DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FPV

Mavic19963

Reactions
I’m a bit confused about the FPV thing. FPV is ‘First Person View’ and that means piloting your UAS via the onboard camera. When I search anything FPV, I always come up with drone racing. I don’t want to race. I want to get answers on how to navigate a UAS via the onboard camera. Let’s say I want to inspect a tower. Part 107 says I have to fly VLOS. Fine! Then how do I navigate a tower inspection without FPV? To do so would be a disaster in the making using VLOS!
Let’s stop the use of the term ‘FPV’ in a racing mode!

The term is already widely used and posting on a forum isn't going to do anything but waste your time. The same thing when people started using the word DRONE.... us purest didn't want it used but it "stuck" with the masses and here we are.

Then how do I navigate a tower inspection without FPV?
From the reading I’ve done on this these forum sites(Inspire,Phantom, and Matrice), I don’t recall anyone complaining about not being able to do“tower inspections“with the current and or some of the past production models that are/were available for that type of work.
Did I read something wrong in your post?

Reactions: BigAl07
I want to get answers on how to navigate a UAS via the onboard camera. Let’s say I want to inspect a tower. Part 107 says I have to fly VLOS. Fine! Then how do I navigate a tower inspection without FPV? To do so would be a disaster in the making using VLOS!

Do you mean FPV in a sense of watching your device screen ?
(Technically this is FPV too, but not as restrictive as goggles FPV).

That is ok, you must be able to look up and see your drone to adhere to the VLOS rule, that's all.
Perfectly ok to view the device to carefully negotiate power lines etc, and see what you are filming or inspecting for damage and the likes.

FPV, yes, it can be a confusing acronym when you consider the terms can be used for numerous things.
Not only UAV as in quads and other multirotors, but model winged aircraft, helis, model boats, car, endless.
Then there is FPV as in goggle wearing atti style quad flying style of flying, be it acro or cinematic.
Then there is the fairly new DJI FPV drone, which they unfortunately gave it a generic term for a name !
Then on our DJI consumer drones, we also have FPV mode, which mimics turns in an aircraft banking.

Last edited:
I’m a bit confused about the FPV thing. FPV is ‘First Person View’ and that means piloting your UAS via the onboard camera. When I search anything FPV, I always come up with drone racing. I don’t want to race. I want to get answers on how to navigate a UAS via the onboard camera. Let’s say I want to inspect a tower. Part 107 says I have to fly VLOS. Fine! Then how do I navigate a tower inspection without FPV? To do so would be a disaster in the making using VLOS!
Let’s stop the use of the term ‘FPV’ in a racing mode!

I think you have a misunderstanding of the rules at least in terms of "inspections". Part 107 does "allow" for a temporary loss of VLOS but we are instructed to do what we can to regain VLOS and to do so ASAP. Flying behind a structure will obstruct VLOS but only for a moment.

Also using a VO greatly enhances your overall Situational Awareness and the VO can temporarily assume VLOS while you look down and operate the aircraft FPV. That's exactly how we operate and it's a rock solid business model to employ.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrDew