder anything ... you're just cheaper prepared for the second quad that eventually will come & can reuse most of the accessories 😁

I started exactly like this ... bought this "long range" 4", DJI goggles, the DJI controller, charger & 3 different types of batteries that will give different characteristics regarding weight, how agile the quad feels & flight times.

1635720919585.png1635720951011.png
Now a year later I have 2 more quads ... one 5" & one 7". Use them all 3 regularly but for different purposes.

This was from a short 2 battery pack test flight of a new location & to see if unstabilized footage from my old GoPro 3+ could be used at all (as I had lent my GoPro 10 to a friend) ... no flip flops, just flowy cruising, perhaps not especially scenic but ...

In that case you should go full FPV quad for immersive flying & leave your photo drones to what they are best for.

It will be digital if you want some viewing quality ... not analog, & it will most probably be DJI straight through goggles, controller & video/camera unit on that quad.

And if you by "aerobatics" mean flippy flops ... that entirely up to you, scenic FPV flying is relaxing. But if you mean the mode called acro (no height hold, not horizontally stabilized & no tilt angle limitations) it's another thing, that require some training, preferably in a simulator before you try it for real... & it's acro that will give you that immersive pilots seat view of the flight.

If you're committed to go for it, I recommend you going into it in 2 steps ... first buy a controller (absolutely easiest is to go with the DJI FPV controller first version) & a simulator for your PC (Velocidrone good for a bit older slower computers or Liftoff if your computer can handle it).

Then during the winter you practice there in full acro mode ... after 30-50h you should be able to fly without any disasters, the only thing that still is unknown for you by then is aerodynamic stuff like how fast will your real quad fall when you cut the throttle, how will it slide in the turns, affected by winds... & thing's like that, but after 2 real flights with your real quad you will have figured that out & can go exploring in a cruising manor.

Once you have seen that you can learn & progress in the simulator ... it's time to spend on the full kit with a "Bind & Fly" quad, the DJI FPV goggles, a charger & batteries. The total spending will be similar as if you go with the DJI FPV drone. So going with a pre-built "Bind & Fly" quad will not be cheaper, will not be more difficult to get to work (all is DJI so ...), will not require you to tinker or solder anything ... you're just cheaper prepared for the second quad that eventually will come & can reuse most of the accessories 😁

I started exactly like this ... bought this "long range" 4", DJI goggles, the DJI controller, charger & 3 different types of batteries that will give different characteristics regarding weight, how agile the quad feels & flight times.

View attachment 137562View attachment 137563
Now a year later I have 2 more quads ... one 5" & one 7". Use them all 3 regularly but for different purposes.

This was from a short 2 battery pack test flight of a new location & to see if unstabilized footage from my old GoPro 3+ could be used at all (as I had lent my GoPro 10 to a friend) ... no flip flops, just flowy cruising, perhaps not especially scenic but ...

I've definitely decided that I'm going to go the DJI FPV route, although the cost means it's not going to happen for a while.

First I need to get my new computer, which I need to do for a wide range of things, in addition to drone video editing. Bad timing on my part, given the chip shortage, but once I get the specs finalized, I'll get some quotes, and see where I actually stand.

But I really need to do it...

Thx!

TCS

I've definitely decided that I'm going to go the DJI FPV route, although the cost means it's not going to happen for a while.

Keep an eye on classifieds, especially here on this forum.
The FOV has come up for sale (some with great kit) already.
Maybe some try FOV and can’t handle the goggles part and decide it’s not for them.

Curiosity made me test FPV mode in Litchi.
Completely astounded by this experience of controlling the gimbal and turning the drone with head movements.
using the "Immersive mode".
The only viewer that I had was a google cardboard viewer but it worked.
I am now waiting for a proper VR Box with its own little "game controller"
I am wondering if this controller would eliminate having to remove the goggles to make adjustments to the app.
Having said that I will only be testing this on a very wide open field for now.

Just tested this with Litchi vue on a second iOS device and yes that works too - simply amazing.

Either way you do need a second person to help.
Attached - for the benefit of anyone new to this.
John
Screen Shot 2021-12-15 at 6.03.33 am.png

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661